Author Topic: 1969 film  (Read 6258 times)

truckman66

• View Profile
1969 film
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »
I came across some super 8mm film marked Silver Dollar City 1969  not long ago at a junk sale and bought it as soon as i seen it. Looked to every one I knew but no one had an 8mm projector so it got put on a shelf till my wife who puts up with my "SDC Problem" as she call it, had it transfer to DVD for a Christmas present. Long story short I ended up with about 22 minutes of old down town Branson, highway 76 go out to SDC, stopping at SOTH and then on to Indian Point RD. When it gets to SDC it show the trams and the entry gates then some of the employees including ole Shad himself. Quick list Butterfield Stage, Owen boat ride, shot tower, flooded mine, and a lot of the city as it was in 1969. Now to make everyone a little upset I have a friend doing some editing on it because it has some other stuff that doesn't go with SDC. As soon as he is done i will post it on youtube and send the link to everyone here so hopefully a day no more than two. Oh yeah the train ride and robbery is in it to. This is one of the best Christmas presents I think I have ever got. Trust me ya'll will love this.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 film
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
I already love it and I haven't even seen it yet! Now I know how people feel when I talk about the couple boxes of unsearched SDC photos that I have! I cannot wait-that would have been the best garage sale AND best Christmas AND best wife ever!

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
That sounds like such a great find.  To be able to view SDC in the 1960's is very special.  It's even more special when a new 8mm film pops up because there just can not be that many out there to begin with.  It's always great to see SDC through pictures in that era but when it comes by way of film it makes it even that much better.  Looking forward to seeing this and congratulations on such a find.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »
Your "find" is every SDC fans dream! ANYONE who has old film, video or photos is WELCOME to post them here. Any old brochures, maps, or other printed material is welcome, too. We are all fans of a special theme park built over a show cave in the Ozarks, and appreciate the effort our members go to in order to share these things. I'm looking forward to seeing the film. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »
Wow, this video gets me stoked hotter than the Frisco Silver Dollar Line train engine! It sounds like what you have there is truly a one of kind artifact! It is amazing how pictures, and videos really capture a moment in time, and we all become time travelers of sorts when viewing them. I can't wait!  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
While we're waiting...Speaking of super 8 films...I came across this one today that I had never seen before. It has a great shot of the early train, and former depot loading station, otherwise it does not show much except the back of the homestead circa 1960's (pre petting zoo) a sherrif, the feud on Main Street, and a somewhat disturbing occourance at 1:40!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epiWpV47Amk

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the link. With the exception of one short shot or two in another similar home movie, I don't think I ever saw the old, first train in running condtion. By the way, was the tall, red headed street character a guy known as Pete Herschend? It's hard to tell because of the distance of the camera from the subject, but it appears to be him! First time ever I've seen ole Pete in action in the old days, if that's him!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
I was thinking it was him, but the distance also caused me to doubt whether it was him or not. I liked seeing the back side of the Homestead (I don't remember seeing that in the other movies).

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
That is cool! My dad has a ol' 8mm footage of SDC & i remember 1 scene of my grandmother getting off the train & walking up them stairs! Funny what triggers a memorie.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
How Do, see if your dad will let you copy and post the old film here! We'd all love to see it!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
I've got the projector and the software for conversion, just no films to convert....I guess it is just wishful thinking for someday if I get lucky and find one of those gems!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »
Junior - My pa will be gone this Sat., but i am going over there to see what i can find SDC style. Heaven knows where all that stuff is, i need to get him in the mood to look sometime.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »
lol.  good luck with that.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »
Tell your pa you'll take him to SDC for a visit come March! Now, THAT'S motivation!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »
yes!  Bribe him!!  that might work.