Author Topic: SDC Food Prices Rise, While Quality Diminishes  (Read 12042 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC Food Prices Rise, While Quality Diminishes
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
During my recent visit to SDC, I stopped by what was once one of my favorite places to eat in the entire world. I got my traditional favorite dish of a pulled pork brisket sandwich, with fries and a small drink all for a whopping $9.50 thanks to the season pass discount. I usually don't mind the high price so much, because the food is usually very good - this time, however, it tasted like a cheap church dinner. Seriously, the fries were good but the meat reminded me of a high school cafeteria dish.

I'm not saying all the food around the park was this bad, but it certainly seemed like a little less was put into everything. Maybe it was the fact that the place was so crowded that particular weekend, but it had never been like this before.

What's with the high prices though? I understand that they have more expenses with their restaurants than your average fast food joint, but $10 for a fairly small meal is pretty bad. I could get a better meal at Rib Crib for $7.

I'm not the only one who's complained about this either, but luckily SDC takes this kind of thing pretty seriously, so I'm sure things will shape back up again soon. I will say that even in its low point, the food at SDC is astounding better than what you could get at any other park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Food Prices Rise, While Quality Diminishes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
The food is pretty expensive but it still tasted fine to me. And don't knock down the Rib Crib. That place is pretty good.... I'm just kiddin ya.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:21:16 PM »
I'm wondering if the rise in food prices has any connection to the rise in gas prices? I mean, if it's costing more for gas, then it must be costing more to ship food...

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:51:14 PM »
^I'm sure it affects quite a few areas of the park, especially when you think about all the different places they're shipping things to and from, and how it has to travel around once it gets to the park before it can even go to a specific eatery. Like I said, they have more expenses than the typical food service joint, but their seemingly excessive entrance prices should cover some of this.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
Are the gate prices excessively expensive?  When compared to Disney and most Orlando parks, signs point to no.

The food tasted fine to me last time I was there.  I'm eating at Reunion Hall on Saturday and I'll let you know how the food was when I get back.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
Silver Dollar City is cheaper than Disney because--lets face the facts-- Disney has so much more to do than SDC does.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
I have never thought the food at SDC was over priced.  The cost of the kids meals here are the same as a happy meal at McDonalds.  At Christmas time they had the Buffets that were 13.99.  At first I Thought that was high but then found out it included the free drinks as well, and as many refills as I needed.  Most parks charge $5 for a drink and there are no refills.

Aunt Polly's Menu   

Kid's Meals (for children 11 and under) 
  Corn Dog $2.99
  Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich $2.99
  Peanut Butter, Banana & Fresh Strawberry Sandwich $3.59 
  Chicken Bites $3.59
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:55:00 AM by oklaSDCfan »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
I agree.  I've never thought they were very overpriced considering they have such a captive audience.  And they'll give you all the water you need for free (though you have to pay for bottled).

(Just don't fall for the pizza buffet thing when it's offered.  They should pay us.)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

BelmontATO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »
I've never even heard of the pizza buffet. I will be sure to avoid that one. I think the food at World Fest is the best. And for a real value on the food, get the 1/2 sandwich at Big Jake's. Tasty and huge!!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
The pizza buffet is in the Mill Restaurant during Kidsfest.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
By all means, the Family Feud skillet is my favorite in the park.  It's always good, and it's always been good.  I always want to tell the people in line in front of me that it's so much better than the Harvest skillet.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »
I agree that the quality of food has taken a nose dive.  My daughter and I spent several days in the park last summer and she noted, as well, that portions were smaller and not really hot.  My husband and I made a separate trip and that was the first thing he commented on.   We both had fish dinners and won't do it again.  I just can't bring myself to complain about the skillet dinners though.  Good or bad, I have to have one every time I'm there.  Do you remember the good old days when the Dine In The Mine restaurant would seat you and then bring over a plate with pickles and a large wedge of cheese?  Meals were served "family style" and desserts were brought around on a tray?  Ah, one of my fondest memories!

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »
^I do remember Dine In the Mine!  That was really good food!

We always eat at the Lumbercamp, and I haven't noticed a drop in the quality at all.  We also took advantage of the Bluegrass & BBQ Fest last year, and the food was really good.  Prices aren't too bad IMO, even without the season pass discount.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
Does anyone know if the Mine Restaurant still has the "special" table?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »
^As of last year it did, but it hardly ever runs anymore. I can see a lot of people getting ticked off about it nowadays.