Author Topic: Branson NASCAR track  (Read 35275 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Branson NASCAR track
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
Sorry to ask, but are you speaking of the track...or the discussion?

yes
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
Wow, very interesting article!

It seems like the debate is heated on both sides of the fence. I agree that the developer Russell Cook likes to dream big, but seems to fall short on what he promises.

I always thought of Branson as a family destination, and although loud engines, and flying debris, and mustard stained shirts are a great way to spend an afternoon, I don’t think it will work for Branson. Just my opinion only.

I think race tracks fair better in home cities rather than tourist destinations. Most people will not want to travel a long way for a race unless there is a special event.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
Most people will not want to travel a long way for a race unless there is a special event.

You've never heard of NASCAR then have you?  Daytona thrives on this very notion.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
There is a HUGE deference between Daytona (some argue the racing capital of the world), and Branson Missouri. ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Not really.  They're both touristy areas and your argument was "traveling a long way for a race" -- Daytona is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in Florida.
SWOOSH

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
I'm not in to NASCAR and would not enjoy the noise. If I had a vote, I would vote against it.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
Not really.  They're both touristy areas and your argument was "traveling a long way for a race" -- Daytona is pretty much in the middle of nowhere in Florida.

Folks here in the shop have traveled to Talledega or Texas on numerous occassions. One finally went to Kansas this year.

righty1985

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
As someone who is not a racing fan but has family members who are, I can attest to the fact that people will travel long distances for a Nascar race.

However, they will only do so for Sprint Cup races and typically for storied tracks.

A Branson race track obviously can't compete on the latter grounds initially and all available evidence suggests that the best it could attain is a Nationwide series race. Even that seems highly unlikely.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
I have no doubt in my mind that people will travel from far away to see a NASCAR race at one of the big hot spots.

I do have my doubts however, that people are going to travel all the way to Branson, Missouri for a typical race. As I mentioned before, if there was a special event going on then I am sure it would pull in some numbers. However, this whole race track concept is a huge flop for the area in my opinion.

Let's not confuse a preexisting NASCAR super speedway racetracks with what is being proposed for Branson, Missouri.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
Personally, the only track I want to see in Branson has go-carts.  ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
Let's not confuse a preexisting NASCAR super speedway racetracks with what is being proposed for Branson, Missouri.

They all had to start somewhere.  Kansas Speedway just got its 2nd Sprint Cup race this year and how long has it been open?  No one is confusing anything.
SWOOSH

righty1985

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
The Kansas Speedway has been open since 2001. It also has a seating capacity of 82,000 (versus 65,000 proposed for BSEC), a 1.5 mile track (versus 3/4 mile), a substantially larger investment, and a significantly larger population base within its immediate radius.

The best comparison in terms of size and track-type is the Gateway International Raceway. Even though it also had relative advantages in terms of surrounding population and investment dollars, the best it was able to attract in 40 years of operation was a Nationwide race and it closed last year.

My opinion is that the negatives of the track could be tolerated if it would deliver significant economic results but all the available evidence suggests it could not attract the races needed for viability and there is significant reason to doubt whether it would even be built as proposed considering the developer's track record (the Tanstone scar off of Forsyth Road serving as visual evidence).

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Article in the ADG today said that Arkansas will require that 3/4 of residents in a 3 mile radius approve it before a track can go forward with the expection of the county that Pine Bluff lies in. Also some talk of Hot Springs. I doubt it flies.

Again a 3/4 miler is a dead in in my opinion. I've heard talk of Tunica dreaming of a superspeedway.

I hate the fact that the Nationwide has become so attached to the hip to the Sprint.

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
I am not really feeling this idea. Branson doesn't need loud race cars...

This would make Branson even more packed. It's already super busy, they don't need more traffic...
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |