Author Topic: Ads and Other Things  (Read 4598 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Ads and Other Things
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
Don't be alarmed if you begin seeing a couple of banner ads on the forum. I'm not selling out and spamming the place out, but I do need to look at ways to decrease the impact of running this site on my wallet. By adding one ad in the empty space at the top gray area of the forum and one in the empty space below, I should be able to at least pay off the hosting fees for the site.

These won't be obnoxious ads. I'll be using a network that allows handier screening of ad customers, so hopefully we'll get some Branson-area entities to advertise instead of the usual instant weight loss-type ads.

In other news, I haven't been able to work much on the site in the last few months. Work and engineering school just aren't leaving me enough time to do everything I want to do with the site, but I still plan to do everything I can to fix up the site as soon as possible. I'm always open to any suggestions that would help add to the site, so if you can think of anything you would do to improve the site, let me know!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Ads and Other Things
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
if you need help with anything let me know. I dont have funds, but I have smarts!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
I salute you for waiting this long before adding ads. I have no problem with seeing an ad or two if it means keeping the site/forum going!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »
Ditto!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up shavethewhales! It is so refreshing to find a website owner who simply comes forward, and explains this situation as it is rather than sneaking it in on everyone, and making up excuses. I really do appreciate all of the hard work that goes into running this place!

A few non obtrusive ads sound just fine to me if it means that it will lighten your load, and allow all of us to continue enjoying this great website.  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
As far as ads go...do what you have to do to keep down expenses and keep the site up! We all love to visit here. I visit (without anyone knowing) from work, as a guest, not a member...it allows me for a couple of minutes or so a few times a shift to "take a vacation" and escape the garbage going on around me!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
How bad are the hosting fees?   How about going to the forum and asking for donations..   I think if people love this site like I think they do I would think a smaqll donation per year to the cause would not hurt any of us.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
There is no problem with you actually making money on the site.  Go for it.  I have confidence that you will properly screen the ads for appropriate content.  Ideally, Branson businesses would be the best and benefit the most from ads on SDCFans.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating