Author Topic: Frontier City Developments  (Read 175041 times)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier City Developments
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »
In case anyone didn't see the facebook posting today, the new ride is a set of flyers. Not a bad addition, especially since we weren't expecting anything. This is in addition to yet another round of maintenance and re-hab throughout the park. It's enough to convince me to get out there again sometime this year to check it out.

One marquee, re-rideable attraction and this park will be solid. I wish they would tear out the wildcat and replace it with a GCII.

So agree with the GCI comment considering the work they are doing with smaller parks like Fun Spot in Orlando and the planned coaster at Panama City Beach.

I would love to see GCII work on the Wildcat to actually make it a fun coaster, it used to have a nice return trip with tunnels and double ups and downs......but was neutered horribly sometime in late 90's. Make this into a fun "family" ride.

Then I too would love to see a new GCII coaster (like American Thunder) be built where the go carts, maintenance, and sand volley ball pits are located.

Jay

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
Here's a story regarding Chance rides, but most of the video of the rides are from rides located in Frontier City. This is a pretty cool story and video of the Company.

http://www.thisbuiltamerica.com/kansas#22

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Frontier City just announced that the old Terrible Twister ride, a classic rotor that has been SBNO for years, has reopened under the name 'The Tumbleweed'. Another awesome step in the right direction for the park, that's like 2 new rides for this year. Up until now I was thinking they were just going to keep the rotor around until they were able to put a new ride in that spot. Unfortunately, that's one less good location for a new major ride, but this is a classic so I'm happy anyway.

Also: I noticed the new flyers are adorned with weird parrot images. They look a little cheap and out of place, IMO, but since this seems to have been a last-minute deal to purchase this ride and get it in the park, it'll work for now. Hopefully they come back in and update those graphics soon. Wouldn't cost much, and would make their newest ride look a whole lot better.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:50 PM »
Frontier City just announced that the old Terrible Twister ride, a classic rotor that has been SBNO for years, has reopened under the name 'The Tumbleweed'. Another awesome step in the right direction for the park, that's like 2 new rides for this year. Up until now I was thinking they were just going to keep the rotor around until they were able to put a new ride in that spot. Unfortunately, that's one less good location for a new major ride, but this is a classic so I'm happy anyway.

Also: I noticed the new flyers are adorned with weird parrot images. They look a little cheap and out of place, IMO, but since this seems to have been a last-minute deal to purchase this ride and get it in the park, it'll work for now. Hopefully they come back in and update those graphics soon. Wouldn't cost much, and would make their newest ride look a whole lot better.

My Mom will be in town next Fri. Seriously considering a day trip next Fri to OKC if the weather is good. Spending about 4 hrs at Frontier City is a serious possibility especially with the water play structure, then hitting the Memorial and a place to eat at Bricktown. It will be my kids first trip to Frontier City if it gets pulled, the Family Invert is right up their alley.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
CNL will finally be liquidating all of their properties over the next year. It looks like Premier will almost surely end up with Frontier City, which will be tremendous for the place. They've done such a good job with it, and the park has come so far in the last few years. All they need to really revitalize the place is to get some serious capital for a new ride. Unfortunately that won't be happening while CNL still owns it, and who knows if Premier would want to spend big again to quickly after buying the place out.

Hopefully they get something new for 2015, but it doesn't look likely at the moment. Maybe they can pick up another flat on the cheap.

Hollwood

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »
Let's not forget about the other CNL properties... Magic Springs/Crystal Falls, Elitch Gatdens, and Darien Lake... Could be a big move for HFE...

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
CNL will finally be liquidating all of their properties over the next year. It looks like Premier will almost surely end up with Frontier City, which will be tremendous for the place. They've done such a good job with it, and the park has come so far in the last few years. All they need to really revitalize the place is to get some serious capital for a new ride. Unfortunately that won't be happening while CNL still owns it, and who knows if Premier would want to spend big again to quickly after buying the place out.

Hopefully they get something new for 2015, but it doesn't look likely at the moment. Maybe they can pick up another flat on the cheap.

CNL saved these parks. For the most part, they have improved them from when they got them especjally the two Herschend managed. Not sure what happened with Elitch there though. I'm holding out hope  Magic Springs ends up in good hands. I really wish Dan Koch would snap it up. Hot Springs has such great potential but whoever owns it really needs to think about a Great Wolf Lodge like addition to benefit from the racing season as well. You'd be surprized at the amount of families that hit Hot Springs and Oaklawn on the weekends in Feb, March and April.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Frontier City's facebook page has a link to a guest survey that includes a portion where they gauge the general wants of new attractions. A little late for them to be deciding attractions for the 2015 season, but it's something.

