Author Topic: Wild Cave Tours  (Read 3362 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Wild Cave Tours
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
About two years ago there was alot of buzz about the cave opening up the Mammoth Room, and there were reports at that time that the cave was also working on a new excursion where guests could go on a "wild" cave tour that would start in the Mammoth Room and end behind the tower in the Cathedral Room. You would get to travel through the Bat Room and the Dungeons.

According to Old Guy back in 08'
"There has been talk of opening other parts of the cave for years, the problem being areas like the lakes passage can only be accessed by crawling through long passages, dropping down several drops, only to end at the grand cravas, two narrow walls you must chimney down. All that to get to the lake. One you are there its cool though. Mystic river is a mud crawl that just keeps getting smaller, and lost river passage behind the dam is structuraly unsound do to the flooding and pressure from the water."

Understandably this would have a possible negative effect on the state of the cave due to the numbers of people entering the cave via this "wild" route so this would likely need to be a very small group. I am aware that several caving/ spelunking  groups from around Branson occasionally enter the cave and journey "off road". Caves like Mammoth Cave in KY offer this type of tour for$48 a person, and there are strict limitations on numbers of entrants, as well as height limitations, and clothing restrictions. I am pretty well versed in caving. spelunking around StL, and I would pay $50 to see a part of the cave not seen by a large part of the population.

How about you?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:27:25 AM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Cave Tours
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
I am so sorry that as a young fellow in the period of 1979-1983 I did not take advantage of my friendship with Jace Land (grandson of noted Branson area journalist Townsend Godsey) and take him up when he offered me several chances to do a wild cave tour with Bruce Herschend and a small group of other friends. (Bruce, Jace, and I went to high school together in Branson, Bruce graduated in '79, Jace and I graduated in '80.) I missed my chance! I'm too old, fat, and crippled up to get into that adventure today! A regular cave tour at Marvel Cave would probably ruin me for the rest of the day now. However, if you do have a chance to take a wild tour of the cave I would HIGHLY reccomend it! The stories I've heard about the wild parts of the cave were great...alot of crawling on your belly through mud with bats inches above  your head...all in an effort to get to the lake! I hope a few of you have your chance...and don't be like I was and pass on the chance. :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
A wild cave tour at Marvel Cave would be awesome!  I did one at Mammoth which was pretty gnarly and go with a friend annually to Illinois Caverns State Natural Area.  I've read the book SDC sells concerning the cave, and the untoured areas sound cool.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »
I have taken this "wild" Marvel Cave tour and I am here to tell you that it isn't for the faint of heart!  Maybe that is all in the eye of the beholder because I am just a tad afraid of natural locations that are truly "wild"....and dark....and dank....and scary!

It truly was amazing to take this journey and I came out looking like a muddy bum, but it did involve crawling on my stomach in some very tight passages where I barely got myself through.  Not one who is claustrophobic by nature, I felt trapped several times.  At one point, we straddled a very large cravas; and when I mean straddle....it was pretty wide and the only way to get past it was to call back on my grade school jungle gym techniques.

Here's the invite I got for the after hours tour!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/2832046516/in/set-72157601729928940/
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »
It sounds like fun, but i dont think i could handle it. Just watchin' stuff like that on TV makes me paranoid. I need my 3 feet of personal space.
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »
Again Betamike, You have made me extremely jealous/ envious of you! I have gone thorough many a cave, and tight spot, come out muddy and wet, and just glad to be out...but that doesn't stop me from going back does it?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
No need to be envious, just one of life's little diary entries for me.  I have to say when the man with the keys to the cave offers....you say yes!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:59:30 AM »
Some time after 1985, the cave became longer, steeper, and tighter. Just the regular tour is now "wild" enough for me!