Author Topic: Kidsfest  (Read 11935 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Kidsfest
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
^Whoa there cowboy, all we're doing is pointing out a few minor details that would have a lot of impact on improving the park experience, no one's exactly crying here.

I'm spectacularly enthused with the park, that's why I've been visiting it since I was 3, that's why I run this site. I agree that it's the best park in the midwest, in fact I think it's the best in the world, that's why I like to critique it in places most people could care less about.

It's hard to really express the thoughts that are being thrown around in this thread without sounding cynical and wussy, but trust me, no one here thinks SDC is turning into a crap heap like most SF parks.

I don't think I heard anyone whining about the new Culinary Arts center, in fact, it was an answer to the prayers of many of ours; and I'm sure we'll all be absolutely jumping for joy when the 2009 project is announced - but of course we'll be critiquing it after the initial shock wears out, we'll have nothing else to do for the months it will take to build it.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:57:43 PM by shavethewhales »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:46 AM »
I actually think that the culinary school sounds pretty interesting. I am stating constructive criticism something Pete Herschend taught me. I love SDC more than any other park. I can also tell you that it isn’t simply the rides that impress me; it is the people and the atmosphere (the smell of the wet wood near the Plunge, hearing the blacksmith's hammer and the ghost horses crossing the old wooden bridge). Mary Herschend started a great thing and I think it should continue.

I agree with Steve, I think we all love SDC and love talking about it in every way. When we critique the City we are in no way simply putting it down.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:28:54 AM by Copper »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
There is a fine line between critique and whine.  Make sure you tread carefully.  I know some of you mean the best by your comments, however try your best to not become like those "fans" of Disney parks who cannot do anything but complain about "progress"
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:01 PM »

I think I know that the people who bother sharing their ideas on here love Silver Dollar City. I don't know how you misunderstood. I like all of SDC's rides never once have I complained that they are threatening the theme. All I said was in some instances (flying pigs) that they could try a little harder.

It’s hard when you are not speaking face to face with someone. It is easy to misunderstand what they mean and say.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:29:41 PM by Copper »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
Truth be told the tattoo booth and the bouncing basketballs confuse me.  SDC should hire some of us from these forums as an advisory committee for present and future projects.  I know we could walk through and scrutinize some of the easy-to-fix things in the park, and we all know we could come up with some creative additions and concepts for the future.  None of this would be a complaint about the park - just a road to discovery for ways to improve the park and expand revenue.  After attending this park for the past 40 years, I feel like I've made somewhat of an investment in the place, and I want it to be the best it can be.  That's what it seems these forums are about.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
You're all starting to sound like those Disneyana people who are never happy about what the Disney parks do and are the first to jump on some nit picky detail.  2009 will be a very nice project.  Please don't start whining about it the minute it gets released.

The thing is this isn't nitpicking.  It's a very visible shift.  If you go on to normal, non-enthusiast websites like Epinions.com or Topix, you'll find that even the average Joes make mention of how Silver Dollar City has changed.

FYI Disney geek level nitpicking would mean bitching about how the park reaaranged the trashcans overnight. So far I haven't seen that here.   

Sheesh you want the park to be a freakin' museum? 

Museum? hahaha hardly.

Basically it just boils down to personal tastes.  Some people like the Herschend parks the way they were before, some like them better now.  If you like the parks the way they are now, good for you.  However some of us have different opinions and by simply stating them we are not "whining". That's something you'll have to except, just like we have to accept your opinions as well.  ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
There is a fine line between critique and whine.  Make sure you tread carefully.  I know some of you mean the best by your comments, however try your best to not become like those "fans" of Disney parks who cannot do anything but complain about "progress"

This is a really good point, regardless of whether or not it wholly applies to this thread.

When scrutinizing SDC, you really have to remember the hard work that they put into everything, when they could make like the rest of the world and try to squeeze profit out of every corner. There are slip-ups, but it's hard to criticize these without sounding negative towards the park as a whole.

It's just something that we all need to bear in mind.

Back on topic though, maybe there is a way we can politely ask the park to look at the areas we criticize, without bitching. I could try to build a feature on the site that allows users to suggest improvements, and then everyone can vote up the improvements they want the most. SDC management may be interested in watching that, although it would be tough to moderate, and even tougher to present in an appropriate manner.
I'll have to look into it, but does it sound interesting?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
^That'd be really cool. The only thing that bothers me about SDC right now are those stupid sideshow games in the Grand Expo and TGS areas. I absolutely hate them!! I don't really mind anything else.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 09:33:54 PM »
I really don't mind the sideshow games as long as they remain "everyone wins". Pay 3 bucks and no matter how good or bad you are, you win a prize; basically, you're buying an item but having a bit more fun doing it.

At Worlds of Fun, you can spend TONS of money and be lucky to get any sort of worthwhile prize. I like that "everyone wins" at SDC.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »
Peach baskets are what the sideshow games need, Peach baskets for the basketball game.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
I hope that the Veggie Tale Show will be better than the one at CC.  While my kids loved it,  I was stunned at how little exposure to Larry and Bob that my kids got during the show.