I'm kind of thinking they'll go back to Larson soon. Larson is a choice company for small parks wanting fairly large new attractions for cheap. The ring of fire rides are getting popular again with all the SF purchases, but they are also known for their drop towers.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
If Frontier City would just put Wildcat back to the layout it had when it opened, that would be a major plus for the park. The third hill it had a double up and the return trip had tunnels and double down heading into the "splash" effect. I can't remember the year, but the ride had developed quite a bit of wash boarding so they re-tracked the ride and removed the double up, as well as flattened out the return run.....and changed the double down into a brake run.

I haven't been to the park since before installation of Steel Lasso....so things might have improved quite a bit since that time. I almost made a trip this year based on the improvements I had seen posted by the park, but my kids would rather make the 3.5 hour drive to SDC instead.

Maybe next year we'll make it to the park, but to make it a no brainer for me I'd really like to see them someday construct a new GCI, or even a GG junior coaster, or if they can afford one of those new Chance Hyper GT-X coasters that would even be better.

But before a new coaster, I bet they spend money on a new concert venue, drop ride, or expansion to Wild Water Works.

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
If Frontier City would just put Wildcat back to the layout it had when it opened, that would be a major plus for the park. The third hill it had a double up and the return trip had tunnels and double down heading into the "splash" effect. I can't remember the year, but the ride had developed quite a bit of wash boarding so they re-tracked the ride and removed the double up, as well as flattened out the return run.....and changed the double down into a brake run.

I haven't been to the park since before installation of Steel Lasso....so things might have improved quite a bit since that time. I almost made a trip this year based on the improvements I had seen posted by the park, but my kids would rather make the 3.5 hour drive to SDC instead.

Maybe next year we'll make it to the park, but to make it a no brainer for me I'd really like to see them someday construct a new GCI, or even a GG junior coaster, or if they can afford one of those new Chance Hyper GT-X coasters that would even be better.

But before a new coaster, I bet they spend money on a new concert venue, drop ride, or expansion to Wild Water Works.

Jay

Frontier's sister park is Magic Springs and it's summer concert series is a big draw  with a mix of Christian Contemporary, R&B, 80's and 90s rock nostalgia acts,  teenie pop, and country.

Isn't the water park in OKC a Premiere holding and they just manage Frontier for CNL Lifestyles. Doesn't a further increase in the waterpark type of thing take away from the waterpark. Robbing Peter to pay Paul?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:09:03 PM by chittlins »

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
Isn't the water park in OKC a Premiere holding and they just manage Frontier for CNL Lifestyles. Doesn't a further increase in the waterpark type of thing take away from the waterpark. Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

It is owned and or run by the same people here in OKC. They sell the double park season pass just like SDC/White Water. A few years ago I went to Frontier City, and they were selling a season pass (to FC only) for the price of a single days admission.

I guess I am just spoiled because the theming at SDC is so much better than what FC has. I always felt they could do so much more with it.

The water park is "White Water Bay" which was owned by HFEC for a while after it first opened up.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
Screamscape reports a rumor that someone buying passes was told that a new ride is indeed on the way. A Larson Superloop is the obvious go-to assumption, but at this point I hope not. Seems like half the parks in America suddenly decided to buy one this season, and they aren't all that particularly great. They're not the worst thing though, and any new ride will be a welcome addition for FC.

Elitch is apparently getting rid of their top spin though, I wonder if that could make a move to FC. They are a maintenance nightmare, but they're also really high-profile rides that look like a lot of fun. I've actually never been able to ride one because each time I've been near one it's been shut down.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
The Mindbender (Inverter) is being removed.  Makes sense that a Super Loop should go in its place
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:29 PM »
Ah, that's too bad. I knew the Mindbender was going to be replaced soon, and one ride on it was enough for me, but those Chance Inverters seemed like such cool rides. If they could only get a comfier restraint... The one at Alton Towers was a lot of fun, back when I was smaller and fit in the restraints better.

I really think my only real beef with Super Loops right now is that at this point they're just so unoriginal. I don't think we've ever seen so many parks pick up the same ride in the same year, especially a ride that's mostly known for being a cheap carnival staple. Larson must be onto something with their marketing.

Hollwood

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 06:14:25 AM »
Cheap, simple, eye catching, small footprint. That is all you need to sell your new ride in bulk. This is exactly why Vekoma has sold 50 boomerangs and this is exactly why a Larson sooner loop will become the next ride that is in every other park.