Author Topic: Young Christian's Weekend  (Read 6796 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Young Christian's Weekend
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Hey, does anyone know if SDC is doing Young Christian's Weekend this year? My family would like to go. It doesn't say anything about it on SDC's website though. If any one of you can get me information that would be good.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Young Christian's Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »
I'm sure they're doing it again, it's usually the most crowded weekend of the season. Wildfire usually has to use it's overflow and the upstairs loop around the gift shop.

Notices should start popping up for it soon.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Here is the link to "Young Christians." Saturday March 29th is closed to the public, but open for Young Christians.

http://http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/group-travel/ycw.aspx

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Copper. Does it cost extra to make reservations and what if there were only four of us going? Would we be able to get in if we bought a season pass, because that's the way I understood it.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »
I believe that your season pass will get you in and I don’t see why only four can’t go. You do however need to call and reserve the rally time that you want.

800-417-7770

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »
Is it too late to make reservations? We haven't done that yet and I don't even know if we're going or not. What if we didn't get the reservations made? Would we not be able to get into a show or something?

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »
I went during Young Christian's Weekend a couple of years ago, and it was horrible. The crowds were out of control, the line-cutting was rampant and the people were amazingly rude. We had my daughter (who was one-year-old at the time) in a stroller, and the kids would literally shove the stroller out of the way if you were in front of them. It was completely chaotic, and I will never go back during that week. I was glad to see that the park is showing to be closed that day on the web site. That is the only bad trip to the park I have ever had in 30 years of going.

(And just in the interest of full disclosure, I am a Christian, and it saddens me that the worst weekend of the year is the one where the Christians are out and about.)

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.  I am a youth minister and parents will often ask me why I don't take the youth to SDC for Young Christian Weekend and I tell them about my experience the last time I went.  I am not interested at all in putting my youth in an environment where they may be influenced to act inappropriately or be constantly pestered by people who act inappropriately.  Sociatal norms are ignored during Young Christians weekend.  I would think that socialogist needs to be there to do a study on what would happen if teenagers ruled the planet.  Talk about 'ultimate selfishness'.   
I will gladly take my kids during the Christmas season instead when true Christian values (and Capitalism) are examplified.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:23 PM »
Wow. All that really surprises me. You'd think it'd be a great weekend to go with all the concerts and bands they are going to have there. I don't know, maybe we'll try it and see how it goes. I can't imagine it'd be that bad.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
Get some pictures, if you feel like it. I've heard that Wildfire's queue gets to the point that they have to use the entire building and the overflow, which I have personally never seen before. I haven't a clue what they'll do for PK, on a normal day the queue goes out the building, for this event they may have to wrap it around the park.

It'd definitely be an interesting weekend to go, just to see how the park reacts to 20,000 over-hyped little brats.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
20,000?!?  :o But I'm only a teen also, but I wouldn't cut little kids or any crap like that. I can't imagine Wildfire's overflow queue being used. I've never seen the park very busy actually except during Christmas.

Well I took a bunch of pictures on my SDC trip during September and I couldn't get them on the site but I'll try to get some pictures this time if we even go.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:13:52 PM by Coaster »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
I've been to SDC at Christmas on a 20,000-person day, but at least not every one of those 20,000 was a teenager... I don't even want to begin to think what this weekend event is like....

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
I remember last year we got the TGS open in time for Young Christians Weekend and the kids destroyed a lot of the themeing elements and did graffiti on the walls of the queue.  I know so people in R&D as well as PR that were not very pleased with the destruction that the "YCs" did to the brand new ride. 
SWOOSH

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »
It really bothers me that it is that way. I think a lot of the kids are from smaller towns in the region, and the thought of getting out of town for a day or two without any real parental supervision is just more than a lot of the youth are ready to handle. The problem is compounded by the seminars that are constantly going on for the youth leaders. It is a great idea in theory, for Christian Youth to get together and have a good time in a safe environment while their leaders get training on how to be more effective, but it ends up being Lord of the Flies, and the park has to call in extra uniformed security officers to do what parents do on a normal weekend.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
^None of this sounds very encouraging for me. And some kids aren't that bad. It's just the select few that are total idiots. I could never dream of destructing SDC's property by putting grafitti all over something.

And we would be going on Sunday not Saturday. Saturday seems like it would be the busier day becuase of the way they have it advertised (meaning they show the park as closed). Would Sunday be any better?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:41:27 PM by Coaster »