Author Topic: Birdle's Cabin  (Read 5801 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Birdle's Cabin
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
In the last few years I'm sure you have seen Birdle's Cabin at SDC. It is a "static" display, with not much going on there. That's the way the McHaffie Homestead used to be, just a building on display. I was glad to see in recent years the McHaffie house, the church, and the school house have been actively used. It seems to me people enjoy the buildings more when they get actual use. So how does everyone feel about Birdle's Cabin? Do  you enjoy going through it on your trips to SDC? Seems strange someone lived in that primitive style until only a few  years ago. I'm glad they have preserved the cabin. What are your thoughts?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Birdle's Cabin
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
I was unaware that a project for the 2010 season was to close off the majority of Birdle's Homestead. I was upset by this. I always enter the cabin (except when it is closed off totally by the chain/rope) BUT in the spring of 10' upon entering I found there to be a fence/gate in place that only allows a visitor to enter about 4 ft. into the cabin.
If you want more information on the cabin, and its former inhabitants:
http://library.missouristate.edu/archives/speccoll/m008.htm
We talked a bit about the cabin in the 09/10 Project thread. Here are 2 of my photos showing the new interior.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
can you say "please don't touch?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Rube. The McHaffie Homestead and the school house in it's old location (where the furniture factory is today) were both closed off with a barrier in the old days. They set the buildings up like Birdle's is now, and then put up the barrier to keep people from damaging things. I was glad to see how they freshened up McHaffie & school house, and make them "working" buildings for educational and entertainment purposes. I walked through Birdle's when it was still placed on the asphalt in front of McHaffie's, and before the logs were chinked. I could tell people walking through the display had yanked and pulled on things, sat on the furniture, and so on. It does not suprise me the barrier is up in there now, and it is too bad they have to have one up. However, it is a "museum" building in a theme park, where folks sometimes get a bit rowdy, so I understand it. If the barriers would not have been up in the other buildings in years past, I'd hate to see what kind of condition they would have been left in.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
BLEH! I don't like those fences. I wish they'd used something that blended in more.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
For reference, and yes, for entertainment... here is the original school house from the old location that you are speaking of.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
Some of the old "static" buildings at SDC were set up for whatever use they were designed for, and dummys in 1880s costume were placed in the structures. I think the school house had a "schoolmarm" in place. I know a barber shop, and a few other old locations did. When I worked on park, the schoolhouse was closed off except for spring and fall crafts festival times, when the building was used to store craft items, and sometimes used as a display area for wreaths and flower arrangements made by visiting and resident craftsmen.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
 ;D ;D

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
I was disappointed at finding this closed off the last time I was there as well, but as I recall there were no "Citizens" around and you could walk into the house freely and pick things up.  I bet some stuff walked away.

I took a few photos on a journey there in 2009

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=25814102%40N00&q=birdle&m=text
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
Unfortunately i am sure that is true.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »
Thanks for the photos, BetaMike.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
My pleasure
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!