Author Topic: CC to become Wild Adventures?  (Read 16118 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: CC to become Wild Adventures?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
2010 is still the stated re-opening date as far as I've heard. The concept details probably won't be announced until this summer.

However, it's all subject to the economic climate at this point. As with the other Herschend projects, they're all kind of sitting on their hands waiting to see how many people in the area get laid off this year before too much goes forward.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
I would think there would have to be some heavy and costly maintenance on rides and facilities that aren't being used.  Something has to happen or they will take a huge loss.  Two or three years?  That seems like a long time without a decision to sell, parcel, rebrand, or reopen. 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
If it is putting in an aquarium- I know with the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks we were talking about a lengthy project for construction and arrival of critters- I don't think you could wait until the summer to begin if one is shooting for a 2010 opening.

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
Anyone associated with CC or SDC doing any work at CC.  What is involved with "mothballing" a park?  Any general maintenance going on?  Was any of the merchandise closed out and sold off.  Will grass, flowers, shrubs be maintained? Any weather damage, downed tree limbs, backed up storm drains, frozen or broken pipes, etc.   Just interested in how ones closes up shop, and how quickly they could open back up? Thanks

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
From what I have heard and observed, they have winterized the park like normal.  They just won't take things back out come Spring.  I would imagine that the Circus Trees will still be cared for meticulously per the agreement that they have with the Bonfantes.  I imagine that for the most part all the other things will be looked after but not to the level of horticulture "show ready" as if the park was open.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
Opening up an old thread here but I had a thought. I know it is probably, more like definitely, not in the Herschend's budget right now, but what if they used the CC property to build a SDC themed resort? It is in a great location, practically dying to be built and developed into something great. They could offer shuttle buses to SDC and just think how great it could be themed.

I don't think HFE wants to make the same mistake twice, so I don't see a park re-opening here. I know its not in their budget now, but in the future, 5-10 years? Could we see a SDC themed resort here?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
I'm sure that ball has been thrown around already. I certainly see a resort as the perfect tool for their portfolio. I mean, they could control a families entire vacation from one spot. Visitors could be bussed from the resort to HFEC's other properties in the area - offering a huge relief from the strains of traffic, and offering all kinds of incentives to buy multi-property passes. Seems like the perfect plan to me.

At this point it seems like their plan is still to hold stay put until there's marked improvement in the area, which may be helped by SDC adding something major soon... Could be years still until they make a serious move. Maybe they'll just divide the property and sell it off, I don't think they can sit on that place forever.

Anyone know of anything going on at the place?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
^No, nothing seems to be happening, but it seems like that area is a "death sentence" for businesses 'specially now with Happy Trails going belly up and selling everything off too.  ???
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »
^I think if they did things correctly, HFE could really take advantage of that spot. As we've talked about before, CC had it's problems. Maybe they could learn from their mistakes.

It would be a huge investment for them to make.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
There's a great new photo TR from WA here showing off the old CC rides: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54955

Seems pretty surreal to me that part of CC is not only gone already, but operating somewhere else. Kind of makes me wonder what will leave this year.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 12:04:02 PM »
Wow, thanks for the interesting link! It is like watching the parts from your car being reinstalled on someone else's car.

I guess I cannot complain too much. I am grateful that these rides are still bringing smiles to faces rather than rotting away in a back lot.  :)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
It's great to see that HFE has really turned around this park. I hope they can continue to make it even better and it just shows what type of company they are by planting so many trees and landscaping.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
So, in reference to the title of this thread, CC is not really becoming Wild Adventures - it's just moving to Wild Adventures.

UNI Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 01:21:04 AM »
Why did SDC acquire this property in the first place?  Wasn't it a theme park/carnival prior to becoming CC?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 01:23:39 AM »
One theory is that they were able to remove the competition (while at the same time hoping to turn a profit).  Weren't there rumors of another company or some star power acquiring the property ahead of HFE?  Anyway, in that sense, they succeeded!

It is a primo location, and we hope something major might replace or add to what is already there.