Author Topic: Mishaps  (Read 15571 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Mishaps
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
When the landing was first opened, the upper corner( closest to the restroom on the other side of the tracks), was a great cable slide. Everyone who worked there tried it out, schoolkids were brought in to test things, pictures were shot, it was a big hit. Then on  opening day, within one hour one child broke his arm on it.  :( It was then scaled down to a rather dull short run, and removed not long after.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Deputy Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
I worked in the parking lot at SDC when the fatality on FITH occurred.  It was a sad time at the park.  What made it even more painful was that SDC management were practically fanatics about safety.  Safety was continually preached and practiced. 

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
I seem to remember a report of rattlesnakes in FITH and someone getting bitten in the late 70's early 80's. Or rather, I remember my parents saying something about it. That may not be true though...

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
I seem to remember a report of rattlesnakes in FITH and someone getting bitten in the late 70's early 80's. Or rather, I remember my parents saying something about it. That may not be true though...

My older sisters always used to tell me stories like that about FitH. I've always wondered if they were true, or just my sisters trying to torment seven year old me.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »

My older sisters always used to tell me stories like that about FitH. I've always wondered if they were true, or just my sisters trying to torment seven year old me.

Those are common urban myths about dark rides everywhere.  There probably are occasional snakes, but the stories always tell of them dropping into a boat or ride vehicle.  Snakes are only clinging to the ceiling of a ride waiting to prey on unsuspecting human tourists.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
Those are common urban myths about dark rides everywhere.  There probably are occasional snakes, but the stories always tell of them dropping into a boat or ride vehicle.  Snakes are only clinging to the ceiling of a ride waiting to prey on unsuspecting human tourists.
I'd be more concerned about the snakes in the cave...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Perhaps around the entry and exit to pick off a bat or two, but I wouldn't think there would be any farther in.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
Perhaps around the entry and exit to pick off a bat or two, but I wouldn't think there would be any farther in.

Seen plenty of bats in the cave over the years, no snakes, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »

The hubs says you are probably right.  There wouldn't be enough food in the cave for snakes, and it's cold. They hibernate in groups to retain heat.  Caves aren't going to be too interesting to them. ;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »
Snakes can't survive down in the cave for very long. I have seen a couple on the tower though.

BKtoys

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
At the gunshop, mid 70 s an employee, caint recall his name, shot a rifle through his hand, the ramrod with it, and the ramrod stuck in the roof of the leanto. About 1975 or so.