Author Topic: Kidsfest  (Read 11942 times)

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Kidsfest
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
Of course, maybe there's more going on during Kidsfest, which I never personally visit.

;D Off topic here, but I liked that comment. Kidsfest is one thing I wish Dollywood hadn't imported over from SDC...I remember when you could visit in the summer and just enjoy the park in regular mode without any tacky decorations or festival booths clogging up the walkways.

In all honesty I don't even think the kids pay it much mind either, other than the Veggie Tales show.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:23:21 PM by shavethewhales »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Kidsfest
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
^Yeah, but it sure looks good on brochures. Isn't it their most crowded festival? It can get pretty cheesy though.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Kidsfest
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:49:27 PM »
I suppose it improved attendance, but from what I can remember Dollywood was already very crowded during the summers before Kidsfest came.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:21:06 PM by Dukefan »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Kidsfest
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »
It helps with repeatability of the park.  SDC has seen its attendance grow by just adding more festivals then large cap investments.  By 'changing' up the park every so often it makes it easier for more repeat visitors then if the park was 'the same' everytime a guest visits.

Sure you might think it is tacky, etc, but you are not the GP -- who in fact LOVES kidsfest.
SWOOSH

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Kidsfest
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
My problem with the Dollywood version of Kidsfest is that the park basically just becomes a big showroom for vendors.  They set up a bunch of booths, and around every corner you are trying to be enticed to buy something by sales people (toys, candy, even video games).  They have a few clowns walking around, but other than that its pretty much just vendor booths. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Kidsfest
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 07:47:19 PM »
^Huh, I don't think that has completely transfered to SDC, at least not yet. I mean, I've seen a few vendors, but since the 'new age' of SDC started (Meaning since Wildfire was built and the park became more of an amusement park), there have always been some vendors around with cheap gimmicks.
I was stopped by one duo once though, who were trying to pass off elongated hacky-sacks as the new craze.

Clowns? I hope to god we don't get any of those. That's not even kid-friendly.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Kidsfest
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
Yes, Kidsfest gets the park off its theme.  The 1800s didn't see very many Extreme bikes and skateboarders with their thumping music (or singing vegetables for that matter).  I can buy the Circus on Ice thing as a passing-through-town attraction of the day, but they should really be careful about breaking with the theme.  Keeping it fresh while keeping on-theme is the challenge that makes SDC fun.  Are you reading all these posts, Conductor Sam?  Just say no to tacky.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Kidsfest
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:26:48 PM »
I wonder if there's a way that they could both keep Kidsfest, yet keep the park's character in tact? Like dale said, the circus on ice can be passed off well enough, but what about the rest of the stuff? I'll bet with a little renaming, the skateboarding and the modern music could fit in. Just slap a 'come see these kids try out Dr. Harris's new roller-board invention' tag line or something on the events, and they would fit in better.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 02:27:20 AM »
Certain people in charge of SDC think they have to break the City’s theme to stay up to date with today’s crowd. I think that is a cop out, it would be great if they intergraded new and fun shows and attraction while keeping it in theme. Just like you said the Circus could stay. They could bring 1800s themed circus attractions in to decorate the park. The cages and carriages alone would be cool just to look at. Please try a little harder SDC!

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »
I don't think Silver Dollar City has gone quite as off course with the themeing and atmosphere as Dollywood has, (In some ways Dolly seems to have gone the root of just being a typical theme park) but from what I can tell there has been a very visible shift in both parks over the last 15 years or so.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »
I guess I am not seeing this SHIFT at SDC.  Look at the recent expansions: PowderKeg Gap is still within the theme, TGS @ Wilson's Farm is very much within the theme, The Expo is even within the theme.  Not seeing the problem.

As far as festivals. World Fest works, BBQ, Harvest Festival, and Southern Gospel Picnic REALLY WORK, Old Time Christmas depends on your point of view but works imho.  KidsFest is fine and honestly the theme is still in tact at everything the have done.

I guess I am not seeing this "non-arguement" that you guys are trying to create.  However since I sort of work for the park I might be a little biased
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
You have to look at the way the park attracted people in pre-Wildfire days vs. now to see the 'shift'. It's not a great big shift, just a change of philosophy. Most of the festivals and new rides are fitting in marvelously for the most part, but if you get really picky like some of us are, then the caricature booths and the air-brush t-shirt stalls that have been popping up as well really distract from the perfectly harmonious Old-time theme that used to exist.

I mean, remember when it was just a city? There wasn't as much to do, but it held a much more powerful atmosphere because of the way the experience relied on novelties, shopping, and generally experiencing the park. Now, you go there for the rides and your experience is often largely based off of that. It's not like the park has gotten worse or anything by any means, it's just that progress has brought a change in the feel of the park, maybe a little more than it needed.

I don't mind it really, I just think that by changing a few things here and there, it could bring a lot of power back into the atmosphere.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »
I guess I am not seeing this "non-arguement" that you guys are trying to create.

It's actually very clear. Like I said, both SDC and Dollywood have became more like normal theme parks, compared to how back in the day they were so unique that one really couldn't even call them that in the normal sense. In fact, I would go as far as to say that they really use to be more like culture centers.

As shavethewhales said, a "change of philosophy" sums it up perfectly. 

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 11:37:24 PM »
Culture Center, I like that! I can see the theme keep slipping in many places on park. I think they could be a little more creative when it comes to some of the rides. The Galleon could have been some type of steam contraption and don’t get me started on the flying elephants and don’t get me wrong I like the Expo. I think the Giant swing is clever. I really enjoy the barn theme, but it doesn’t look complete to me. I also see the theme slip within the employees.

These little things are what bother me the most: wearing colorful tennis shoes with a 1800s costume, management wearing polo shirts just because they don’t want to dress in theme, talking on a cell phone while in front of guests, shops loaded with junk from China...

and I forgot the tunnel in the American Plunge.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:47:42 PM by Copper »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 11:48:39 PM »
A1: If you want to be "technical" about it, the "culture center" started slipping when ThuNderaTion was added as it was the first real "thrill ride" added to the park.  Also I think Geyser Gulch sticks out more as a sore thumb then the EXPO.  Expo is at least hid from the main midway whereas GG is right out there for everyone to see.

B52: Even Disney has slipped on theme.  SDC is nothing compared to how much theme has slipped at Disney parks.  So count your blessing on that alone.

C4: SDC and Dollywood are apples and oranges.  DW is a juxtaposation of themes whereas SDC at least has one central theme that is played out.

D8: Don't complain about TGS's theme as it could have easily just been put out there without the facade and theme area.  They did a very nice job.

EIO: The way you guys are talking makes me rather ill.  You are making it sound like SDC is becoming a Six Flags park.  It couldn't be any further from that if it tried.  Stop complaining about the best park in the midwest and start being thankful for what you have.  You're all starting to sound like those Disneyana people who are never happy about what the Disney parks do and are the first to jump on some nit picky detail.  2009 will be a very nice project.  Please don't start whining about it the minute it gets released.

Sheesh you want the park to be a freakin' museum?  The way some of you are talking it sure sounds like it, then when they released that they were only going to add a Culinary Arts School next year, you whined that they weren't adding a new ride.  Please make up your mind what you want the park to do and stop riding the fence.
SWOOSH