Author Topic: Branson NASCAR track  (Read 35085 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Branson NASCAR track
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »
Just as a reminder on the dog eat dog world of stock car tracks. Dover is closing up Nashville Superspeedway, they couldn't get a race there going forward without moving one of the two at Dover to there. They have closed up Gateway and Memphis previously.

Honestly, this could be rectified by making the NAtionwide, Busch or whatever it's called next at a seperate track at least half the time. I've hated the shift to have all three races at the same track in a weekend a majority of the time. I hate the Sprint guys racing in the Sat races. I hate 4 car teams. I can't really much stand it anymore.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
I've hated the shift to have all three races at the same track in a weekend a majority of the time. I hate the Sprint guys racing in the Sat races. I hate 4 car teams. I can't really much stand it anymore.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.  ;)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
 ;D ;D MAN!  OZARK!!!   your bad!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
i'm with you chittlins,, 4 car teams, all racing at the same track, and racing Nascar on Sat. sucks pond water....
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
UPDATE! Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports today plans to build a $150 million speedway in Branson have stalled. Russell Cook of Ridgedale, the developer, owns 810 acres 2 miles north of the Arkansas boarder where it would be built. HE HAS FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY.
It is Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which would allow him to reorganize so his business proposal could continue to be develop. He filed for bankruptcy one day before 550 acres of the land was to be auctioned on the Forsyth steps of the county courthouse. Two banks had claims on the property, but bankruptcy stopped that. Cook says he is hopeful things will continue. My personal opinion is this project is probably limping along, gasping for air,and will eventually die. What are your thoughts?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »
I remember when it was announced I told myself it will never happen.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
The article also said a Taney County Board of Adjustment set some kind of unfavorable decibel limit on noise coming from such a track. Sounds like locals are not too much in favor of this...the political hurdles in Taney County are many and are often hard to cross when some of the locals in power don't like someones idea.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Hmmmm??   maybe they should sell the land to disney.... ::) ::)

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
Well I think it is bogus myself.  I had a little "BAD BOY" hopped Trans Am a few years back. I took it to Gateway (in Madison IL. *STL*) several times. Also a coworker of mine was employed part time at Gateway then. Not to mention my family knows the Wallaces real well, and Ken Schrader's parents live a stones throw from me (so we know him a little too).  I have some insides about Gateways demise. (Which has now been bought and reopened BTW). Nashville had a few of the same problems. (No I am not reffering to the previous owner (Dover Motorsports Org).  I am reffering to NASCAR itself.  See NASCAR enterprises owns (at least in some part) most of the tracks that they race on.  Also NASCAR charges the track to conduct races. YES they charge the track just to hold an event. Then in return they pay the track back (IF) there is enough money left in the kitty after all other charges are settled.  Not to mention all the other requirements NASCAR has to hold an event. Ambulance, tow trucks, pace cars, misc. cars-trucks, parking facilities, highway systems, concessions, track staff, security, ETC.  Most tracks can not meet those standards. (Like Nashville/Gateway/Memphis). These tracks met standards for Trucks and Nationwide, but not Sprint Cup.  A professional track without a Sprint Cup, or F1 race, will not fare well. Just not enough money will be made.

As I said Gateway has reopened and is home to several DRAG events including an NHRA event.  They are not trying to schedule a NASCAR event anymore, therefore the oval track is about overtaken by weeds now.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Well, many hurdles to jump! Sounds like the moonshiner founders of NASCAR have found a much better way to make money! I could see where it would be hard for a track owner to keep things afloat. Anyway, no matter what the reason, I'll bet this is pretty much a dead issue for Branson. There have been many dreamers come to town with big plans and ideas, but few have the funding to make those dreams come true. I remember a couple of guys in the early '90's who wanted to build a skyscraper project with hotels/restaurants/theaters/shops inside. Never happened.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
junior, too bad about the skyscraper not working out....  now-a-days if there were a skyscraper they could, lets see, they could..... OH I KNOW!!!  they could run a Zipline off of it!!  LOL.......

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »
Well I think it is bogus myself.  I had a little "BAD BOY" hopped Trans Am a few years back. I took it to Gateway (in Madison IL. *STL*) several times. Also a coworker of mine was employed part time at Gateway then. Not to mention my family knows the Wallaces real well, and Ken Schrader's parents live a stones throw from me (so we know him a little too).  I have some insides about Gateways demise. (Which has now been bought and reopened BTW). Nashville had a few of the same problems. (No I am not reffering to the previous owner (Dover Motorsports Org).  I am reffering to NASCAR itself.  See NASCAR enterprises owns (at least in some part) most of the tracks that they race on.  Also NASCAR charges the track to conduct races. YES they charge the track just to hold an event. Then in return they pay the track back (IF) there is enough money left in the kitty after all other charges are settled.  Not to mention all the other requirements NASCAR has to hold an event. Ambulance, tow trucks, pace cars, misc. cars-trucks, parking facilities, highway systems, concessions, track staff, security, ETC.  Most tracks can not meet those standards. (Like Nashville/Gateway/Memphis). These tracks met standards for Trucks and Nationwide, but not Sprint Cup.  A professional track without a Sprint Cup, or F1 race, will not fare well. Just not enough money will be made.

As I said Gateway has reopened and is home to several DRAG events including an NHRA event.  They are not trying to schedule a NASCAR event anymore, therefore the oval track is about overtaken by weeds now.

Memphis was and still is a fantastic 3/4 mile oval. Drivers loved it. It's still there but without a Nationwide event. Someone finally bought it out of bankruptcy. I hate that the Nationwide has become a warmup race for Sprintcup. I feel like they should have stayed on the shorter tracks that the Winston Cuppers have forsaken.

Memphis had a good plan, I disagreed on the location.

They still have a great drag strip, a decent road course and the dirt track met it's maker a long time ago. Riverside in West Memphis is dirt track holy ground.