Author Topic: Flooded Mine vs. FITH!  (Read 26416 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Flooded Mine vs. FITH!
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
Ok, folks...thought I would throw this out just for fun. Some time back, I started a thread that asked you to name the top ten things you would do and in what order if you could visit SDC one last and final time. There were some interesting entries.

So now it's time for a "smackdown", a one on one, a "classic" of the classics!

You can answer this one of two ways...

One is..you have to cut the ride budget at SDC and remove either Flooded Mine or FITH!! *Gasp*  Which one do you take out??

or....

Like the above mentioned thread, you can only ride ONE of the two for the last and final time! Which one do you ride??

This thread should bare some good sparring!  >:( :o :'( :-\
Andymeets1880s

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Flooded Mine vs. FITH!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Bye bye flooded mine. I love ya, but FITH is a classic. The guns have already cheapened the mine ride. It's no longer the classic that it once was

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
The guns have already cheapened the mine ride. It's no longer the classic that it once was

I respectfully disagree. I think the guns have added to the experience of the flooded mine, and made it more engaging. However, that's a topic for debate in another forum I suppose. :P

With that being said, I would pick Fire in the Hole without question! The Flooded Mine is a great ride, but that's about all that it is. Fire in the Hole on the other hand, was built on actual Ozark history! In a way, Fire in the Hole tells the story about how the citizens if the 1880's had to deal with the Baldknobbers' tirade through the city. The Flooded Mine is simply generic inmates singing about breaking out of jail. :)

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
I remember riding on the stagecoach in what had to be the summer of 1971.  We stopped in the road and the driver pointed off to the right and said "this is going to be our new attraction, Fire In The Hole".  As I remember it was just a bull dozed area with a lot of rocks and red clay dirt.  I think I remember that because of how popular the ride soon became and still is.  It was the first ride that I remember having to wait for such a long period of time to ride.  Also, it seems of all the rides and attractions at SDC it best connects the old SDC with the SDC of today.  With that being said I would have to pick FITH over the FM.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
I would ride the Flooded Mine. Not that I do not enjoy FITH, but I have more memories of the slow meandering dark ride-pre shootout, the candy mine etc, and the fun memories of my teenage years with the shootout. Though it does distract from the scenes/ storyline, I still think about battling it out with my Dad on the guns. It makes me smile just thinking about how many times he whooped me, and being a great Dad, thinking of the times I won and wondering if it really was me that won, or was it a Dad making his son feel like a success.

I think it was me that beat him!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:34:07 PM by rubedugans »

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:19:01 AM »
My two cents is this....  I would have to take out FM too. I am a firm believer in classic things and I am a very sentimental person. It would tear me up to do it because I have childhood memories of FM as well. But the guns kinda soured it for me too. But, I agree wholeheartedly with a quote from someone in another thread (forgive me, whoever you are if you read this) that the FM is a perfect place to go to ride something and rest the feet.

I do hope that FM and FITH get some much needed and deserved makeovers. Nothing big or not to change it. But to spruce it up, make it a touch more lifelike and put a little more effort into the whole presentation.

Hey! Maybe "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" can do the home of a Branson family and someone can nudge them into sprucing up FM!  :o :o ::) ::) :D :D   Can't you hear it now? "Goooooood Morning, Silver Dollar City!"
Andymeets1880s

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
Andy, your question is the same as asking a parent which child they would keep, and which child they would get rid of. It's just not a fair circumstance! :D

Make it an easier question like which would we keep, The Flooded Mine, or the leap frog ride in the Grand Exposition?  ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Since there is little to no footprint taken up by Flooded Mine and the fact that FITH is landlocked too due to a service road, you won't gain much by removing either so your question is null and voided.  ;D
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
I'd definitely ride FITH. I loved FM back when they had the projected faces and animatronics and the avalanche. I hate the guns.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »
I love them both but if I could ride only one it would be FITH.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
Wow, this is interesting! So far the score is five to one, with Fire in the Hole taking the lead. The irony is, if they were to combine the Flooded Mine into Fire in the Hole, they would finally have enough water to extinguish that blasted fire. :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:44:32 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
^^ Ozark's on the ball!  :D  But that idea is in a perfect world, isnt it?!  :D
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:10 AM »
FM is over 5 min vs FITH under 3 min....Just Saying!

With that Logic it HAS to be better right....Right?
Dang...I didn't think so

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
The Flooded Mine is the perfect place to slow down, and relax after a hard morning of riding Fire in the Hole over, and over. ;)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Hey! Maybe "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" can do the home of a Branson family and someone can nudge them into sprucing up FM!          Can't you hear it now? "Goooooood Morning, Silver Dollar City!"

I could hear it now..."Driver, Move That Wagon!!!!!"