Author Topic: Do you think Geyser Gulch should be removed?  (Read 15418 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Do you think Geyser Gulch should be removed?
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Now that DW is taking out the Dreamland Forest treehouses, do you think that SDC should take out Geyser Gulch? DW is simply getting some smaller playgrounds like a pig pen water play area, and a Bi-Plane play area to go with the Swing. I imagine it would be located next to the entrance of Mountain SLidewinder. So what do you think?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Do you think Geyser Gulch should be removed?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »
My take is that it probably will not go anywhere; immediately at least. Geyser Gulch is basically the last large scale play area in the park. Sure they could always replace it, but I just don’t foresee that happening in the near future.

I personally do not have any children yet, so whether Geyer Gulch stays, or goes really has no impact on me. However, as much as Silver Dollar City, and Dollywood are similar, they always seem to take two different paths to get to the same destination. Just because Dollywood does something, doesn’t always mean that Silver Dollar City will follow.

In my opinion only, Geyser Gulch works for what it is, and I have no overwhelming complaints about it.  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:56:42 PM by Ozark BBQ »

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
It sure seems there are always a lot of kids at GG.  They really seem to enjoy it a lot and talk about a place to burn off a lot of energy.  It's also a pretty good babysitter when your watching a show at the boatworks theatre.  It also seems very structurally sound with not a lot of upkeep.  Throw in a few gallons of paint every year, buy some foam balls for the guns and its ready to go.  I know there would be more upkeep than that but it should be minimal.  I would hate to see it go but if something could go in that was more fun for everyone and the space was needed, then removing it could be a possibility.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:51:57 PM by Pintrader »

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
However, as much as Silver Dollar City, and Dollywood are similar, they always seem to take two different paths to get to the same destination. Just because Dollywood does something, doesn’t always mean that Silver Dollar City will follow.

Amen! I highly doubt Geyser Gulch will be effected because the Dreamland Forest treehouses were removed from Dollywood. Kids love to play on Geyser Gulch and it's always done really well. On a different note, with the new attraction coming anything could happen.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:37:42 PM by maddilives4him »
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
The circumstances between the two parks are different in this case. GG is much larger and plays a more central role in kid's entertainment at SDC than DF did at DW. (Side Note: The acronyms are getting out of control around here  ;))

While the removal of DF creates a precedent that GG may be removed in the next decade, I'd say it's safe for now. With the loss of the Landing, it will remain a pretty important asset in the park's line up until they can build more attractions aimed at youngin's. It does need TLC though. The changes that have been made since it was built have only taken away from it, such as the loss of the slide. A new paint scheme would be good too.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
As I mentioned in my trip report and other threads this last week, when I visited the park Aug. 15, things really looked good...well, except for GG! It was terribly in need of a paint job. Here is is the end of August, and I guess having those structures over the lake and being wet all the time from the water from the lake and the kids squirt guns take their toll on it. I'm sorry to say this, but it was the only place on the park that looked shabby and run down. However, the question really was should it be removed. Well, I hope not. It is the last big play area for kids, and unless they come up with something else, I think they should keep it. My daughter loved the place when she was a kid, I'm glad she could experience it as she did (1990's). We have not had a chance to get the grandkids to SDC, although some of them did get to go to CC, and really did enjoy that.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
Keep GG!! I've never been so wet in my entire Life. Except when ya go tubin' down  a river or somethin'. I love it when kids attack a adult with water guns. :D 
Live life like it's the last day!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
It was terribly in need of a paint job. Here is is the end of August, and I guess having those structures over the lake and being wet all the time from the water from the lake and the kids squirt guns take their toll on it.
I was there today 8/22/10 and the structure itself is in real need of some cosmetic TLC.
I was sitting on a bench directly to the side looking at the kids thinking the beams on the thing are rusting.
Ans this is in the dry area.
Its great for the kids but they really need to do something about the color and the paint.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
A new paint scheme would be good too.

I agree! I have never been a fan of the pastel pink, and blue, and other colors they used on Geyser Gulch. In addition to fresh paint, I think it deserves a fresh new paint scheme. After that, it will be good to go for another decade, or so.  :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
TLC once a year for the last 30 years (for part of that structure) just hasn't been enough for the wear and tear GG takes each year.  The pastels have never fit at SDC.

Half Dollar Holler may have a hand in replacing the needs that are currently satisfied by GG (if HDH ever becomes a reality).  And with the new squirt guns at the RB, there may less need for the SGs at GG.  KWIM?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I was never a fan of the "Ripley's" type of crumbling architecture that the area has.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
Is it always necessary to tear something down to build something new?  Anyone that thnks RB takes the place of GG has obviously never spent time watching the kids have the time fo their lives playing at GG.  What fun...lets wait in line for 15-20 minutes for a five minute ride and walk off with your arm feeling like it wants to fall off....loads of fun.  Just spent the last 3 days are SDC with my 9 and 12 year old nephews and RB was a "been there, done that" kinda ride for them.  Lost River, American Plunge, and Gyser Gluch...couldn't get enough.

Was there pretty much the entire day on Saturday and RB was down twice and once on Sunday when we WALKED by.  In my opinion this ride definitely was not worth the wait and expense.

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
GG does seem to have a magical effect on kids.  They seem to look at it like a giant tree house without the tree.  I have seen kids playing for a long time just running through the little squirt of water that comes up from the ground.  It's strange how something so simple as that can keep them so interested.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
RB was a "been there, done that" kinda ride for them.

My 6-year-old has outgrown GG after shooting at the same waterworn targets, but she loves RB (much to my chagrin; at least we could get in and out of GG pretty quickly).  She likes being able to shoot at other people.  The part of GG she liked was the fountains (when she was smaller), but the same thing could be incorporated into a new, better-themed area.  I'm sorry, but I want a new skyline on that side of the lake - something that will look great in photos.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
I have to say as a father of a two year old that is his favorite place to fun around at. He is able to do all the stuff that GG has. I honestly think he would stay over there all day long if he could. Dad likes to see some of the other parts of the park also. I do believ that does need a little touch up here and there and with so many working parts I understand that it is probably hard to keep up with it with so many kids in there all day and every day. Alright with that being said I think it should be kept.