Author Topic: Any Rumored FM or FITH Improvements?  (Read 30219 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any Rumored FM or FITH Improvements?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 07:10:28 AM »

I would love to see the burning bridge come back.

When was it removed?

Not removed, just not fully functioning.

Originally, FITH took a route that let you see the wooden bridge on fire. It was a good psychological trick: there was nothing else to see except the burning bridge (already collapsed, with the rails dangling), and no audio except the crackling fire. Then you shunted off into the dark, and the next thing you saw was the burning bridge, straight ahead. There were blasts of hot air, red lights and flickering flames, and just as you approached sudden death....

Well, I wouldn't want to give it all away now, would I?

It was an extra drama element that made FITH even more special. I'd love to see it return.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
that would be another great "repair"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Isn't that Kinney Bridge? The first time I took my family, in 2001, I remember riding FITH and thought it was the same as the last time I was there, when my dad took me in the last 70's early 80's. I remembered the train coming at you and the bridge on fire, I guess I didn't realize the bridge trick had changed. You still see the bridge effect to some extent don't you? Funny, we go 5-6 times a year, and I always ride that even if it's the only ride I take, but can't seem to picture that part of it now.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 07:25:25 PM »
The bridge fix is a major one, which I heard they will have to completely remove all former pieces of the collapse mechanism and come up with a new way to get it to collapse.  This may not sound difficult to us, but I guess it is an ordeal.  There are other elements of the ride they have talked about fixing such as the Baldknobber with a rifle across from the tavern and the Baldknobber with the stick of dynamite under the burning bridge.  There are several other things they have discussed too, like a better explosion effect at the end when you hit Catfish Carson’s dynamite storage shack and some old school dark ride effects.  I hope they eventually get it done!

Not trying to be rude (KBCraig), but the mangled tracks that you are talking about weren’t connected to the burning bridge.  After you collapsed through the bridge you would make a right hand turn and go through the Baldknobber Cave then through a dark tunnel and eventually arriving at the edge of a cliff.  The train followed S curved tracks and gave you the illusion of a near fall, but you would then travel to the train tunnel area and go down the second drop.  You were however, able to see the mangled track area when you passed the burning cabin.

Here are some photos that should help you create this in your mind
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53826242@N00/5378968619/in/set-72157603961693997/

If I have confused you please ask questions, I know what I am saying, but that doesn't mean I am saying it in an way you can understand.  Sorry if I have confused you!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »
Those 'behind the scenes' photo's of Fire in the Hole are awesome!
Even if SDC took its yearly project/addition and dedicated it to revamping Fire in the Hole to its former glory with all the original tracks in working order, that would be just fine with me!
Thanks for all the info and pictures.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
yes, if they could/would just fix/repair the little things..  we could have all new expierences..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
It's my understanding they cut the track down to increase volume...more people can ride in same amount of time. If that's so, would restoring the bridge keep volume at present level, or slow things down?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
The bridge is still there.  Riders still experience the bridge.  It's just the falling effect that is missing.  So the track is just as long.  This is not the section of track that was diverted so many years ago. 

With the bridge being such a major part of the ride, why oh why is there even a question about repairing it immediately.  Look, I recognize this may not be a minor repair, but neither is it a million-dollar repair.  My opinion is that nothing new can be added if current assets can't be maintained at a level of quality that guests expect.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
 ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
I mean that in the most practical way - just like I wouldn't build a new room onto my own house until I fix the plumbing in my existing structure.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
Well after riding it i dont think they did anything to it this off season the "fire in the hole" voice wasnt even working.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
#1fan, when i rode the first weekend, i also did not hear the "fith"..  I thought mybe i just missed it?  and with 25 minute line i did not ride it twice. :'(

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
The voice was working opening day...   I wonder what happened? ???
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
how about this weekend,  who went? did the FITH voice work?  come on out there!!  speak up!    Inquiring minds want to know??

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
I woudl like for them to turn up the soundtrack outside.
What they are saying in dialog has always interested me.