Author Topic: Branson Belle Disabled!  (Read 9954 times)

pintrader

Branson Belle Disabled!
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:16:13 AM »
Branson Belle ran aground at around 6 p.m. last night during dinner cruise.  Looks like it stranded 642 people which 72 are workers.  They had to rescue 9 people for medical reasons which I presume were not injury related from the cruise.  Built 50 yard road to get down to the Belle and are building a ramp to get to first level for rescue.  As of 8:15 this morning passengers are still on the boat.  Looks like High winds caused the accident.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:18:40 AM by Pintrader »

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Belle Disabled!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
Wow, my brother just told me about this. Sounds like they's doing alot'a hard & fast paced work to get to them.
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
StL news reported the high winds in SW MO were to blame for the Belle to run aground at Poverty Point on Table Rock Lake. It stated that crew had to wait for winds to die down before a rescue could be attempted. A tug was used to pull the boat out , but it ran aground again. Water just has not been good venture for HFEC this season.

Unloading has begun, and busses are taking passangers back to the Belle lots, it should take a few hours.

I am curious as to how much damage the showboat sustained. From what I know this is the first time that the boat has run aground.

(Photo on News Leader website)
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20101212/BREAKING01/101212001/Branson-Belle-unloading-has-now-begun

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
This isn't the first time the Belle has been blown aground, rube.  It's happened on a couple of other occasions that I know of, and come very close at still other times.  The showboat has powerful maneuvering thrusters on it's sides that it uses in cases of high winds and also when docking.  Apparently there was a failure of some sort with those thrusters after it got underway, otherwise they would never have taken it out in those windy conditions.

Those passengers will have interesting stories to tell when they get back home.  They were well taken care of, being fed during the night and having a "lunch" for breakfast.  And no accident related injuries occurred either, although a few received medical care for pre-existing conditions.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
thank god, NO injuries...   Would be a pretty good story to tell later on.. I was on the belle last month, it was windy then, and u could really feel the motors running/vibrating...  AND i plan on a more trip after christmas. weather permitting. ;D

BransonInfo.org

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
I drove up there this morning, and it looked like everything was well under control.

I also took some close-up photos, which may be seen on my blog: Showboat Branson Belle Photos
I own a Branson info site.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
Free cruise and food + free Branson lodging for one night + free 2011 SDC Season Passes? WOW!!! :o

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
oh man!!   Rube,  where do we sign up for that cruise?  Must be a limited christmas promotion.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »
I've never heard of the boat running aground before. This came as a big shock to me. So happy to hear no one was injured and the boat not damaged. Good to see the employees and other agencies come together to get things taken care of as soon as possible.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »
Got a kick out of the article that said the reason for the grounding was a problem with the boat's "propulsion" system, Like it was the Starship Enterprize.   IT'S A PADDLE WHEEL, FOLKS!!!  LOL   :D
In His grip!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
If I recall correctly, the boat doesn't actually use the paddle wheel to move...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
actually the paddles are the MAIN drive and steering forces ;D ;D, but they do have auxilary thrusters on the side to help park at the dock. ;D   My understanding of the accident were the thruster failed as they were parking after the cruise and trhe wind kicked in..    ALSO has anybody heard if there was actually any damage to the boat..  Hull damage??

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »
The Showboat is back at the dock now, awaiting inspection by the Coast Guard.  No word on damage yet, or when it will be able to resume operation.

http://articles.ky3.com/2010-12-13/cruise-ship_25190053
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
thanks,  I had seen that update ;D....  Just wondering if anybody close by had early details ::)  Guess we will know in the next day or so :o :o...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification, Dune!