Author Topic: Newest Press Release  (Read 6731 times)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Newest Press Release
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »
I didn't see any threads about it.  If there are, please delete this one.

Silver Dollar City Tops Off 50th Anniversary With Brightest Celebration Yet
10/27/2010
  View the PDF

Silver Dollar City Tops Off 50th Anniversary With Brightest Celebration Yet
Expect Spectacular Lights for An Old Time Christmas, Nov. 6 - Dec. 30

Released: Branson, Mo. (10/10)

Silver Dollar City rings in the holiday season with a grand finale to the 50th Anniversary, presenting An Old Time Christmas Nov. 6 - Dec. 30. Following what has been a year-long look at the best of the past five decades, this Christmas spectacular culminates the 50th festivities as one of the most acclaimed holiday festivals in America.

"What a year!" said Peter Herschend, co-founder of Silver Dollar City. "We've laughed and cried and shared memories with thousands of people whose families have been coming to see us for 50 years. Now, with one last hurrah of the celebration, we present the brightest festival of all - and the one most steeped in family traditions," Herschend said.

An Old Time Christmas transforms the 1800s-style theme park into an evening wonderland, featuring the Christmas on Main Street light and sound show, 1,000 decorated Christmas trees, a Holiday Light Parade, the Broadway-style production A Dickens' Christmas Carol, festive holiday foods and over four million lights - plus rides! In temperatures down to 42 degrees, guests can soar into the night while viewing the awesome lights from above.

The 5-story Special Effects Christmas Tree is the park centerpiece, a towering visual icon that comes to life at dusk each evening. Another popular family tradition is A Dickens' Christmas Carol, an original musical adaptation produced by Silver Dollar City.

Fine craftsmanship is showcased as the park's 100 demonstrating craftsmen create one-of-a-kind handmade holiday items. The Culinary & Craft School celebrates with classes on Christmas specialties, while tastes of the season are in abundance throughout the 100-acre park, including a prime rib buffet and traditional favorites such as turkey with all the fixings.

An Old Time Christmas has been recognized as one of the nation's top holiday celebrations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel and Good Morning America.

An Old Time Christmas runs Thursdays through Sundays through December 19, plus Wednesday November 24 and December 22-23, closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and open daily December 26-30. Hours are 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. most days - check the website for exact schedules. Information: 800-831-4FUN(386) or visit www.silverdollarcity.com.

Well, they certainly didn't tell us anything about the new plans for next year!  >:(  Just a plug for Christmas Festival.  ::)  Very disapointed. :(

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Newest Press Release
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:22:53 AM »
Yes, they should have added that the grass is green and the sky is blue. It would have fit the "stuff we already know" theme quite well ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:31:38 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:10:35 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Now thats funny nate!!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:20 AM »
Well, I suppose I cannot blame them. They are after all a business trying to make money. I think they are trying to wet our appetite for more! Well darn it, it worked. :D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
Well, they certainly didn't tell us anything about the new plans for next year!  >:(  Just a plug for Christmas Festival.  ::)  Very disapointed. :(

Why would you be disappointed? The purpose of the press release was to publicize the Christmas event. They'll announce their plans for next year when they're ready to announce them.  ::)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
As excited as I am for more news, I think that it would be detrimental to sales to announces specifics before season passes have been on sale for a while.

Consider this:
It's fall of 2010 and I'm a Toyota exec. I know for a fact that the 2012 Corolla is going to have built in Bluetooth, iPod/Zune connections on the stereo, as well as built in GPS. What's more, I know these features are going to be standard. Now I know that not everybody is going to be interested in these things. Some people might be interested in the new colors that are available in 2011, or the slightly more fuel-efficient engine. The 2012 model is going to have all of the above.

I know that if I made the announcement now that all of the cool technology gadgets will be standard in 2012, but will cost $1000 more (or not be available) in the 2011 version...we might get some people holding out another year, or buying a different car! I also know that NOT announcing those features in the 2011 brochure will tell people that they are not there.

Toyota needs 2011 car sales, and the fact is that SDC needs the 2011 ticket/pass sales to fund that 2012 project and they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot. Since they obviously aren't doing anything big this year, I don't think we'll see any big announcement for 2011 or 2012 until the Early Bird pass sales are over. Now that's good marketing.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:40:46 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
Per Silver Dollar City's response to questions on their Facebook page about plans for next year, they are scheduled to release announcements next week.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »
Per Silver Dollar City's response to questions on their Facebook page about plans for next year, they are scheduled to release announcements next week.

From a fan/customer point of view, I hope so. And I hope it isn't just "Next year we will be opening on March 17th and have 16 days of MM in the summer." type stuff. I want to know what they have planned and I am buying a Season Pass no matter what. But I think from a sales point of view, they should be careful about the timing
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:58:00 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
There will definitely be some sort of an announcement whether big, or small. They didn't put that fence up by the train station for nothing.  ;)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
I really wish they would leave the area around the swinging bridge alone. However, if they can put in a small attraction there without tearing out too many trees, it would be OK. I'd love to see the balloon chase come back, or a small childrens area. It would be a good fit in that section of the park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
It doesn't announce anything special for the Christmas Festival in regards to the 50th Anniversary, either.  Sounds as though it's going to be the Christmas Festival as usual which I really, really enjoy but I was hoping for something EXTRA since it's the 50th anniversary.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
WELL!!?? :o  dont forget the free christmas ornament u get this year.. commerates the 50th anniversary and anybody that visited 5 time or more gets one..  thats special isnt it? ::)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »
WELL!!?? :o  dont forget the free christmas ornament u get this year.. commerates the 50th anniversary and anybody that visited 5 time or more gets one..  thats special isnt it? ::)

Now I know that is true if you visited during 5 different festivals, but is this also true of going to the park any five times throughout the year (i.e. 4 times during Kidsfest and the 5th visit during OTC)?

I went to OTC with an awesome gal last year, who had visited 5 times (but not five festivals) and they didn't give her an ornament. I went to all the different festivals that year, and when I saw the look on her face, I knew should give her my ornament. Besides, it meant more to her than me. I have one of those little 5 foot Christmas Trees, LOL.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:05:10 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
This year, in honor of the 50th anniversary, you get the ornament if you used your season pass at least five times.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
thanks tina for clearing that up.  i went to website but could not find it.. 5 times or 5 festivals?.
I think i actuall hit all the festivals this year. 1st time for me... ;D