Author Topic: Christmas Festival Recommendations  (Read 16431 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Christmas Festival Recommendations
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »
Okay, folks. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never been to SDC during the Christmas Festival. My wife and I are hoping to finally make it down this year and possibly bring our young one with us. I was hoping all you city veterans out there could share your must-do's and favorite things in general about the festival.

Obviously there zillions of lights, and the Christmas Carol production at Echo Hollow (any good, by the way?). Just wondering if any of you have any tips for getting the most out of a day at the park during the festival? Any favorite foods (and places to get them), etc.

Hard to believe we're little more than a week away from the festival opening.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Festival Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
Here are my favorites:

1) The giant Christmas tree with over 100,000 lights, synchronized with "Carol of the Bells", "Polar Express Suite" and other songs :)
2) The Christmas Parade
3) Dickens Christmas Carol - actually at the Opera House---love it!

As for foods, I prefer Hot Chocolate. But if you want something more "seasonal" that you can't get everywhere, I recommend you that you wassail on over to one of the hot drink stands near the tree :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:24:05 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
Top Ten Things to see/do at Old Time Christmas

1. The Train Ride (no train robbery on this trip, instead you get to have a beautiful/inspiring visit with grandpa).  No matter how long the lines are for the train ride....please don't miss this!
2. The Christmas Carol at the Opera House
3. The Living Nativity in Red Gold Heritage Hall.
4. The lighting of the Giant Christmas Tree
5. The Gifts of Christmas Parade (you need to see it at least once)
6. Hot Chocolate (get the works with whipped cream, chocolate chips, marshmallows and a candy cane--bring your refillable mug and its only $1.75)
7. Hot Apple Dumplings with ice cream.
8. See Terry S. as "Clarence Peabody" Santa's head elf (along with Santa Himself) at Kringles Crossing (in the Carousel Barn by RiverBlast)
9. Frosty the Snowman (yes its a children's show, but you need to see it at least once)
10. The lights reflecting off Lake Silver.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
Backintime, "say it aint so!".....I hope u make it! no matter the weather you will wonder why you have not been there before! Mkae sure you see as much on the lists these people are leaving..  ti is all great..  the one thing i miss from years past is "tinker" the talking tree.. anybody miss him?

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
My kids were greatly disappointed when they took out Tinker.  Their grandmother (my mother) wrote SDC and asked them to bring him back.  SDC replied that they had no plans to bring Tinker back because he was in pretty bad condition. Maybe Copper or Zephon could give us more information about why they took Tinker out.  At least the opening of Frosty the Snowman pays tribute to him.  The actor that provide the voice for Tinker, also played the role of the mailman in the last few seasons of Frosty.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
I think that fella or was it the raindeer passed away........and I am going for the first time to the christmas specktacular this year also! I cannot wait. I am glowing with christmas SDC style gleee!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
I have friends that request to go with us every year JUST at Christmas-time. I am a Wassail man, but my wife says hot chocolate is bar-none the pinnacle of hot chocolates. Maybe it is the cold weather, maybe the holiday mood/ cheer, but everything seems to taste better on my visits uring the holiday times. Good memories will be had by all.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
We aint never made it at Christmas time either, ??? shame on us. The train ride & the lights reflecting off Lake Silver sounds awesome! I bet the coasters would really make ya'r eyes water.
Live life like it's the last day!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »
Oh, yeah, Wildfire, Thunderation, and Powderkeg after dark and in the coolness of an autumn evening are pretty intense.  Its kinda like moonlight madness, only all the shops and stores are open, there's Christmas lights everywhere and there's old-timey-Christmas-carols-type-music playing throughout the park, no modern stuff.  On second thought...it's nothing like MM, with the exception of riding after dark.

And Rube, your wife is right about the hot chocolate!  It's the best!

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:38:36 AM »
I love SDC wasail! ;D  So much that it inspired me many years ago to perfect my own.  While in some respects, mine IS better, I still can't go to SDC during Christmastime without getting several cupfulls of that good ole' SDC wasail! :D

I also really like the Frosty show.  It's cute. :)

And yes, I do love Christmas Carol, and find myself singing, "Thank you very much!  Thank you very much!  That's the nicest thing that anyone has done for me!" ALLLLLLLL year 'round! LOL! :D

But most of all, I just love BEING at Silver Dollar City at Christmas time.  Everything is so pretty and there's so much to see and do!  I just love it!

I do wish they'd do a new show though.  Maybe a version of Miracle on 34th Street or something.  It's time for a new show.  Not that I want to see Christmas Carol go anywhere, but maybe take a "break" and then come back in a few years once I'm done being sick of it?! LOL! ;D

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. Makes me want to check it out even more now. Going down in the middle of October every year is fantastic, but it's always been a big tease as well with many of the buildings already covered in lights (not on of course) and a few of the shops already breaking out their Christmas season decor.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
Question: If I take my kiddo to see the frosty the snow man show, and he gets all 4 year old excited, are there oter 4 year olds that get excited without the parents taking them out for sheer exuberence on the 4 year olds part? I dont want to be one of those parents that let their kid be loud/talk and be disruptive.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »
Let him get excited! It's Christmas time, and Frosty is FUN! It's a family park, too, so why get all upset because some kid next to you is excited? Come on, Frosty!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
I guess.......so my excited kidlet wont bother other patrons? that is great news. and Jr, if I am frosty then you are the abominal snowman.  ;D

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
Frosty is the forum for excited kids...being kids :)
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"