Author Topic: Viewmaster reels  (Read 34928 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Viewmaster reels
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
Welcome, all. I've been lurking for quite some time now and finally took the plunge. This is my favorite part of the forums, I really enjoy the park history and photos. Here's my question: I recently bought a 3 reel set of viewmaster slides off e-bay and love them. They're from around 1971 or so, and have some great pics past attractions at the park (Butterfield Stage, Float trip, etc.) It also came with a booklet and map of the park almost identical to the 1970 map Junior has on his Flickr page. I was wondering if anyone know how to convert these to a digital pic? I tried scanning the reels but they get way too blurry when the individual pics are blown up. I would love to share these they are some great pics, but need some technical help doing so. I was also wondering if there would be any copyright issues by uploading them to a forum such as this? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Viewmaster reels
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I don't think there will be copyright issues. You are not making any money off them, just sharing with others who have an interest. The technical stuff somebody else will have to answer. Would love to see what you got. Please post when able. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
The only reason I asked about the copyright issues was I found a place online that would scan the reels and put the digital pics on a cd for you and ship it all back. However, they clearly stated that they; "will not scan any copyright protected View-Master Reels. These will include any commercial reels, travel reels or cartoon reels. Don't send them to us because we will not scan them under any circumstances. They have to be personal, family View-Master reels". There are some great pics on there if I can just find a way to render them.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
Welcome thelarsonsix great to have another SDCFan around!

I have 2 sets of the viewmaster reels, one opened, one unopened (it was a gift-I wouldn't have bought two of the same thing, I am not that weird!) I have tried several methods to transfer them, and have found that it can be hit or miss sometimes with the digital slide converter I have. The slides include some photos of the park (I recently posted one of them on the Wayback Machine of the Float Trip). My favorite photo from it is this one...

It took me a whole afternoon to fit an apparatus onto the slide converter for this one! I don't know it the work was worth it, as you can still see a parallax on parts of the photo) but if you are interested, I can let you know how I did it, otherwise, just ask and I can post the photos on here for you to avoid the headache on your behalf!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:55:24 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
I somehow had a feeling you would already have these... ;) Yep, that's the same one's I have. I was just going to try to convert either one side or the other of the image but it is proving to be quite difficult to get it to scan without being way too dark. Between the 3 reels there's 21 great images on there from what I consider "the golden days" of SDC (even though these were made about the time I was born, I still love the early 70's late 60's era). I was hoping there would be an easy way to share them.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
i saw a set of 3 on ebay the other day, about 18.00 delivered..

as far as copyright is concernec as long as there is no disclaimer on the reels and the logo is not the Official insignia, (which it is not). There should be no concerns.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Until we figure out who, or when we are gonna put up the photos, here is the front and back cover in case you are wondering!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:31:46 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Now that's odd. That's the same cover but a different set of slides. I have that same one you posted earlier of the Butterfield Stage, but look at the index on my set. What's even stranger is that they have the same number- A457.

Here's the booklet that came with it that tells about each photo:

I guess I'm going to have to keep looking to try to find the set you have. I also have a set called "The Ozark Mountains" that has a shot of making sorghum from sugar cane at SDC. I believe this is the only SDC pic on there, the rest are nw Arkansas and SW and south central MO. That set looks even earlier, maybe mid 60s.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:01 PM »
my brother had 1 of these but sold it, it was cool to look at when he had it. brought back way back childhood memories.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
I was just looking at that set on ebay. That's the set Rube has. I also noticed that his set was dated 1976, whereas mine are 1971. They do have some pic's in common, but also some that are different. Apparently they had more than one release.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Well I'll be!I hadn't noticed that my scan was of the unopened pack, I have only looked through the 1971 pack...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:48:15 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
The '76 set on ebay has a BIN of $14.99 + a couple of bucks shipping. If it's still there tomorrow, I may pull the trigger.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »
15.00 for the viewmaster...wow. Hows about I scan mine and you just pay me???Just kidding! I guess I didn't realize I had that high demand of an item...Now to see if it sells!

I would have thought that the 71' version would go for higher. 76' DOES have the Wally Welch puppet show though!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:03:59 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Here is one I would pay $15.00 for! I had to pull the photo off of the internet since I have only seen one up for sale before, and it was more than $15.00!