Author Topic: The "health" of Branson area music shows  (Read 6450 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
The "health" of Branson area music shows
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
I read on another thread in the last few days that the economy is good in Branson and traffic was heavier this year...how is the current state of music shows in the area? My brother told me last year that some shows were playing to crowds of 30 people! Many shows went bust due to the weak economy last year, and that musicians and entertainers had a hard time finding outlets to work at? Any idea....
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: The "health" of Branson area music shows
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:19:55 PM »
I went to a lot of shows this summer and none of them were particularly crowded. I always go on Fri/Sat so of course none of them were empty either...but it does seem like there should be more people there.

A friend brought up a good point on another thread. Some people are coming to Branson instead of the Gulf of Mexico area, replacing guns with butter...I guess? Are The Baldknobber's a suitable replacement for enjoying the tranquility and culture offered by New Orleans?  If that isn't the case, these folks who were planning on swimming and other outdoorsy activities might be more focused on other activities, though IMO it is too cold for swimming unless you're staying at one of those places with indoor water rides.
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »
The show prices have doubled since the last time I went to them. Who can afford to go to a two hour show at $40 a person?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
seems to me show prices are high also.. although some of the theaters have 2,3 or 4 different shows and give discounts if you pay full price for the first one, then 10,00 on the next ones.. also a few of them have dinner/show. so that is a little better.  BUT if you look at 35-42,43.00per 2 hour show..... then SDC at 55 per day is CHEAP!  although i have found a few shows in the 28-30 range..... BUT still????  SDC all day!!

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
seems to me show prices are high also.. although some of the theaters have 2,3 or 4 different shows and give discounts if you pay full price for the first one, then 10,00 on the next ones.. also a few of them have dinner/show. so that is a little better.  BUT if you look at 35-42,43.00per 2 hour show..... then SDC at 55 per day is CHEAP!  although i have found a few shows in the 28-30 range..... BUT still????  SDC all day!!

Good point, but if you do spend the whole day, you're probably spending at least $20 per person on food and drink. I always go right after breakfast or lunch so I'm only buying one meal. Even then, I usually hold out for some Fuddruckers or Cantina Laredo for about the same prices i'd pay at SDC :)
Nate

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
nate.  true enough but i did not allow for food costs because u have to eat somewhere.. sdc or in branson..

And as we have already stated it is about the same cost at sdc or in town.

I also try to limit to 1 meal at sdc and then eat elsewhere, but this last sunday we had lunch and supper there, because we wanted to stay and see GAC 1 last time..

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
Some shows have recently closed (Rock and Roll is Here to Stay); the Branson Star Theater and its shows closed this summer.  Today it was announced that the 2010 Promenade of Stars parade in November has been canceled.  Last year it was televised on RFD-TV and several other stations around the country.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
 ???

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »
Yeah, but Branson Star was destined to fail from the getgo.  I won't go into details, but let's just say I predicted their failure in the Spring of '08 when they opened their doors.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
I believe the area shows in Branson are as healthy as a horse! Wait, does that mean they are, or are not healthy? I digress. :D

I have to shamefully admit that I did not see a single show during my last trip to Branson. For my family, it’s just too darn expensive to see more than one show a visit. We did make a stop by the Titanic Museum which was high on our list of things to do. Everything other activity we did (besides Silver Dollar City) was free!  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
My wife and I saw Presley's show in August. It was between $30 and $35 to get inside. From the old days when I lived in Branson, they have grandly remodeled the interior of the theater, and it is much smaller inside than it used to be. The show was great. Same high quality I remember from years ago. We also went to Eureka Springs back in June or early July and saw Pine Mountain Jamboree. That was a different story altogether. Very obvious that crowds were way down at Eureka this summer. The Pine Mountain Theater probably seats 500, but there were only about 150 in attendance that night. Plus, the theater itself was shabby and rundown. Obvious there is no money for remodeling. The show, OK, and it is comprised of a cast that has members that played in Branson, The Ozark Opry at Lake of the Ozarks, and going back several years, some cast members performed at Dogpatch. I wish the two theaters in Eureka were in a healthier financial state...I live only 45 minutes away, it would be an easy commute, and from what I saw at Pine Mountain, I could still perform as a comedian at one of those places, if there was an opening and the money was right. (Performing for ozark mountain vacationers is still a dream in the back of my mind, and probably, that's where it will stay! I so fondly remember my days at SDC as a performer.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
My mother brought up a good point about Branson shows. Why are there so few actual musicians in shows these days?

Sure there are some shows that have musicians, but so many other shows simply play pre-recorded music instead, whenever they can get away with it. I know it's a money thing...but let's step it up a bit, please. Anybody can listen to pre-recorded music. People come to Branson to hear live music from talented musicians.

Anybody else notice a decrease in live musicians in Branson shows in recent years?
Nate

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
I am one, so this joke is ok.

Q: What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?

A: Homeless

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
ya know, I dont go to the shows. I think they are a great option. I would like to go to the shows, but after SDC I just dont have  the money, and I dont have a sitter. Maybe I need to open a sitter service in branson that would watch x amount of kids for 2 1/2 hours while parents went and watched a show. I always wanted to see baldknobbers.......
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
Anybody else notice a decrease in live musicians in Branson shows in recent years?

That is one thing that has bugged me about Jim Stafford. His older shows used to have a live backup band, but more recently he has abandoned that completely. I still find him hilariously funny, but I do miss the authenticity of a live band.