Author Topic: Frontier City Developments  (Read 175194 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier City Developments
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
Actually last year was not the first time Silver Bullet got stuck like that.  It has happened in the past but not as well known.  My understanding was it was a sensor malfunction which caused the safety systems to go into effect locking the train. 

Does anybody know if they have done anything with the BBQ restaurant out there?  The last year or 2 I have been there they have never opened it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »
I heard the BBQ restaurant will operate again this summer, but it might have limited hours and only operate when it is busier?

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »
I contacted the park and found out they plan to open the Bbq for the first time this season. The Kitchen and counter have been renovated or slightly remodeled like all the other eating establishments in the park. Everysingle food counter in the park had extensive refreshes through out the park. You will notice the changes if you are a regular or familiar with the park.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2017, 04:10:17 AM »
Thinking about going to Frontier City in July. I will be staying overnight and attending the park all day. Wondering if a person needs one or two days to fully experience the park. Also like to know if there is any special deals out there. I seen where some hotels offered a package deal that included tickets to the park.....seemed like a good deal. Figure I would check on this site before I booked the trip......will also be going to Six Flags over Texas July 13-16 and will be at Frontier City July 16-17. Thanks in advance for your help.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
Thinking about going to Frontier City in July. I will be staying overnight and attending the park all day. Wondering if a person needs one or two days to fully experience the park. Also like to know if there is any special deals out there. I seen where some hotels offered a package deal that included tickets to the park.....seemed like a good deal. Figure I would check on this site before I booked the trip......will also be going to Six Flags over Texas July 13-16 and will be at Frontier City July 16-17. Thanks in advance for your help.

One day is probably enough.  It's not SDC.  Be ready to face crowds of teens, and check to see if there are any company parties in the park on the day(s) of your visit.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
You can "do" frontier city in a matter of hours, especially if there are no crowds. It's a small park and there aren't many big rides that are worth re-riding over and over again. I wish they'd rebuild the last half of Wildcat because that ride would be worth the trip alone if it weren't for the way they screwed it up.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2017, 09:12:44 PM »
If you go on a non-concert day you can complete the park in about 4 hours if not less. 
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
Buy 1, get 1 free coupons at most Kum & Gos

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
Hey, guess what got stuck on the lift yesterday?? Yep, the Silver Bullet and firefighters had to rescue the riders once again (I've decided to always ride in the back now.....I'm a wimp). This makes 5 times in the last nine years people have had to be rescued off the ride:

1. August 2008
2. August 2014
3. June 2016
4. May 2017
5. June 2017

Jay

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Yep I saw that on the news yesterday.  I am afraid that coasters days may be numbered.  I am not sure why they can't get it fixed though.  We drove by Sunday and the place looked packed.  There was a big line for Silver Bullet as well as the Steel Lasso. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
Hey, guess what got stuck on the lift yesterday?? Yep, the Silver Bullet and firefighters had to rescue the riders once again (I've decided to always ride in the back now.....I'm a wimp). This makes 5 times in the last nine years people have had to be rescued off the ride:

1. August 2008
2. August 2014
3. June 2016
4. May 2017
5. June 2017

Jay

To be fair though you can make a similar list for many rides at all kinds of parks. A lot of us enthusiasts have multiple stories about getting stuck on rides. I got stuck on Valravn at Cedar Point last year, and it is a brand new tens-of-millions-of-dollars ride. Most of the time they simply have to restart the ride.

If I'm understanding correctly, they didn't have to do much this time - it was a simple computer reboot.

I absolutely agree that this is becoming a PR nightmare though. While lots of rides get stuck, few require such intense evacuations when they really do get stuck. Mostly all they need to fix this is a catwalk extension like BGW did, then it won't be so dramatic. I'm pretty sure that it will still require firemen presence though when people have to climb down the cat walk... Eventually they will start getting upset about repeat calls.

But if the media is freaking out this much over a 15 minute stoppage and computer system reboot... then surely the PTB are feeling pressure to come up with a replacement plan. Certainly not this year, or probably even the next, but in three to five or so I can see it. I could see them selling it to a carnival or swapping it with another one of their properties. With a little finagling they could fit the Gauntlet into that space... 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
I'm not sure it was just a reboot though. The clips I saw only had two cars past the catwalk...with firemen on the ride again, but it could have been stock footage.

The simple solution would be to extend the catwalk....and with two rescues this year, there might be more pressure to make that happen. However Oklahomans like adventure so they might start using it as a marketing tool!

Jay

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
A simpler fix:  change the name of the ride from the Silver Bullet to Russian Roulette.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
The news media has been worse this time around than any when it legitimately got stuck and people had to be rescued. They keep running story after story, facebook polls, etc. They also keep using the old stock footage with the firetrucks pulled up and everything - all covering up that this was a simple computer reboot.

Kemotblue

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »
I frequent this park a lot this season.  Fantastic park for it's size Tremendous stuff to do in this small park This season the shows are so good they are being nominated for awards. Especially Shake Rattle and Roll.  This season The 3rd TJS Showbiz Shannigans plays into the 5:15 gun show.  Pretty Clever the way it's done.
      Now back to Silver Bullet my opinion is I think the park should do what Magic Mountain did to Revolution.  They should refurbish this coaster the whole works new computer, Control board, system upgrades.  Also cosmetic upgrades like new paint, new coaster trains, Station updates. A total Refurbishment.  It's a Schwarzkopf and a really good Schwarzkopf the coaster is a prototype and 1 of three still running in the World. Coaster enthusiast travel from all over the World to ride this coaster.  A German coaster club was in the park earlier this month filming.  They came mainly for this coaster.  No this coaster doesn't need to go anywhere it's A great classic that need to be around for many more years.  Frontier City I have a suspicion that they will be adding a coaster next season. Rumor around the park is this coaster will be located in the Nightmare Mine building..For me I take that rumor with a grain of salt.  They added Steel Lasso for the 50th anniversary You know they are going to add something major for the parks 60th.