Author Topic: Herschend Family Entertainment  (Read 4482 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Herschend Family Entertainment
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »
Can someone tell me exactly being a Herschend Brand means?  The HFE website (http://www.hfecorp.com/default.aspx) give a lot of information about the history of the company, including some history of Marvel Cave Park (aka SDC) and even some pictures.  Then it talks about the brands of the company - Talking Rocks Cavern, Ride-the-Ducks, etc.  Being a brand seems to mean that they own, "partner", or operate a business.

Anyone want to discuss any of the other attractions?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Herschend Family Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
It just means that the Herschend's own it.They own Ride the Ducks and all that.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
Yeah, but it also seems to mean they are partners in the ownership.  For example, the site mentions the Dollywood Corporation and the Dollywood Company.  Is this another corporation owned by HFE, or does Dolly have more to do with it?  Not that it really matters, but Dolly seems to claim ownership of the places with her name on them, but it she the owner or just the spokeperson or the figurehead?

A lot of people were really worried when Kenny Rogers came onto the SDC scene a few years ago.  They were worried that SDC would become something more like Dollywood (but I guess the name Kennywood was already taken), and that the Branson Belle would become a gambling vessel.  Though I've been to a couple of Kenny Rogers concerts myself, the partnership seemed a little forced.  I was just wondering if a partnership with Dolly Parton, for example, means that both parties own shares in the company. 

Anyway, I have ridden the Ducks (history tour), and thought it was well worth the price, and I have toured Talking Rocks, which I believe to be one of the most beautiful caves.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
When they use the term “Brands” think of it as Coca Cola having Mr. Pibb, Diet Coke, Mellow Yellow... Talking Rocks, HFE owns the cave, but leases it to Bruce Herschend who runs the property. The SDC campground was managed by Pete Herschend’s daughter and son in law for a while.

Dollywood is owned by HFE and they have the largest amount of interest in the park. HFE had Silver Dollar City, TN and had heard another company was offering Dolly a park deal. HFE knew they wouldn’t be able to compete, so they moved in and gave Dolly a proposal that worked. They set up a division of HFE that would manage Dollywood separately. This is where it gets tricky. A man, can’t remember his name, came to Dolly with a dinner attraction idea. Dolly liked it and offered partnership with the Herschends, they said no thanks and then they changed their mind at the last minute and said yes. Unfortunately they were not able to pass the idea through the HFE board and get approval, so Jack and Pete took the money out of their own pockets to fund the project. The Dixie Stampede is owned by the Herschends, but not HFE. They may have fixed this I haven’t heard anything about it in a while.

When it comes to Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta, they do not own it, the lease it from the state for a set amount.

Check out the Wikipedia site. I worked a little on it, so it is accurate
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschend_Family_Entertainment_Corporation

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:02 PM »
Wow!  This is all good information.  I haven't been to the Wiki yet, but will soon.  I had thought they sold the park to Dolly, but to hear that they still own it is quite interesting.  'Glad you could straighten it out.

I was surprised to hear when they bought the two aquariums.  To me, that would be a scary business to get into if you had no experience with the critters.  I suppose you're only as good as the people with whom you surround yourself, though.  As long as they employ people who know what they're doing at the aquariums and Wild Adventures, they should be fine.

None of these, however, have the infinite charm of Silver Dollar City.  The challenges of maintaining its singular theme are what keeps it fresh.  I know of no other attraction that does this (maybe SeaWorld, but that's a whole other ball game), and I pray they never lose sight of that theme.  Six Flags used to have a great theme, although in the form of six areas of the parks based on the countries represented by the flags.  Frontier City should be that way with an Oklahoma theme, but it never has been, instead choosing to cater to the teen and preteen crowd (both for employees and visitors).  Only with a major makeover could it ever be equal to SDC.  Opryland used to be a cool one.  Their whole music theme was unique in the business.  I'll get off the soap box now.

Anyway, thanks for the information, Copper!!!

More memories about Talking Rocks to come in another post.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
OK, so here's another question:  why doesn't Dolly ever make an appearance at Silver Dollar City?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 01:38:21 AM »
I do believe Talking Rocks is one of the best caves in the area - maybe the best.  I remember when I was a kid, and one of our family vacations was to hit all the show caves we could in the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks.  One was TR.  I never heard any of the rocks actually talk and that confused me.

TR is over 90% still "living".  It is very wet compared with caves like Marvel and Fantastic, and the formations are many and dense.  It is, of course, smaller than Marvel, but it's worth the trip if anyone gets the chance to visit it.

From the website, there are other caves on the property and people can pay extra to take more wild tours in those.  I wish the website would be updated (as it has some obsolete information) to show actual photos or the tours and things.  Maybe they could get creating and make a video of it like they have for Marvel.  They could sell both videos at both locations.