Author Topic: A Detailed Discussion: Food/Drinks  (Read 19336 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
A Detailed Discussion: Food/Drinks
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Welcome to the fourth week of "A Detailed Discussion"!

Since I'm late getting this up (school is in session now, so suddenly busy busy busy), and next Monday is Labor Day, I'm going to make this the thread for this week AND next week and keep it going until a week from this coming Monday.

The current Discussion will be stickied as well as the previous, so there will always be two threads of this project at the top of the thread for people to have easy access.

INFO ON A DETAILED DISCUSSION THREADS

I thought I might try something new on here. Once a week, I'll post a new thread where we can have detailed discussion of a specific aspect of SDC where we can give compliments, air concerns, and do comparisons to SDC's sister park Dollywood. Once all the topics on my list have been exhausted, I will be going through all the threads and putting together a "Fandom Entreaty" including direct quotes and the like (as long as you give permission). Once put together, I'll post the Entreaty to the forum for everyone to read and give ideas for changes, omissions, additions, etc. Once we have a final draft, I will be sending it to SDC.

TOPIC 4: FOOD/DRINKS

For the fourth "A Detailed Discussion," I am using the topic of food and drinks as requested by Duelist. This is something that is one of those non-Fest topics that will keep us busy in between Fest-related topics.

To give a bit of a format to these Detailed Discussion threads, here's a list of questions to get things started:

What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? Least favorite?

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Least favorite?

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Least favorite?

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Least favorite?

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Least favorite?

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge?

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?

So.... let the Detailed Discussion begin!

Joy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:18:31 PM by tinaalsgirl »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: A Detailed Discussion: Food/Drinks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant?  Gah!!!!!  So hard...I never miss an opportunity to eat at Jack's Sandwich Shop.   Because of the heritage and because that is probably the best dang muffaletta sandwich I have ever had.

Least favorite?  By default, all SDC food locations are good, but if I had to pick.....Wagonworks Grill

What is your favorite concession-type food place?   I'm going to say the Lumbercamp and here's why....I only go there for the fried pickles.  So they serve me as a concession place more than a sit down location.

Least favorite?  The snack location at Grand Expo.  Nothing against them...just generic is all.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc?   I'm pretty easy as long they fill my mug with Mr. Pibb!

Least favorite?  The furthest one away from where I am at that particular time.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)?   Candy Factory!!!

Least favorite?  Not a jerky fan much at all.  Not that I hate it, just never see it as a delicious snack along my travels at SDC

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks?  I don't get to go to many of the festivals any more....but if I can mention that the Candy Factory does special demonstrations during the holidays, does that count?

Least favorite?  Not a fan of wassail at ALL.

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge?  I just can't get behind the Dip n' Dots fascination.  Serve the real thing, I say!

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?  Okay, this isn't so much of an add, but on trips past they used to have the best teas served at the little window outside the Culinary School.  It has been closed on my recent trips. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:23:08 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? The mill restaurant

Least favorite? There are some I have not been to, but all I have been to i enjoy...

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Calico Potato Skillet

Least favorite? Liberty Pavillion-Grand Exposition

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Frozen Lemonade/Strawberry Ice

Least favorite? N/A

What is your favorite shop/stand for food? Apple Butter

Least favorite? Dip n' Dots

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? BBQ Platter is good but can be pricey

Least favorite? N/A

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge? Dip n' Dots

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge? Small batch Root Beer or Sarsaparilla (this was once a part of the Harvest Festival in the 1980's)

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? sure

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? The Mill, Hey I noticed thay have actually reduced the buffet price to $9.99, that will bring me back to this best value.  Least favorite? Aunt Polly's, chicken was so dry and spare the one time we ate there.

What is your favorite concession-type food place? The one with the fried pork fritter sandwich. Least favorite? Dippin Dots or any other branded product.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Frozen lemonade. Least favorite?  Don't know of one.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)?  Eva's and Delilah's Least favorite? Jerky

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Smores at Christmas and Hot Chocolate. Least favorite? Don't guess I have any.

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge? Dippin Dots and other branded places; Aunt Polly's, unless we caught them on a bad day.

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge? Pizza Concession, my daughter will always eat cheese pizza.

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished?  Sure

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? This is a tough one because I generally spend more time adventuring than I do sitting down to eat. However, I always seem to make a stop at the Riverside Ribhouse.

Least favorite? Hard to say because I generally do not spend a lot of time at the restaurants. However, Aunt Polly’s Fried Chicken sounds the least appetizing to me while at the park.

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Lumbercamp Falls Skillet. I just love to hear that pan sizzle!

Least favorite? I don’t have one specifically, however I tend to lean away from anything plain, and generic.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Any stand with cream soda!

Least favorite? There just aren’t enough notable ones to come up with a least favorite.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Brown’s Candy Factory! Or, wait what about Phoebe Snapp Taffy! I just can’t decide. ;D

Least favorite? Honey Heaven. I love honey, but I could easily pass by this shop without buying anything.

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Not too picky so long as I have my pumpkin pie in the fall, and some hot chocolate, and spice in the winter.

