Author Topic: My old photos  (Read 32025 times)

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
My old photos
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
I am gonna be scanning over the next few days. From time to time I'll come back and post :)

Here's the start. Many more to come.

Me and my brother (the blond kid) circa late 80s I'm guessing?

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: My old photos
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »
Never got to ride that coaster, but sure played with that pump alot when i was'a kid.
Just love them ol'school Nikes ya'r wearin'! ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
Keep them coming... should have kept better track of my pics through the years I guess....  Nice!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »
From what I can see in the photos it appears they are from around 1985. Items floating in the waters of Lake Silver behind your ore-cart lead me to believe it's 1985 because it would have been part of the "course" in the lake left over from the Greedy Brothers Excursion paddleboat ride they had in 1984. The side of the ore-cart has the words "He's a Greedy" on it, which, I think also refers to the Greedy Brothers Excursion. A signpost in another shot has a directional sign pointing to the "Lost River." Which was new in '85. It alway's takes SDC a year or two to completely wipe out references to old attractions when they make a big change like they did in 84/85 when they got rid of the diving bell and put in Lost River. Other things I see in the photos lead me to believe they are from this time period, too. I was employed at the park just a year or so before your visit.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:21:08 AM »
I concur on the greedy Bros info. 1985 (seeing that , as you said, shanty town, and other greedy references are still there )As well as the arrow for Lost River...

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:11:30 AM »
After looking at the pics again, and looking at me and my brother's ages...I think 1985 is a good guess. I was born in '75 and my brother in '79.

Haha -- these are just the appetizer. My other pics are even better I think.

Also -- my friend Tim has a SDC magazine that's from the 60s I think. It has Ellie Mae and Granny on it. Also I think the town blacksmith? It's in amazing shape. Worth anything?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
It is worth whatever somebody wants to pay! I have the same said magazine, and got it for between $5-$8, but I have seen them go for upwards of $20. The blacksmith is Lloyd "Shad" Heller.

We are pretty good about using the context clues in photos to date things around here. That, and I remember riding the Gandy Dancers as a child, which would have fallen in that same time frame.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
Awesome pics! Guess I need to go through Mom's old photo albums. Most of the newer ones I have include the ex wife. I got some new ones with my fiance, I hope to post them on here sometime week after next.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Hang on to the magazine with Granny, Ellie Mae and Shad, it's from around 1970 or 1971, and, like Rube said, could be worth up to about $20. Now, if you are cleaning out your closets and are thinking about throwing it away...I'll be glad to take it off your hands. I got a copy in the mail after making a request for SDC info as a kids, and showed that magazine to my mom and dad, who in turn took my brother and I and our little sister on our first trip to SDC! So that magazine has strong childhood memories for me.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
I forgot about those cart being down near the lake.  I thought they were
up near the Tom Sawyers Landing.  
I also love the old pumps they had and things like that you would stop at and try your hand.
It took just a min and broke your stride, mission at hand and your day a little.  It was like stopping to smell the roses.
Those things are gone now.  Maybe people tear stuff like that up, I dont know but I miss them

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
Here are more. I appear to be riding the flooded mine w/ strangers. I'm waving. The funny thing about that pic is my dad snapped it right when those people in the front are about to get blasted. No idea the years on these. Also notice on the Lost River I have no shirt. Haha.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
The funny thing about that pic is my dad snapped it right when those people in the front are about to get blasted.  Haha.

Ha! Now that was a funny moment waiting to happen right there! I can only imagine the surprise they received from that blast. ;D

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
These are great pictures coalesce99, thanks for sharing them with us!  We're about the same age and I loved the Gandy Dancer as a kid.   Isn't it funny how all photos from certain decades just have a feeling to them?  Photos from the 60's you can spot right away and ones from my childhood in the 80's just have a certain feel to them.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
Those are VERY cool, indeed!
No matter where you go, there you are.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
more great pics.. thanks :)