Author Topic: SDC "Citizens" of the past...and present!  (Read 39448 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC "Citizens" of the past...and present!
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
I ran across a SDC brochure from 1983. The entire center fold of the piece is homage to some of the key SDC "citizens" that year...Shad Heller, June Ward, Donnie Ellison, and several others who were "celebrities" at the park during that time. I personally worked directly with Louisa Burns who made pies at Jack and Mary's Sandwich Shop, and with Ken Holt, stationmaster at the train. I was aquainted with and sometimes visited with Earl Smith, a candlemaker, Reba Flowers, the lye soap lady, Captain Goldsberry (whose son is none other than OLD GUY) and Jeannie Hevel, who was a saloon girl. Uncle Gene was known simply as Gene Bortner at the time, and was only in his second or third year of working at the city, at the time as a log cabin builder. Take a look at their photos and a short "bio" on them at my flicker site. You will need to click on the "enlarge" tag on flickr to get a big shot of the photo in order to read the names and "bios" under their pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: SDC "Citizens" of the past...and present!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
Incredible picture Junior! Many of those people I consider to be the "founding fathers" of the Silver Dollar City citizens. I love how all of the men folk had prominent beards. They truly were genuine Ozark residents! I especially got a chuckle from the goatee-beard Donnie Ellison had back then. Thanks for sharing! :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:05:46 AM by Ozark BBQ »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
thats a great peice of history!  THANKS!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:14:43 PM »
Good stuff, Thanks !
Live life like it's the last day!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Hey everyone, my mother has a question for you all regarding one of SDC's Citizens:
What ever happened to the gentleman who was the Sheriff AND the Minister at the Wilderness Church for many years?   
You have a great past just ahead of you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
My post from May 3, 2009
"We were able to see the second to last church service before Pastor Deeds(former SDC sheriff). It was a tear jerker, members of the homestead pickers were in attendance recording the whole thing for some purpose.

He said he would finally be retiring, but would be back from time to time.
(Here is one of my first attempts at being a photographer on my old Kodak 110 camera in about 1987/88!)"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:01:11 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
Great brochure Junior, I haven't seen that one before! In my photos from the 82' season there is one of Shad working at the desk in the Blacksmith shop, and then throughout the 80's the photos of him are only him outside the shop. We always would stop and talk, and get our photo taken with him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:15:12 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »
I am going to send this to Terry this afternoon!
1987/88

Detail

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
" YEE HAW!!!!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
Wow look at Terry! Or is it Homer Lee? Or is it Colonel Paisley Parnell? Or is it W.P. the Warden? Or is it Ada Mae? Or is it Doc Harris? Or is it Mr. M. Balmer? Or is it Rufus T. Goldnugget? Or is it ...Well, I digress! :D

Terry may not be a founding father of Silver Dollar City, but he certainly is a superstar citizen of Silver Dollar City! I visited with him a few times, but nothing too involved, and yet he still remembered my name. I was shocked! I am sure he will get a kick out of that picture Rube.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
Terry is a great guy, he gets my vote for the hardest working man in Branson. I have talked with him many times. Some he would remember, some probably not! Usually I am referred to as Matt the Painter after the painting I did of him.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:07:19 AM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
The photo of Terry as "Zeke Hatfield" includes a fellow named Elmer who played "Pa Hatfield" and Bonnie Arnold (I think, can't be 100 percent sure from the angle) as "Ma McCoy."  Elmer sometimes played the sheriff, too. Bonnie to most of you younger folks will be remembered as the schoolmarm, Miss Bonnie Jean. She retired a few years ago and is in a nursing home now due to bad health. I think Elmer has passed away. All three of these people have been outstanding entertainers at the park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Terry Wayne Sanders just confirmed via email for us..." That's Elmer Wallace as my 'Pa' in the blue vest & Bonnie Jean Borden as my 'Ma' with the blue bonnet. True 'Hatfield' colors!"

Thanks Terry!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
As far as Elmer Wallace goes...here he is as the sheriff. I remember this day, they kept pulling off my hat, with the convicts in there...I was afraid of that jail for a year or two afterwards!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:44:25 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 05:53:52 AM »
Thats a fun shot at the jail. I don't remember them dressing guys as convicts and putting them in the jail for photo ops, but it was a good idea. :)