Author Topic: SDC Museum?  (Read 6574 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC Museum?
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »
The 50th Anniversary year is about over at SDC. Too bad they didn't put in some kind of museum, showcasing the company history and development of SDC. They have company archives, they could do something like this if they wanted. Would you like to see some kind of small museum on park with artifacts and photos of SDC from 1960 to present? They could showcase crafts, former employee bios, show old props and costumes...What do you think?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Museum?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
YES! I have been wanting that all year! Remember my refrence to the tacky "castle"? I want a museum!!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
I like the idea of a museum too. But that's kinda what this forum is for the time being. Lotta awesome stuff here. You guys are great.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
you bet!  we have hit on this subject all summer..  display the old models of the rides.. yes uniforms maybe,,  how about Tinker the tree, we were just talking about him..  yes a museum would be great way to show the historic timeline of SDC,

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »
If they can have a Dolly Parton museum at Dollywood, they could certainly build a permanent SDC history museum at SDC.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I want a Silver Dollar City Museum as much as I want a Silver Dollar City online store! ;D

I think Silver Dollar City definitely dropped the ball this anniversary by not having at least an exhibit showcasing some of their historic park artifacts. However, it would still be a great addition to the Hospitality House, or the Ozark Market Place. Between Rube, and Junior's collections we already have half a museum's worth of stuff already! ;)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
absolutely! ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:13 AM »
As I said in other threads, I contacted SDC, and was asked for images of my items for a possibility of having some of them in a "museum" for the year. I agreed, and gave SDC access to all of my now 700+ items. I was told "The Herschends have saved many items in the archives" and that I should be directed to mysilverdollarcity.com, to upload stories, photos and other memories of Silver Dollar City’s 50 years. So pretty much They were saying man...you have a lot of crap there buddy! NO THANKS! :D

Hopefully by the beginning of next season, I will have some time to once again (I know I keep saying on this) work on my book which is a museum of sorts-my collection in book format. Not trying to tease anyone, really. I just need time and well $$$ Two things as an adult that are hard to come by!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
Amen, Rube! If time and money were NOT an issue, that diving bell booklet would have been done first class all the way around and distributed on a wide basis! I really felt that my project needed to be released on at least a limited basis during the anniversary year, and I'm glad the limited edition got out. (Keep yer fingers crossed, perhaps a general release is still possible) So, Rube, just keep on working away at what you've got, and add to it, and when it's ready, let me know! I want to be among those first in line to purchase a copy.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
what if yall did a serises that complimented each others individual work? How great would that be?? Rube I want a quiz to win your book!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
I always figured the Flooded Mine could be turned into a floating SDC museum (kind of a twist on The Walt Disney Story).  I know the humidity would be tough to deal with.  On second thought, no one would want to ride it, and those of us "others" would want to spend more time with the artifacts than just floating by.

Here's another idea - - - they gut FM and set up concept art and project pitches all over the place.  Then, riders get to shoot down their least favorites.  No more web-based surveys needed!  Data comes through in real time.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
Yeah that would have been a great idea to use where they had the castle set up which I thought was usually anyway. They could have set up old miniature models of the park and shown anything really that had to do with the park in the last 50 year that would have been great.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Like I mentioned early, Silver Dollar City really missed a great opportunity here. They could have set up a temporary exhibit in the Red Gold Heritage Hall, or in the Frisco Barn. They could still set up a permanent exhibit somewhere if they really wanted to, but I doubt it's on the drawing board anywhere. :-\

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »
Shame because you know set up would be minimal , I guess the big problem which is a  shame would be it would not be  money maker unless they figured out so some they could sell with

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
It would be just as much of a money maker as every other static attraction at Silver Dollar City. You still have to pay the admission price to get into the park to see it anyway.  :P

However, they could continue selling their 50th Anniversary merchandise nearby, and perhaps put out other historical merchandise that has been discussed around here before. If they really wanted to make a profit off of it, I am sure they could come up with sort of voluntary preservation donation program.