Author Topic: SDC Store that YOU open!  (Read 10307 times)

sparkles2179

• View Profile
Re: SDC Store that YOU open!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
I was glad to see some FITH merch in the HH!  I got my son a FITH t-shirt and mini basketball!  But there could be so much more,  as I mentioned in an earlier post.  We always scour Branson for firemen stuff and it's hard to find.  I would love to have a t-shirt that said Silver Dollar City Volunteer Fire Dept on it!  Just a thought but I could really see that there!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
Some thoughts from my family, not necessarily new stores but augmentations of current ones, too:

*Period clothing, probably its own store.  Everything from hats to shoes, underpinnings to overcoats.

*Period toys, to replace the WallyChina stuff across the board.  About half of the stuff curently in the Toy Store needs to go.

*Reintroduce the blackpowder guns to the Outfitters.  I had actually planned a purchase there, only to find out they had dropped the line.

*Augment the trian stuff at the Depot.  Here's one idea:  LGB makes a G scale loco that is durn near identical to a couple of the Silver Dollar Line engines.  Partner with LGB to package one with a couple revised, old-time passenger cars, throw in an engineer, conductor, and two Bolin figures, a power pack, and a circle of track, and these outfits WILL fly out the door, especially around OTC.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »
One more:  Period (mostly) music store.  The dulcimer store in the OM is a nice start.  Put it IN the city, add more instruments (mostly period), sheet music (keep the CDs, too), and maybe add a place where an aspiring musician can get quick-and-dirty lessons for a small fee, kinda like the Culinary School.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »
palallin,  those are some great ideas!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
I'll open the music store. Rows and rows of fiddles, mandolins, banjos and guitars. Like I died and went to heaven

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
Branching off the music store idea, I wish they sold simple, and rustic instruments that are easy to learn in an afternoon. Like blowing into one of those empty “moonshine” bottles, or tapping two spoons together, or running your hand across an old metal washing board, or even a wooden flute.

They could sale all sorts of 1880's noise makers for kids to rattle their parents ears in the car all the way home. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:41:25 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
Wow, I really really like all these ideas. Anything that adds a little more charm to that 1880's theme is a great idea in my book.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Okay, I am totally going to cheat, and suggest a Silver Dollar City online store. ;D

I would love that!! I like to keep stocked up on their candles, but sometimes its hard when I get busy and don't have a chance to make it to the City. Then I usually have to settle for one from Walmart. Still smells good, but doesn't have the same charm. I bet if there was an online store, that's where my entire paycheck would go.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:21:33 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
I would love to have a t-shirt that said Silver Dollar City Volunteer Fire Dept on it!  Just a thought but I could really see that there!

OOOO!!! I WANT ONE!!! FITH IS MY FAVORITE RIDE!!! 
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
Have a luthier on site making guitars and mandolins to buy.  If  you can have a knife smith making $1000+ knives, have a luthier do the same for a guitar.  I would pay that for a good quality instrument.  He could have a display store to keep the wood from the elements, and you could try them out on a back porch or even catch a small act using them there.  It would be great.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »
They definitely need a luthier. Other than Violet Hensley who visits in the Fall (and honestly I am really unsure of how much she still produces while at the park). I know when I visited in June, there was a guest carver/ luthier downstairs in the wood carver's shop working on a fiddle body.

And along this theme of a luthier, have the luthier use specifically Ozark woods, including some of the wood that is cleared for different purposes in the park.

I have played in Bluegrass Jams with luthier Jerry Rosa of Rolla MO who makes amazing mandolins. He would be a great guy to contact if you are on the market for a playable piece of art!
http://www.rosastringworks.com/

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
I love the inlay work on his guitars.  Very orginal.  I may direct a friend there.  I play my strat for gigs, so I don't really play acoustic.  However, if I ever  need a mandolin, I know where to go. 
Man an Ozark SDC wood Les Paul would be insane.  I should talk to Gibson and tell them to put that in the idea box.  Your choice a Tennessee Dollywood Lessie or an Ozark SDC Lessie.  Limited addition made on site guitars.  Now that's a seller! ;D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
Have a luthier on site making guitars and mandolins to buy.  If  you can have a knife smith making $1000+ knives, have a luthier do the same for a guitar.  I would pay that for a good quality instrument.

If you pay $1,000 for a "good quality instrument", it's going to be factory made. Three times that (or more) for a quality, truly handmade, guitar.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
And along this theme of a luthier, have the luthier use specifically Ozark woods, including some of the wood that is cleared for different purposes in the park.

Not a lot of spruce or fir in the area, if you're talking acoustic instruments. You can make guitars/mandolins/fiddles/etc. out of the local woods, but they won't be great sounding.