Author Topic: Single Day Ticket Prices (and other things)  (Read 18720 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Single Day Ticket Prices (and other things)
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
Yesterday, I was in the city for the first time this season. I was able to locate a construction marker in the woods around the former WB site. Nothing overly telling, other than proof that something appears to be planned for the area at some point. I must say though, there sure seems to be a lot more usable space in that area than I originally imagined.

Some overall observations from our visit:

1) The park was very clean and all of the staff seemed as friendly as always

2) Food was terrific

3) The park was packed. I've never seen it that busy the second week of October

4) We tried unsuccessfully yet again to purchase a baseball bat with the SDC logo on it and were told HFEC/SDC execs will not allow it. I still cannot figure out how everything else in the park (including custom gifts) can feature the park's own logo, but it's not allowed on a baseball bat their own employees handcraft in the park itself. They're really missing a huge opportunity to probably increase sales for that item by not allowing it.

5) Lastly, while we enjoyed our trip as much as we always do, I was surprised and extremely disappointed that my wife and I had to spend $113 just to enter the park. Of course we paid it, but I think it's absurdly high. Almost $60 for a one-day ticket. Yes, I realize we could have purchased two-day tickets for the same price elsewhere, but we weren't able to commit to two days at the park. Regardless, I think something between $45 and $50 would be more appropriate.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:50:47 PM by BackInTime9 »

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I completely agree with you about the ticket prices (it's the same way at Dollywood) DW is my home park and I have made it clear to them through E-Mail that I think the prices are too high for one-day tickets. They sent me a letter in the mail saying that they add stuff every year so prices have to increase. I personally think that they can raise attendance if they would just lower there ticket prices to where more people could afford them. Although I don't have to worry about that because I buy Dollywood Season Passes, but still I am concerned that attendance will start dropping alot, because both parks are scheduled to raise prices two more dollars next year!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
FYI:  Ticket prices at most Orlando parks for one day tickets are $80+
SWOOSH

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
That is true and most of those parks aren't even worth paying $80 for because your miserable when you walk through the gates. When I visit SDC, DW my home park, DSC, WW I feel at home because there very family friendly.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:10:18 PM by dwfan »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
that does seem high for 1 day prices, i do the season pass so that cost almost seems nonexistent..   not sure what hfec could do about single day costs.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
I'm sure to some extent they do have to charge that but at least lower them 5 or 6 dollars. I am with you I also do the season pass it's a much better value and you also get bring a friend free tickets.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
FYI:  Ticket prices at most Orlando parks for one day tickets are $80+

With all do respect, Swoosh, I think comparisons to any Orlando parks are irrelevant. SDC is a totally separate experience, in a very different region of the country. And while one might say that the same argument could be made about a park chain like Six Flags, I think that caliber of park is more consistent, or comparable if you will, to that of SDC (generally speaking). That said, my wife and I paid less for two season passes to Six Flags (which is good at far more parks) this year than we did for two one-day tickets to enjoy SDC.

I see no argument whatsoever to justify charging $57 for admission to SDC (or any other non-Disney park for that matter). Especially in these economic times.

It's not necessary for HFEC's survival, it's nothing more than gouging the consumer. Pure and simple.

And if they're going to continue raising prices on an annual basis, there better be a genius strategy in place to ensure annual park attendance doesn't take a Wildfire nosedive in the very near future.

Since re-discovering SDC about seven years ago, I never would have never dreamed I could be disappointed about my SDC experience, but this admission price issue is one that really hit a nerve and worries me very much.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
Thank You Backintime9 for understanding what I was saying. Like i've said on here many times my home park is Dollywood and I buy season passes every year, so even though it's not an issue for me I'm afraid it may lower attendance like you said. One positive thing for Dollywood is that season pass sales have sky-rocketed because people want to come back to Dollywood more than once  but they don't want to pay $56 for a ticket so they get season passes. They also have seen an increase in DOllywood Vacations sales because there vacation planning company lets you book everything for a lower fee than buying a hotel and $55 tickets. One thing about Dollywood Vacations that I like is, is that you can stay howeverlong you want in your cabin say (3 days) and get three day tickets at Dollywood for single day prices. So if you stay two weeks you get two weeks worth of Dollywood for a single day price (NOW THAT IS A GOOD DEAL)!

BY THE WAY I FINALLY GOT A PROFILE PICTURE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, IT'S A PHOTO TAKEN AS I WAS PULLING ONTO DOLLYWOOD BLVD. AND THEY HAD BOTH SIGNS JUST BEFORE I GOT TO THE PARKING LOT.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:28:43 PM by dwfan »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Single Day Ticket Prices (and other things)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
I split this topic off the 2011 thread and moved it here. Let's try to keep the discussions in their appropriate places so we can all follow along better.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 09:33:20 PM »
FYI:  Ticket prices at most Orlando parks for one day tickets are $80+

With all do respect, Swoosh, I think comparisons to any Orlando parks are irrelevant. SDC is a totally separate experience, in a very different region of the country. It's not necessary for HFEC's survival, it's nothing more than gouging the consumer. Pure and simple.

With all DUE respect, that's the problem.  You are expecting Disney-quality attractions at a Six Flags price when you go to SDC.  It just doesn't work that way.  When you pay for Six Flags quality, that is what you are going to get.  Do you go into Olive Garden and complain that you are having to pay more than at Fazoli's for basically the same thing?  No, because the QUALITY is higher at Olive Garden.... much the same for SDC and SF
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:07 AM »
swoosh,  that is probably an accurate sumation on your part...       personally i still think the daily price may be a little too high.  because i DO expect sdc theme NOT disney theme, i am sure the overhead between sdc and disney is very different....    I choose sdc because it IS sdc......  there may be 1 or 2 parks nationwide that compare. We are lucky enough than one of them is in our area..   

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:45:44 AM »
In no way am I implying that SDC is a Six Flags level park. I'm simply saying, it's not Disney. And thus, charging almost $60 for admission seems overpriced to me. SDC is unique not doubt, but I simply can't fathom how prices have risen so dramatically in the past five to seven years. If my memory serves me correctly, they've gone up roughly $12 per ticket in that time. I guess until park attendance suffers, it's not going to be an issue for HFEC.

Anyone know when 2011 season passes go on sale, and how much they'll be?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »
agreed!  as long as they can sell tickets,, and attendence maintains, prices will remain and possibly raise.   They may be pushing for season pass sales..   Hard to tell what they are thinking... :-\

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
Season Passes go on sale the first week of November.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
That sounds right..  I have the ticket office on speed dial, and the card is ready! ;D ;D