Author Topic: Wildfire Taffy  (Read 27731 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Wildfire Taffy
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
Anybody ever had this? My 14-year old loves it.  I have to buy it for him because they won't sell it to minors.  It is incredibly hot!  Anybody know how many Scoville units are in it?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Wildfire Taffy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
Not to boast, but I am the one responsible for the naming of this taffy.  My first job at the City was in the taffy shop when it was located in the cabin near the Train Depot.  There is 4oz of cinnamon that may not seem like a lot but it is!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »
that's very very hot taffy. Had a piece when I was there in June. I think I turned several shades of purple eatinig that stuff.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »
I am a "try anything once" kinda guy when it comes to different, new, or exotic foods. this falls into the "different" category. I asked for it, and it was placed in another bag, as to not get confused with the other taffy. Darn near wore a hole in my tongue! I will not be trying it again. (I should have known there was an issue before hand when I knew I didn't even like "Big Red" cinnamon gum!

There are videos on youtube of various people trying the taffy...some are funny because that is the real feeling of eating this. You think..."Hmmm it cannot be that hot, it is candy.....then it gets stuck in your teeth, and you have to keep working at it whilst your mouth is on fire"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
then it gets stuck in your teeth, and you have to keep working at it whilst your mouth is on fire"
Yep, Wildfire is the Napalm of taffy!

There are two colors mixed into the taffy--red and black.  I'm assuming the red is the cinnamon.  What is the black--or is it a secret!?!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Here's a nice video on associated content of the pulling of Wildfire Taffy.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/622838/pulling_fresh_saltwater_taffy_at_silver.html?cat=16

I believe the black stripe is only to identify it as WILDFIRE.

I love in this video how he states that he cannot give a sample to a young'n, and that he can give it to the mother, and she in turn can give it to him, but he cannot give it to the kid! Funny, but truthful.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
That video is cool.  Of all the taffy's that they could have been making that day...it's cool to see that they got to watch Wildfire.  When we first discovered wildfire candy, my wife asked for a piece to give to my son, and the worker was very reluctant to do so.  So I went in and told them it would be alright, and they gave me a piece to give to him.  Every time we go into the taffy shop, I have to ask for a piece of wildfire for his "free sample".  Last time I bought him a small bag of it.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
Top Rejected Taffy Flavors at SDC:

10)  Flooded Mine Sludge
 9)  Diving Bell Brine
 8)  Shad Heller's Blacksmith Forge
 7)  Float Trip Slime
 6)  Powderkeg Dynamite
 5)  Gospelfest Hellfire
 4)  Animal Petting Farm Fodder
 3)  Furniture Factory Wood Chip
 2)  Tom Sawyer's Landing's We-picked-this-bubble gum-up-from-the-bottom of the ballroom
 1)  Saloon Girl Underarm Sweat
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
I LOVE the Wildfire Taffy...When I was at OTC over Thanksgiving I saw they had Banana Wildfire Taffy...It was better than the Strawberry...Still like the regular the best....Ate 10 pieces in a row without a drink...
Colorado SDC Fan

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
We tried a piece, WHEW!!!! :o
Live life like it's the last day!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »
Has anybody tried their Powderkeg variety?  I've only seen it there once, but didn't try it.  They say they only have it when someone pays for a special order of it.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Rejected flavor #11
-Lake Silver Flotsam (you might have just learned a new word that means floating debris!)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
Wildfire Taffy seems like perfect gag gift. Just make sure the person you give it to doesn’t usually hold a grudge, or likes to retaliate. ;)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
I almost tried the banana wildfire, but I didn't want to spend the rest of the day with a throbbing tounge unable to taste things!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
Banana Wildfire is an oddly nice pairing or two unlikely flavors - like an Atomic Fireball wrapped in a Laffy Taffy.

My teaching partner buys Wildfire and "rewards" the kids fourth graders in his class with it.  He challenges them to keep in in their mouths for a minute.  And the kids love the torture.

I believe the PK taffy was made with cayenne pepper.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating