Author Topic: Single Day Ticket Prices (and other things)  (Read 18907 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Single Day Ticket Prices (and other things)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
that is a bit much for just a one day pass and I could hardly afford to pay that myself. Its hard evough comin up with the dough to go with the season passes I buy which are a way better value. My family has gone 4 times now and plan on going during christmas so it has more than bpught its self back ya know. Maybe the day passes are so much because in reality the season passes are dare I say it, mostly non expensive......
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
Agreed, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City  are as good as Disney. I was up at Dollywood next to the Thunderhead, and I heard a lady telling her friends that she thought Dollywood was just as nice as Disney. All Herschend parks SDC,DW,DSC,WW are 100 times better than any Six Flags park. I would personally have a tow truck hook me up by my townails and drive off full speed than enter the gates of a six flags park or even Cedar Fair. Themeparkreview told Dollywood's Pete Owens that they did not want Dollywood to become like Cedar Fair because Dollywood and SDC are unique. For instance what other two theme parks let you shop til you drop like DW or SDC, NONE!

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
I love Disney's parks to death, but let me say that $80 a ticket is an insult.  I always stood up for places like SDC because they haven't been overrun by greed as Disney has been.  That seems to be changing as SDC has been raising their prices at about the same rate as Disney except with few and less expensive additions (Disney spends about 100K on their rides).

Also, Disney's operating costs are much higher than SDC's, albiet they have a much higher capacity and sell more tickets.  My point is the value would prove it: If Disney were to sell, let's say Epcot today, it would be much higher valued (in dollars) than SDC.  That's the truth.  SDC has no reason to charge $80 to get in the gates and that's why they don't.  SDC is not equal to Disney in cash value, however, memories are priceless and for some people, I'm sure SDC's memories rank higher than Disney's.  So while Disney's experience might be more expensive, SDC can be more enjoyable.  For me, that's not the case, but I can understand how people can enjoy SDC more than Disney.  I do enjoy SDC and am a "fan", but I'm a bigger Disney fan if that makes sense.

A lot of other Disney fans have told me, "If you don't like the prices, don't go."  Well, I went to Orlando this summer and guess what, I didn't go to Disney (a hard, but affordable decision).  For a one day ticket to SDC, they crossed the line at $50.  I was living in Florida for the last couple of years so I missed being at SDC.  I moved back in January and went to SDC in April.  I just bought the season pass since I knew I would be going back again for Christmas.  For over $50 a ticket, I'm more likely to just enjoy being at the hotel relaxing.  That's what I did instead of going to Disney and I don't regret it.  It was the most refreshing vacation ever for me.  I did, however, miss my favorite attractions.  The way I see it, I'll go to Disney again, but instead of going yearly, it'll be every few years.  Theme parks are just too expensive anymore.

That is my opinion though.  SDC's still a good value if you get the season pass and actually use it.  I've used mine three times this year, so yeah, it's worth it compared to the one day pass.  What I don't like though is that they say that they are raising prices because of expansion when the truth is they are just replacing something most of the time and the attraction count is the same as it was before.  What was supposed to be a way to get you to return turn to the park turned into a price gouge.  The only years that I really believe SDC should have raise ticket prices was for the Grand Exposition and the swing, because those two things were actual park expansions.  PK replaced Buzz Saw Falls and River Blast replaced Tom Sawyer Landing (and at the expense of Splash Harbor and WB).

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »
Just throwing this out there, but "entertainment" is one of the last things that families will cut from their "expense report" even if they are hurting for money.

SDC's ticket price increases have been lower than the national average AND are way below the average rate of inflation for most consumables.

SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 03:11:20 AM »
your right.  entertainment will be one of the last things..   I think people will/would sacrifices other items first..  playtime/relaxation always survives.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:40 AM »
Yeah, the wife, kiddies and I need our time away from the problems of life.  To cut loose and just worry about which ride, show or shop to go to next is what we need!   We find peace in the shadows of the trees and the smell of the food, the rushing of the water and the delighted screams of children-young or age challenged.  Long live SDC and the release it brings!
Vote to end 2020!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
yea!  what he said!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »
I just had a thought. I dont know anything about disney so if anyone has correct info please chime in.......you pay 50 or so dollars to get in for one day right?? Thats steep. But what you just paid for is all the amazing shows and rides as many times as you can get, without paying extra. How much is it to see Jim Stafford one time, or the Baldknobbers one time? If all you are going is ONE time in the whole SDC season then I find it a fair, but steep deal.

Disney......do you pay for the extras???
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »
Part of the reason, above regular operating expenses, that tickets are so high, is the high cost of some of the attractions...wildfire, powderkeg, thunderation...all multi-million dollar rides that are not paid off in  a year or two. (Back in my days of working at the park, ticket price was between $7.98 and $9.98 per day, and we all balked at those prices! :))
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
wow! hard to believe! now dinner is more than that! lol...

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
I won't cut out SDC or DW from my life. I have bought season passes to Dollywood every year  (get 50% off my SDC tickets with a Dollywood Season pass) I plan on renewing them for 2011 to enjoy Dollywood's expansions. I will not cut out DW or SDC i can live without satellite TV or any other ammenties, but I need DW and SDC!

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
One thing though usually you can always find a two day ticket for the price of one somewhere and the fact that they have come after 3 the next day is free is a pretty good deal also since you could get almost a day in half off one ticket.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I, once again, will state for the record that I wish they would create a season pass that worked at all their properties.  I think their one day ticket price is a little steep.  On the other hand, their season ticket is probably underpriced a bit.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
SHHHHHHH!  dont ever say that outloud!!.    althought the benefit of 50% off of other property admission is very nice..  I have stated before that i would like to see a substantial discout at dixie stampede in branson..  the discount is only 5.00!!  showboat is 50%...  like to see that modified.. ::)

chitlins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
FYI:  Ticket prices at most Orlando parks for one day tickets are $80+

With all do respect, Swoosh, I think comparisons to any Orlando parks are irrelevant. SDC is a totally separate experience, in a very different region of the country. It's not necessary for HFEC's survival, it's nothing more than gouging the consumer. Pure and simple.

With all DUE respect, that's the problem.  You are expecting Disney-quality attractions at a Six Flags price when you go to SDC.  It just doesn't work that way.  When you pay for Six Flags quality, that is what you are going to get.  Do you go into Olive Garden and complain that you are having to pay more than at Fazoli's for basically the same thing?  No, because the QUALITY is higher at Olive Garden.... much the same for SDC and SF

Most of the Fazoli's in me neck of the woods have folded....just sayin.