Author Topic: Any Rumored FM or FITH Improvements?  (Read 30227 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Any Rumored FM or FITH Improvements?
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
I have seen the news here of the new additions and building for the new season, but has anyone heard even the slightest rumor or confirmation of upgrades or sprucing up of FM or FITH?? I would think that even the least traveled tourist could see that FM needs new convicts and FITH needs a tweak here or there. When I was there a couple of years ago, I could tell that time has taken a toll on some of it.
  Swoosh or Rube or (forgive me for forgetting the SDCFan who works there) could maybe "eak" out some info or talk to someone and see if there is anything happening. Not major upgrades, just a little make up job.
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Any Rumored FM or FITH Improvements?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
Just to add what I forgot....maybe someone needs to actually tell the "higher ups" at SDC what is obvious. That hardcore fans and even frequent tourists can see how time is catching up to these rides.
Andymeets1880s

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
You do know that FITH got a major upgrade including moving characters around and new costumes to make a more consistant storyline this past off season, right?
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

Yea but Swoosh lets face it they could still improve upon what they have....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
Last I heard was that they were hoping that enough money could be freed up to allow the bridge effect to be fixed.  Personally I feel that they do a good job with the limited funds that are available each year to do improvements.

FM also received a refurb not that long ago
SWOOSH

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »
No, Swoosh, I didnt. I was last there in 2008 and before that 1980. So there is a slight gap in my consistency. But FM did look a little worn. In this day and age, with all of the technology we have, there should be some upgrades that dont break the bank. I know SDC isnt exactly Disney, but I figured some things could be spiffed and more realistic.
Andymeets1880s

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
Personally, I think what they've done with both of these rides in the last couple of years is great and I wouldn't want them to do much more than they have. Both rides are classics, and each has received a fair amount of TLC that has fixed up and improved upon their original forms and functions. If they attempted to seriously "upgrade" either ride, they'd be stabbing at a major part of what sets SDC out from among the rest. FM and FITH are some of the last remaining pieces of a time when SDC and Co. built a lot of their own attractions from scratch and did a mighty fine job of it. Sure, they could bring in Sally to re-imagine them and rebuild the rides for a new generation, but it wouldn't be the same, and I'd feel that a major piece of the park's special vibe would be lost.

I'd rather see them build a new dark ride altogether, though I doubt they'll spring for that anytime soon.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
If either were lost, to many, it would be like losing the Blacksmith shop, or the funnel cakes. It would cause a serious shake in the fanbase of SDC. I would like to think that they know this, and that these are a part of what made the park what it is, as well as a part in what keeps people returning. Would DWor DL take out Pirates of the Carribean...NO, they did however put in all new animatronics, and make parts of it a bit more PC over the years...But I doubt they would ever add targets to it, that would be sacrelige for the die hard fans-much as many reacted to the Flooded Mine when SDC added guns!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Sure SDC doesn't have A-100 animatronics in FITH, but I liked what they DID do to refurb last year, and I'm all for saving up money to get the bridge collapse back!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
Both rides were classics, but they did put the guns in, so there is evidence that they are willing to change a classic.  The Diving Bell is now no more than an urban legend, albeit a true one, that lives on in our memories as the most creative of all of SDC's attractions, and then they traded it out for a substandard innertube river ride that pales to most others in the industry.  I understand the attraction to the oldies, and I would be shocked to find FitH was upgraded to animatronics or changed to another theme, but I would have absolutely no problem with a similar upgrade to FM.  It would bring life (pun intended) to an attraction that rarely has the appeal to attract a line of people, and would thus decrease the long lines at some of the more popular rides.  But no, they cannot remove either of these without drastically changing the mood of the park.  Each ride is a classic, and each presents a romanticized view of an otherwise dark subject.

Meanwhile, Disney has used dark rides to their advantage and has proven that lighter subject, darker subjects, and everything in between can be presented in a "dark" ride.  Some can even be changed with the season or every few years to keep a return appeal.  Dark rides are my favorites, and I long for the day that SDC turns to some new and unique dark ride subjects.  I would love a ride based on the mind of Twain, and I've pitched some others in other threads.

That said, they have made some improvements on FitH and FM in the past couple of years that have immensely improved the appeal of these rides, and they absolutely must fix features on each so they work correctly.  At no time should a feature be down for an extended period, and the collapsing bridge is crucial to a major drop.  I can't even believe this type of a thing doesn't fall into their yearly repair budget.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
I would have absolutely no problem with a similar upgrade to FM.  It would bring life (pun intended) to an attraction that rarely has the appeal to attract a line of people.

Apparently you have never seen the queue after the train gets back into the station.
Everyone gets off the train and goes immediately to the FM.  The line will back up all the way to the first cell scene just over the initial bridge.  Granted it might not have the lines that PK and WF have, but it is a pretty constant through out the day - you also have to remember it is a "people eater"
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:19 AM »
Last I heard was that they were hoping that enough money could be freed up to allow the bridge effect to be fixed.

I would love to see the burning bridge come back.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:29 PM »
As far as the FM is concerned, I'd like to see the "rock slide" come back.  They also need to update the audio in the entire ride so you have hear the song the entire ride.

FITH needs the bridge effect.  I like the "am radio effect" as far as the audio goes, but again, I'd like to hear more of it......"run boys run, don't be slow, baldknobbers comin' there's fire in the hole"!!!!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »

I would love to see the burning bridge come back.

When was it removed?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
Not removed, just not fully functioning.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating