Author Topic: Off-Season SDC Photos  (Read 3072 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Off-Season SDC Photos
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
In case any of you aren't monitoring the home page, Copper has once again sent in a batch of photos from beyond what the general public can see. This time, we're getting a glimpse of what SDC looks like for the 3 months it's not operating.

http://www.sdcfans.com/galleries/sdc_winter_08/sdc_winter_08.php

I thought it was interesting to see the Flooded Mine cars laying all over the pathway - I always assumed they had a storage area or something where those were hauled off to for winter re-builds.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Season SDC Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »
Wow. Thanks a lot for those pictures Copper. So what is the normal schedule for a day at SDC in the offseason?? Do they do anything?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »
A lot goes on during the off-season. Several of the crafts people work (potters, glass blowers...) to stock up on merchandise of the approaching season. Roller coaster cars are taken apart inspected and repaired. Buildings some times get new roofs (like what is going on with the Springhouse). The cave is getting new handrails in different areas of the trails. People in the offices are always working planning for the season and probably even still finishing up with the last. Maintenance and Construction are busy all over the park. Lat year one of their big projects was installing new electrical on Main Street for the large Christmas tree.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »
Interesting. So how many workers are there in the park during the offseason in the day?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
I don’t have a number, but there are quite a few. The candy, glass, pottery, furniture, candles and other crafters have two to five crafters working. There are people in the offices working on finance, entertainment, marketing, human resources and other divisions planning the New Year and the job fair that will be coming up soon. M&C is the maintenance and construction division and they are working literally all over the park. They are replacing handrails in the cave to repairing and inspecting rides. In the pictures I sent they are taking all the balloons down from the Sky Chase, hopefully they are fixing the colors of the balloons because they were looking a little faded. There are carpenters and painters. The painters work on buildings and also the numerous signs throughout the park such as menus, themed pictures and ride guides. The ladies in the costume shop are sewing dresses and pants for the different restaurants, shops and rides. The entertainment division has a separate costume shop for working on the show costumes. There is a lot to do before the upcoming season.