Author Topic: SDC's 2012 Project  (Read 113045 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 04:17:12 PM »
I always thought it was funny you could have a riverfront area somewhere where there was no river. They changed the name of "the Deepwoods" to "the Riverfront" in 1982 as the Deepwoods were becoming a bit too developed since their 1977 debut. The deepwoods were being replaced by buildings and attractions as that area of the park expanded in the 1980's. Copper, I like the idea of a seafood restaurant with the Dixieland music. It would fit in that area.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
What if they did something like Worlds of Fun used to have and build a stationary paddlewheel/steamboat on the banks of the lake and have it as a restaurant?

Random trivia time.  Ths showboat that was at Worlds of Fun was the actual Cotton Blossom from the musical SHOWBOAT by MGM
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »
Swoosh, you are an amazing, deep bucket of information! Cool tidbit, never knew that one.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
Very good Swoosh! I can back him up on that, i walked thru that boat many times as a kid. It used to be just to the left when the main entrance to WoF was located in that area.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
now thats a loooog time ago.. :o

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
...and once again completely random.  There were originally 3 ships at WOF

The Cotton Blossom from the MGM movie "SHOWBOAT" (river boat)
The Victrix from the MGM movie "All The Brothers Were Valient" (masted boat / pirate ship)
The USS Henrietta modeled off the ship from the movie "Around the World in 80 Days" (keel paddlewheeler)
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
 :o :o ??? ??? ::) ;D ;D

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »
Random trivia time.  Ths showboat that was at Worlds of Fun was the actual Cotton Blossom from the musical SHOWBOAT by MGM

Didn't they (WoF) just demolish the showboat?  I heard that somewhere, and I was sad.

I love that movie, by the way.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:27 AM »
I barely remember the pirate ship, didnt they have RC boats around it? And it was by the log ride? I cant recall the other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGGPTdTQfg  Check out this 1977 commercial for WoF, it shows the Cotton Blossom at 22 seconds of the video. I was 12!!  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:02:45 AM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »

Didn't they (WoF) just demolish the showboat?  I heard that somewhere, and I was sad.

I love that movie, by the way.

Towards the end of Hunt Midwest's control of the park, a lot of maintenance became... well let's just say it wasn't the best.  By the time Cedar Fair took over, the Cotton Blossom needed a lot (let's just same most of the ship) of wood replaced.  The cost of replacement did not warrant it mainly because it was just a retail shop.  It was taken out and RipCord replaced it in 1996.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »
swoosh, do you have all this info in a file to recall? or do you have magical websites to look up history on?       

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
Well, he is the person in charge of midwestinfoguide.com. To say he is a theme park trivia buff would be putting it mildly. :P

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
swoosh, do you have all this info in a file to recall? or do you have magical websites to look up history on?       

To say that I am a theme park trivia nerd would be an understatement, and especially when it deals with Worlds of Fun.
I think I've only met one person that knows more about the park than I do -- and to answer your question, it's all in my head, I don't have any of this written down anywhere, it's amazing how I can remember completely random (and to some useless) information with ease but cannot remember what I had for lunch later on in the evening.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
LOL, well no that you mention it.  I wanted to ask you

"" it's all in my head, I don't have any of this written down anywhere, it's amazing how I can remember completely random (and to some useless) information with ease but cannot remember what I had for lunch later on in the evening.""\

But did not want to risk offending anyone...  thats a lot of stuff, I also was unaware you were in charge of the quide....

Nice job!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
Back to 2012...Nothing's confirmed that it will debut in 2012, but the stakes/markers are back up in the WB area, and 3 employees mentioned a version of MM, with use of the old WB tower  ;)  My hope is the redesign to the land could make it an all indoor, for pleasure during rain & cold.  After all, with all the stops & scenery, it's just FITH with loops, sharp curves, etc...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park