Author Topic: Old 8MM Silent SDC Souvenir Films  (Read 6537 times)

westofeight

• View Profile
Old 8MM Silent SDC Souvenir Films
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has run across these films, there may be more of them. I only know of these 2 I know of. Recently I was going through old photos etc and found a box of old silent 8MM home movie films, so I had them converted to digital format. What made me happy to see 2 films of SDC that my parents had bought me in the mid-70's cause I loved the park so much, I watched them over and over. One film is just the park showing various scenes. The other is based on the crafts festival. I thought it would be cool to share them for others to enjoy so here are the links to youtube.

SDC 8MM Silent Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVheb3BRw8

SDC Crafts Festival 8MM Silent Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC7jmxvh3VI

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Old 8MM Silent SDC Souvenir Films
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
those are great!  liked the details and how they taped most of the park.  amazing what was there then and still there.  THANKS!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
those are cool!! thanks for sharin'! ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
I have laid my grubby little hands on that very same hard candy crank in the Crafts video!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
Very many thanks for these movies! I have many photos from the time/ festival, but this was the first film from this time period I have seen in some time! Awesome !!!

Oh and yet again jealous of you Betamike, now even more for getting to make the ribbon candy! Was the machine made on site? he only ones that I have seen were antiques and mostly metal and $300+. I have to settle for folding/ crimping them "rustic" by hand!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
Excellent!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Good to see these two videos. Thanks for posting.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Fury Fire Chief

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • You've got a great past ahead of you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:36:12 AM »
It was neat to see Fire in the hole look so "old" NEW on the outside.  It also shows a splash down of the ride that looks like Blazing Fury with the red trains. Still AWESOME!

westofeight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
Glad your enjoying these. It was sure cool to see these when I got all these film reels back in the mail yesterday after they had been digitized. I found another one last night I went ahead and edited this morning, this one is a real home movie, my folks shot, complete with bad focus, bad lighting and scenes running so quick you hardly get to see anything so... I slowed the film down by 50% to make it easier to watch, but it still has the bad focus, lighting etc ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLF3TZzbqm8

Watching these old film reels sure makes you appreciate the technology we have now since I made this one from my phone this summer, even edited it on the phone and uploaded it without it even being on my computer. How times change, but not 'always' for the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T6E0wxqACY

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »
Silver Dollar City is still thriving, but these films capture an era when Silver Dollar City had a very youthful energetic quality to it which is something you don’t find as much today. The city seemed so alive, rather than just being stuck on cruise control.

Great videos all around! I enjoyed the home movies just because there is more of a candidness to the video. Thanks for sharing! ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
Nicely done yet again! I am going to digitize our old films after I pick them up this thanksgiving. All of these span from 1980-1990, so a few years afer yours, buthopefully I have some shots that are as good as yours

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
Very many thanks for these movies! I have many photos from the time/ festival, but this was the first film from this time period I have seen in some time! Awesome !!!

Oh and yet again jealous of you Betamike, now even more for getting to make the ribbon candy! Was the machine made on site? he only ones that I have seen were antiques and mostly metal and $300+. I have to settle for folding/ crimping them "rustic" by hand!

There were a few older instruments that we used in the candy basement, but mostly the production has been modernized.  I have seen a few other items there that I asked June "what is that?!?"...not knowing what they were used for and the crank was one of them.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
I know we are in the modern era but what if they put in a area where they brought back some of the early 60's ride like the mule swing.For us old times it would be great and it might be interesting to some to the young people.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »
I was a muledriver at the mule swing in '79-'81! That was when the swing was located at the RR underpass at the entry to what was the Deepwoods (Now the Riverfront.) It was a pleasant, slow paced family ride, and I enjoyed it. Well...I did not enjoy chasing the mule down each morning in a little pasture in the woods across from the old Robber's Shack! The guy who ran the mule barn liked to nag and bitch at us college kids who worked there in the summer and did not know too much about handling mules, too! He was the only guy on park I actually hated! I still remember the line I used when people got on the ride, "howdy folks, I'm Ben Turning, and I've been turning the mule swing all day long!" Always got a laugh!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"