Author Topic: My old photos  (Read 32222 times)

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: My old photos
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
The playground was kept in place for several summers. Greedy Brothers disappeared after just the 1984 season.

Actually it was removed several years later. Maybe early 90's? I remember playing on this as a kid.  One of my favorite spots. Why did they get rid of the Greedy Brothers Shanty Town? It was a simple yet fun playground over the water. 

Here is what's left of the old shanty town...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/4197254401/in/photostream/
(the photo is property of tinmann620)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Very interesting! This is another item to add to my scavenger hunt of historic relics at Silver Dollar City.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Nice find with Tinmans photos. I had not seen that area with the water level as low as it was in 2009 OTC. I assumed there was something left down there, but the murky water  didn't help last time I looked in the spring. I'll have to check on the early 90s photos in my items...I gotta have some somewhere!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
Yeah, I never had seen the lake water level so low, either. The park draws down the water level in winter, I guess to allow maintenance of the buildings and structures on the edge of the lake. With so much stuff in the lake, I suppose they really have to pull that level down now. Now here is a real triva question for you all...does anyone remember when there was NOTHING around or in the lake in the late 60's and early to mid 70's except for a dummy in a boat that was posed as if fishing? The conducter on the train would get all upset, seeing the guy in the boat, fire a shot at him because he was fishing in the conductors' boat, or using his fishing rod, or just on his lake, or something...and when the shot was fired, the guy in the boat would turn and shake his fist at the conductor. It always got a huge laugh from the folks riding the train! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »
That's classic comedy right there! :D

How did it operate Junior? Did the train conductor have some sort of remote control feature from the train?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
I don't know how it worked. I suppose there was a switch on the tracks or something of that nature. I know the guy in the boat was in place between 1970 and about 1976. That's a rough guess. I know the gag was not in place after Rube Dugan began his diving bell operations in 1977.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
The playground was kept in place for several summers. Greedy Brothers disappeared after just the 1984 season.

Actually it was removed several years later. Maybe early 90's? I remember playing on this as a kid.  One of my favorite spots. Why did they get rid of the Greedy Brothers Shanty Town? It was a simple yet fun playground over the water. 

Here is what's left of the old shanty town...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/4197254401/in/photostream/
(the photo is property of tinmann620)

Yes, It was removed sometime in the 90's. I use to play in Shanty Town as a kid in the early 90's. I really enjoyed playing in there and being above the water like that was fun! My mom & dad would always share a pretzel at one of those tables and watch me as I played in Shanty Town. After that, it was time to go play in the ball pit, and climb the ropes course; which I was always scared my feet would go through! Good times!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
I've got a pic of my sis and I at the Shanty Town in '94, so it was there at least through that year.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
Please post your photo! I love seeing those old shots.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
Can someone tell me how to insert a picture? I have a good photo of Tom Sawyers Landing from 2005, showing the ropes course, tunnel slides and part of the balloon ride.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 04:11:28 PM »
DCB: Best way to do it is to get a Photobucket account (it's free) and upload it to there. Then copy/paste the URL of the photo into a message here on the board.

Junior: Here's the link to me in Shanty Town; it's a picture of a picture. Haven't gotten around to scanning my pics yet.

((click on the thumbnails to see the full size pics)

While I'm at it, here's a pic of the waterfall and its path back in '94:

A pic of me and Terry Sanders squaredancing in 1995 with my grandparents:

And Buzz Aldrin giving a speech on opening day in 1997 (back when the first day of World Fest was the first day of the season):

It's hard to think back and realize that the newest of those pictures is 13 years old! I may only be 25, but boy, sometimes I feel so old! LOL
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:16:42 PM by tinaalsgirl »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
Nice shots...thanks for posting.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
more great pictures.. thanks

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »
Those are some awesome pictures Tina! ;D

The one with you in Shanty Town is a riot!

I miss being able to walk behind the waterfall in the second picture. However, I never remembered the dock being there before. What was it used for?

Seeing Terry, your grandparents, and yourself square dancing is a hoot! Everyone looked like they were having a great time.

Nice catch with Buzz Aldrin! Although, an astronaut in the 1880's seems a little out of place.  :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:29:57 AM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
There was a period for about two or three years in the early/mid 80's that the pond at the waterfall was used to stage very popular lumberjack log rolling contests. Aunt Judy's (the storyteller) husband, Richard Young, a fine SDC entertainer, emceed the log rolling contests. The dock at the pond was used by Richard and it was a place the log rollers got on and off the logs.