Author Topic: SDC's 2012 Project  (Read 112856 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
SDC's 2012 Project
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »
Well, now that we know what at least one of the new attractions will be for the 2011 season, it is almost time to start a new thread for SDC’s 2012 Project! ;D

We all know the area around the old Waterboggan Tower will be used for something major, and will probably debut in 2012. I have never thought about it until it was brought up just now, but this would also be the perfect opportunity to repaint, or retheme Geyser Gulch. I think that entire section of the park does need a new "spark" to it.

I must say I really enjoy the special effects in the newer rides such as Powder Keg, and River Blast. I hope Silver Dollar City continues with this route. Speaking of that, I wish they would go ahead, and fill dirt into the old concrete channels used from Buzzsaw Falls so that they aren't such an eye soar while returning to the station on Powder Keg.  :o
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:42:52 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Cujo

• View Profile
SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
Since SDC is showing a commitment to families with their recent ride choices of River Blast and Half Dollar Holler.  Closing Geyser Gulch in Fall 2011 (for a major new attraction) will not cause young families to stay away.  First of all, in the region there are not many places to go . Adventureland, SDC, Worlds of Fun, and St.L Six Flags.  Where you going to go ??? ( if you can't afford Disney) and are on a branson budget.  SDC best theme park in Missouri.  However, SDC has to do something big soon. Because their competion is doing more.  Adventureland- new water park addition   W of F --prowler and 2011 Planet Snoopy also W of F best Halloween Haunt in midwest.   
SDC must go big in 2012 or 2013.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »
Unless you're going mainly for the rides, it is hard to compare SDC to those other parks. Dollywood would be about the closest thing. Worlds of fun and six flags do nothing with christmas, bluegrass music, crafts etc. Comparing SDC to another park is like comparing apples and oranges, for the most part.
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
Alright, since we're going to be talking about the 2012 project anyway, I guess I might as well go ahead and create the 2012 topic so we can keep the discussions somewhat separate.

First of all, in the region there are not many places to go . Adventureland, SDC, Worlds of Fun, and St.L Six Flags.  Where you going to go Huh

Nowhere. Most people simply don't feel the need to go to theme parks unless they're drawn in for some reason. There are other places and ways to spend the money.

A lot of people with children have mentioned how hard it is becoming to justify a trips to SDC because there is so little for their kids to do compared to how much it costs to get into the park these days. With the context of the park changing so much, there has to be a variety of things for young families to do, not just a single playground and a couple of kid's rides in GE. I think this addition will give them pretty firm footing in terms of fulfilling those needs for now, but backsliding by taking out GG would cause a pretty big uproar, IMO.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement that whatever is added in 2012 is going into the WB area. With the low capital on this year's project, and the trends in expansions lately, I think it's fair to say that a new coaster is a prime possibility. Before we rush to any conclusions on it being a G-fighter though, I think it's important to question how much MM paid off for DW. It's a great ride, but was it worth the cost? Would a woodie fit the park better?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
I think a woodie would be nice to see. I could be wrong, but I feel they are becoming extinct, and I hate to see that.

And thank you for opening up a 2012 new ride forum........my addiction can be fulfilled now!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
While woodys are okay in their own right, they take up too much volume with too little payoff in my opinion. What I would like to see is an inverted style rollercoaster with the track overhead. Oh how much fun it would be to fly through the air with your feet dangling just feet away from the treetops! :D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »
that would be great! No woodies dont have razzle dazzle of the steel, but I feel that the woodie has a better look in the woods.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
I think a woodie would be nice to see. I could be wrong, but I feel they are becoming extinct, and I hate to see that.

O RLY?

The last two coasters to be built in this state were wooden coasters
Coasters built in the area in the last 10 years - red highlighted ones are in Missouri

WOODEN COASTERS
2009 - PROWLER (Worlds of Fun)
2008 - EVEL KNIEVEL (Six Flags St. Louis)
2006 - KENTUCKY RUMBLER (Beech Bend - KY)
2006 – the VOYAGE (Holiday World)
2004 - THUNDERHEAD (Dollywood)
2003 - OZARK WILDCAT (Celebration City)
2000 - the BOSS (Six Flags St. Louis)
2000 – the LEGEND (Holiday World)

STEEL COASTERS
2008 – STEEL LASSO (Frontier City)
2007 - TONY HAWK'S BIG SPIN (Six Flags St. Louis)
2006 - GRAND EXPOSITION COASTER (Silver Dollar City)
2006 – PATRIOT (Worlds of Fun)
2006 – X COASTER (Magic Springs)
2005 - POWDERKEG (Silver Dollar City)
2004 – GAUNTLET (Magic Springs)
2004 – SPINNING DRAGONS (Worlds of Fun)
2001 - WILDFIRE (Silver Dollar City)
2000 – BOOMERANG (Worlds of Fun)
2000 – TWIST ‘N’ SHOUT (Magic Springs)
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
i realize the thrill of the ride is what is important to most of us here on the site.

BUT IMO a big woodie would be a great compliment to the park. especially if done at the same time of a reworking of GG..   

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »
I agree that a wooden rollercoaster would be a welcome addition. I brought a very brave person to Six Flags who rode all the other rides except Screaming Eagle. It is the most thrilling ride in the park (ride in the back car...trust me) The Boss is another great example. It doesn't have to go upside down to be cool :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:36:11 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
So all of the recent talk about the Greedy Brothers, and their three, or four different attractions that they once had on Lake Silver got me to thinking. Silver Dollar City needs to add another attraction to the lake! Currently, the only thing of interest near the lake is The Lost River of the Ozarks, and Geyser Gulch. However, neither of those attractions really use the lake extensively.

Silver Dollar City needs to put in some type of ride, or attraction that brings the lake back to life again. As mentioned before, they could even put the station of the ride between the backside of The Lost River of the Ozarks, and the restrooms next to Geyser Gulch. Plus, all of the additional foot traffic would really increase the popularity of Geyser Gulch. :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:24:30 AM by Ozark BBQ »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
i think u r on the right track now ozark..... ::)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
I am absolutely on the right track sanddunerider. Granted, we are probably not going to see anything new on the lake by the 2012 Season. However, it only makes sense to eventually build an attraction that significantly utilizes the lake. This is especially true since the geography of the land causes real estate, and green space to be hard to come by at Silver Dollar City.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
What if they did something like Worlds of Fun used to have and build a stationary paddlewheel/steamboat on the banks of the lake and have it as a restaurant?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
How did you read my mind Joy? 

I think I nice Seafood restaurant would be great on a stationary paddle wheeler with a ragtime band and all!  When I was a kid I rebuilt (in my mind and on paper)Tom Sawyer's Landing on the other side of Lake Silver and it included a boat that was snagged in the water- the boat was a seafood restaurant with a live show.  This would introduce both a new musical group (Hearken to the days of the River Rats) and a new restaurant.