Author Topic: Old SDC Brochures  (Read 6274 times)

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Old SDC Brochures
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
I have a fairly large collection of old amusement/theme park memorabilia, including old brochures, postcards, etc.  There's some stuff from Silver Dollar City that I'll share here.

This is a 1984 brochure.  It mentions of a few of the old attractions that have been discussed in other threads:

Front/Back Cover:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/SDCb/sdcmo1b.jpg
Inside 1:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/SDCb/sdcmo3.jpg
Inside 2:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/SDCb/sdcmo4.jpg
Inside 3:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/SDCb/sdcmo5.jpg
Inside 4:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/holtskee/SDCb/sdcmo6.jpg

I also have brochures from '81, '82, '83, and '87 that I will post when I have a chance.  Hope everyone enjoys! (If you have any of your own feel free to post them here as well!)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:04:33 PM by Dukefan »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Old SDC Brochures
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
Awesome, thanks for sharing this!

Check out the ad for the Gandy Dancer (2nd image). I thought it was older than that.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Does anyone think that the cover picture of the Flooded Mine is from Dollywood’s Flooded Mine?

The reason I say this:
-the boats are different than the ones at SDC
-the scene that they are going through is at SDC, but you don’t go  under it you go beside it.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
^Correct.  That photo appears in a few old DW brochures as well.  I can confirm that it is in fact the Tennessee Flooded Mine on the basis that the family in the boat are in some other promotional pictures for SDCTN.

For several years Dollywood used a photo of Fire in the Hole to represent Blazing Fury:

It seems the two parks mostly use their own photos now.  (Which is great...I can't stand how Six Flags and some other chains simply use stock photos on their websites)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:50:00 PM by Dukefan »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
Thanks Dukefan! That is awesome. When did the Gandy Dancer close? I know we don't know a specific date, but does anyone know the where abouts?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:09:23 PM by Dukefan »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
^That was neat. Thanks Dukefan. I enjoy looking at old brochures. They're fun to read. Anyways, I also didn't know that guests were served dinner before the Echo Hollow show. That is pretty cool. They should do that now.  ;D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »
^^Wow!  Thanks so much.  Boy, that was back in the day.  Only three major festivals (no Kids Fest!), with the biggest draw the five week Fall National Crafts Festival.  And the City was only open from April 30-October 23!  It's also interesting to see how they used a panel to highlight everything to do in the Branson area.  Clearly they were trying to draw people to the area, so this was before SDC could draw solely on its name.  They were trying to say come to Branson, and while you're here visit SDC.  Now it's more like while you're in Branson visit SDC.  They don't have to worry so much about getting people to visit Branson, just getting them to visit SDC while they're there.

Looking forward to seeing the 1981 brochure! :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
I was certainly there in '83, but I don't remember eating dinner in Echo Hollow.  I doubt many people did.  Most people don't want a sit-down meal in the heat.  It would be nice if they offered something a little more substantial that pretzels and funnel cakes, though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:39 PM »
They did indeed serve a meal with the show in the first season of Echo Hollow.  And, they had a surcharge for it, about $7, I think.  There were tables in the upper seating areas, what we call the mezzanine level, and in the upper level below where the Culinary Arts building now sits.  The meal consisted of a chicken leg & thigh, a portion of baked beans, corn on the cob, and a biscuit. 

The show was called "Echo's From the Hollow," and wasn't a bad show at all.  But, I may be biased because I was in it.  It was a musical comedy.  A story about the supposed early settlement of SDC, revolving around two families, the love between the son of one and the daughter of the other, and then tragedy with the son being killed in the Civil War.  It had some very funny parts, some very touching moments, and a patriotic ending.

Alas, the extra charge for the show killed it.  The next season was the first for Rodney Dillard and crew (I believe), and it was free.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »
I have a book with pics from that show, but I always thought I had been missing the EH show for a long time since I'd never seen it.  I thought my family had always missed the very existence of EH.  Our first shows were the Dillards and crew and we loved them.  The Branson Bros. followed and we loved them too.  Since those two shows, I've not enjoyed the EH shows nearly as much.

Are you still a performer?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
No, sadly.  I miss it.  I got married in '89 and, while I still performed for a couple more years, I soon realized that having a steady year-round position was more important for the family.  So, I went into the Entertainment Technical department and have been doing lights and set work since then.  The kids are now grown though so maybe one of these years I'll try to get back into entertaining.  It's my first love.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"