Author Topic: A Detailed Discussion: Shops (inspired by Duelist!)  (Read 7505 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
A Detailed Discussion: Shops (inspired by Duelist!)
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »
Welcome to the third week of "A Detailed Discussion"!

The current Discussion will be stickied as well as the previous, so there will always be two threads of this project at the top of the thread for people to have easy access.

INFO ON A DETAILED DISCUSSION THREADS

I thought I might try something new on here. Once a week, I'll post a new thread where we can have detailed discussion of a specific aspect of SDC where we can give compliments, air concerns, and do comparisons to SDC's sister park Dollywood. Once all the topics on my list have been exhausted, I will be going through all the threads and putting together a "Fandom Entreaty" including direct quotes and the like (as long as you give permission). Once put together, I'll post the Entreaty to the forum for everyone to read and give ideas for changes, omissions, additions, etc. Once we have a final draft, I will be sending it to SDC.

TOPIC 3: SHOPS

For the third "A Detailed Discussion," I was inspired by Duelist's thread about SDC's shops. I've decided that fest-specific Discussions will occur after that particular Fest has ended (for those left in the year), and so in the time between then, I'll have non-Fest and earlier-in-this-year-Fests topics for the Discussions.

My aim with this project is to cover every possible aspect of the park that I can possibly think of. Which is why, despite there being a thread about shops already up, I thought I'd go ahead with that topic for the sake of this particular project and to get the specific questions put out in a specific thread (and so that I don't forget to do the topic later... I really need to make a list! LOL).

To give a bit of a format to these Detailed Discussion threads, here's a list of questions to get things started:

What is your favorite craft-related shop? Least favorite?

What is your favorite park (overall) merchandise shop? Least favorite?

What is your favorite ride (specifically) merchandise shop? Least favorite?

What shops would you omit if you were in charge?

What shops would you add if you were in charge?

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?

So.... let the Detailed Discussion begin!

Joy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:18:04 PM by tinaalsgirl »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: A Detailed Discussion: Shops (inspired by Duelist!)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
I would get rid of the tattoo cart.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
I second what HB said. Though it might make money...not because the idea does not seem anything close to period correct because I know tattooing was very popular in the 19th century in England. This is mostly seen with Navy men, it is even said that in 1900, atleast 90% of Navy Seamen were tattooed. I just think it is a bit six flags, and not  quite sdc-esque.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
They could replace it with something else such as a face painting, or stamping stand. I wouldn't mind getting a Silver Dollar City stamp on my biceps.  ;)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
Ooo, I'd love to have face painting!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »
^My opinion?  They've done the face painting, too.  I'm not a fan of that either.

Sorry to hog the topic...anybody think of a shop that's missing?  I'd love to put in a real bookstore with totally relevant media and customer service that includes knowledgeable employees.  It should be on the square.

Of course the SDCFANS STORE would be awesome - not just gear, just a place for Rube and others to present art, SDC-related framed photos, and other products.  All merch would have to be juried, of course.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

littlefriend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
What is your favorite craft-related shop? Pottery and Candy!!    Least favorite? The coin jewelry

What is your favorite park (overall) merchandise shop? Toy   Least favorite?  The sea shell one down in the river area

What is your favorite ride (specifically) merchandise shop?   Not sure if it is a ride shop, but the one across from the Saloon Show?? Least favorite?  The riverboat one.

What shops would you omit if you were in charge? yea, tattoo one is kind of out of place

What shops would you add if you were in charge?  a pie shop!!!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
I thought I better answer since I inspired this
Discussion  :D  Actually I let my wife answer most of them since she goes in more shops than I do.

What is your favorite craft-related shop? Candle Shop  Least favorite? Furniture store

What is your favorite park (overall) merchandise shop?  Becca's Weaving Least favorite? White River Mercantile (since they changed it to mostly clothes)

What is your favorite ride (specifically) merchandise shop? Doc Harris Warehouse (we like the science stuff but they've started to cut back on that)  Least favorite?  The River Blast shop

What shops would you omit if you were in charge? White River Mercantile the way it is now

What shops would you add if you were in charge?  Bring back the basket shop, cross stitch shop, quilting shop, the book shop, a "character costume" shop for guests, and the Land of Forgotten Crafts
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:37 PM »
As popular as FITH is, I would think a little merchandise shop catered toward it might do pretty well.  They were pretty smart when they built Wildfire, seeing that everyone that rode had to exit thru their souvenir shop.  A picture of everyone on the last drop about half way down of FITH might sell pretty well also!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:38:44 AM »
*mark* to reply later

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
What is your favorite craft-related shop? Least favorite?

Pottery is my favorite, because they actually have potters there to do the work, followed by the basket shop.  All of the little jewelry places is my least favorite.

What is your favorite park (overall) merchandise shop? Least favorite?

Favorite:I don't know the name of it but is down by the PK area, kind of a wilderness, trapper theme.

Least favorite: the one by the exit that has all of the pet related stuff.

The frustrating part is all of the "made in China" merchandise in most all shops.  There are lots of shops that I never enter, they seem so uninteresting and simply do not offer anything more than what you can find at the big box stores.

What is your favorite ride (specifically) merchandise shop? Least favorite?

Don't have one either way.

What shops would you omit if you were in charge? The ones I can't remember, they obviously made no impression, not that other's may love every one of them. 

What shops would you add if you were in charge?

I would love to see some of the crafts people from the festival be there year around or maybe even a co-op type area that featured crafts that could be rotated in and out.  Silversmiths, all kinds of visual artist that would be period correct or at least have a clue about the history of the 1800's

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?

Sure.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
What is your favorite craft-related shop? Least favorite?  Candy Factory (naturally!) and my least favorite would be the jerky hut (although I think all the crafts have merit)

What is your favorite park (overall) merchandise shop? Least favorite?  General Store is my favorite and my least favorite would be the....(how should I call it) Junkier Merch section by the snack bar in the Hospitality House.

What is your favorite ride (specifically) merchandise shop? Least favorite?  The options aren't too vast here, and I don't want to say PK or Wildfire just because, so not sure.   I would say my least favorite is FITH because there isn't one!

What shops would you omit if you were in charge?  High end specialty shops like the art gallery (used to be the Western store).  No one I see is ever buying stuff in there and they took out some really great "well traveled" shops in the past for them.

What shops would you add if you were in charge?  Bookstore!!!!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:43:42 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
I like the jerky hut, and I like bison and venison and the ostrich jerky was good but buying kangaroo jerky is where I draw the line. I just can't imagine eating a big cuddly kangaroo!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
Favorite craft shop--Carrie's Candles

Favorite merchandise--Christmas Hollow

Ride shop--Wildfire (they often have clearance clothing)

Omit?  hmm, I don't like basketballs, not a shop, per se

Add--pie does sound good  ;)  I'd like a bookstore again, too

I didn't do least favorite--brain too tired

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
Kangaroos can, and have been known to kill men....besides, they are sooooo good!