Least favorite? The food at World's Fest can sometimes be a hit, or miss.

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge? Anything, and everything that falls into the category of generic “Six Flags” style food.

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge? I wouldn’t add anything in particular. I would just tweak the menu to make sure that all of the food choices feature the best Ozark southern cooking possible. Don’t forget the funnel cakes! :D

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? Absolutely.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? Mollie's Mill. This and the Mine are the only sit-down restaurants I've been to in SDC. We have recently stopped eating here because it is too pricey for four people. A fun experience though!
 Least favorite? n/a

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Fried Pickles at Lumbercamp. Least favorite? n/a

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Does drink barrel count? An ice cold root beer. Least favorite?  n/a

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Apple turnover from the Apple Butter Shop, Peppered Jerky from the Jerky stand, Cinnamon Bread from Sullivan's and, of course, pork rinds! Family Feud succotash is my favorite. Least favorite? The funnel cakes because I get sick at the smell of the fried batter.

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Wassail! Least favorite?  n/a

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge? Dippin' Dots

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge? n/a

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? sure thing although i didn't provide the most quotable answers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:18:58 AM by haytater »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:35:12 AM »
I don't have enough recent experience to comment on the restaurants, but from my 2009 trip, I have to say the Main Street lemonade cart vendor was top notch.

He was an older gentleman, 60-75, white hair and mustache, and he totally sold his product as the "best lemonade you'll ever taste". We actually agreed that it was among the best ever.

It was hucksterism, but he was polite and low key and enjoyable to listen to. He wasn't selling snake oil to the crowd, and he wasn't a sideshow barker; he was directly engaging us one-on-one after we approached his cart for some lemonade. We wanted a cold drink, and intended to buy one when we walked up, but his beautiful banter as he prepared the drinks kept us engaged. He didn't just hand us a drink and take our cash, he kept us entertained as he slowly and carefully squeezed the lemons and measured the sugar and shook the cups.

From the first approach until he handed us our drinks, he gently drew us back to a more relaxed age, and artfully controlled the tempo of the entire exchange.

I have no idea what his name is, but he was one of the few who reminded me of the Citizens of the 1970's, so far as his demeanor and eagerness to engage visitors in dialogue, while drawing them back to 1880. On our next trip, I hope he's still on Main Street selling lemonade.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
KBCraig: Loved reading your description of the exchange with the lemonaid man. That is what SDC is supposed to be about!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? The Mill at breakfast Least favorite? n/a

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Pretzel stand Least favorite? I gotta go with the crowd and say Dippin' Dots

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Frozen Lemonade  Least favorite? The sour slush- like new "frozen" lemonade

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Eva and Delilah's bakery Least favorite? n/a

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? The House of BBQ and Wassail/Hot Choclate at Christmas Least favorite? n/a

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge? Dippin dots

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?  Mary's Pie Shop they way it used to be with lots of variety; Homemade Root Beer; somewhere to get a good steak!

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? yes

I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
I still think it would be a great idea to have an exclusive, upscale restaurant or club on the park for the hardcore fan/season pass holder. You know, tucked away in a quiet, green, leafy place...we've all talked about it before on other threads. That would be a great place to have a nice steak! You'd have to make a reservation for a meal as you enter the park for the day. Only so many could be served in a day. Similar to the upscale dining at Disneyland or Magic Kingdom that's occasionally been reported on in the media.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
I am glad you mentioned that Junior...I always am thinking about the exclusive area or upscale dining at SDC. I think it is a niche that needs to be filled by HFEC before they lose those guests to the Chateau or Candlestick Inn, or some other place in Branson.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »
Back in 1998, I think, the SDC Gazette talked of having a "Sunset Supper" or something like that in which you could pay an extra $18 in advance and after the park closed you'd be treated to a steak dinner with all the fixin's served at the outdoor tables at the Lumbercamp Restraunt.  Old West characters would be strolling around and visiting each table.  Then, after your meal, you'd go into the SDC Saloon for a show with the Sons of the Pioneers.  That sounded like heaven to me!  I asked a citizen up there how that all went and they said it got cancelled because one of the Pioneers got ill and they had to cancel their shows and called the whole thing off.  Still, I'd like to see something like that at the City...
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »
Yah, that would be a bit more quaint than then the large echo hollow shows, and it would provide an activity for guests after hours, and it would also provide another source of income for the park. Dinner and a show...I would take them up on it.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »
That would be  a great idea. Not sure if any of you have done it it or not but the lantern tour they do for the cave for a smaller group of people is well worth the money you have to pay for it. I have gone on the regular tour since then and the lantern tour is so much better.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
Did you know that Echo Hollow was originally built as a dinner theater in '83? For a long time, there was an understanding among Branson businesses that SDC could have the daytime activity, while the shows in town had the night time crowd. Then, early '80's rolled around and some of the theaters started having afternoon shows. SDC reacted by putting in the dinner theater at Echo Hollow. Dinner theater idea only lasted about a season or two, but that was kind of the end of the old gentleman's agreements from the 60's and 70's that was in place.