Author Topic: First Rap Show In Branson Featuring Nelly  (Read 10886 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: First Rap Show In Branson Featuring Nelly
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
Wow, what is this world coming to? :o

It amazes me how many people will break the law, and cause mischief just because the don’t like something. I am not a fan of Nelly. However, as long as he is not hurting anyone, and he is bringing joy, and entertainment to others, then I say let him have his concert.

Why some people insist on acting like juveniles when they don’t get their way is beyond me. It’s not like he was setting up a permanent theater in Branson. He stopped in to do a show, and then left out. Like I said, I am not a Nelly fan at all, but sometimes common sense should outweigh stupidity.

If you do not want to see a Nelly concert then simply don’t go. Ticket revenue is a critical factor in deciding where to have a concert at. Obviously some people in the Branson region enjoy his style of music. I wish people would stop trying to change the world to fit their own agenda.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:16:21 AM by Ozark BBQ »

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
No one is saying that he doesn't have a right to have a show in Branson.  What is being said (and I agree) is that Nelly is NOT a family-oriented act, and therefore his show is not well-suited to such a family-friendly town as Branson.  It's sort of like the arguments for/against the mosque near the 9/11 site in New York.  Sure, they have a right to build it, but SHOULD they build it?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »
Would you see it as a decision that would be made by the theater owner, or the city council?

Is there a theater council in Branson that approves shows, guests etc?
To answer my own question, I see it as the discretion of the theater owner...If they would want to put their venue on the line, or their $$ for PR etc. I think they can choose whomever they want-EVEN IF the act is not the most p/c or minstream crowd pleasing show. I am not saying bring in the unwholesome acts, and change the image of Branson from tour busses and families to saddam and gommorrah, but I think if they want to bring them in on their money, who is to stop them with what is in place at this time?

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »
Sure, it's the theater's decision, but if they go too far I'm sure the city could get involved in some way.  I'm just surprised that the theater would even want to risk having such an act there.  It's nothing but bad PR with Branson's usual clientele.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
Let's not get too carried away here. I don't enjoy his music, but we are talking about an entertainment show. That is all. Nelly did not bring any additional riffraff to the Branson area. He was simply putting on a concert for those who enjoy his music.

The truly great thing about Branson is the abundance in variety. There is truly something for everyone. However, that does not mean that everything must be catered to everyone. If you don't like his music, then don't go to his concert. That doesn't mean we should ban him from Branson. Let's be realistic here. Besides, the ticket revenue speaks for itself. If no one wanted to see him in Branson, then no one would have purchased the tickets, and he would have never come.

I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't understand the "I don't like it so I am going to force everyone else not to like it" mentality.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
I agree Ozark. So atleast if we are in the minority...we will have good company there right?

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
As I said, I'm not for BANNING him from Branson (unless his concerts caused riots or something).  I'm just saying that it's a shame to have the family-friendly nature of the area impugned by his offensive act.  Hopefully it won't start a trend of risque entertainment in the area.  The only good thing is that it was a one-time event, not a show that is around all year.  For example, we wouldn't want a strip club in Branson, would we?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:18 PM »
STRIP CLUB? STRIP CLUB?  I thought that's what those hotel bars were! You know, drinking/dancing clubs on the Hwy. 76 "STRIP!"  ;)  Around my area of NW Arkansas, there are several places like convenience stores that have gaming machines in them...you play for prizes. (But when the cops ain't around they sometimes pay you your prize in cash!)  There are even adult oriented gaming machine arcades in the area. One I pass by from time to time is even called "Flaming Sevens," which is the name of a popular slot machine. They apparently are chock full of those game machines that you win prizes with. It's as close to a slot machine as you can get and still be legal. Any of those types of machines in places around Branson?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
sorry guys-----  Rap? in branson??   Just say no... i see other posting about the problems gambling would bring into the area..  what kind of crowd do u think would follow the rap style performers?  Nope, can,t see it happening.....

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
It has been over a month now since Nelly graced Branson with his "rap" music. I'm sorry, but I cannot see how his one time show has really brought that much of a bad "crowd" to the area. Let's face it, at this point there is no rapper who has any public intentions of making Branson a permanent home. I really don't think we have to panic over having to say “no” to anybody anytime soon.  ;)

Branson has always been an open door for all types of musical styles, and talent. Just because we don't all listen to that genre of music, is no reason to say "no" to them. Sure, it's easy to knee jerk a stereotypical reaction to rap musicians, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves just bit. :)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »
Here's the "crowd" Nelly and rap brought to Branson: every middle and upper middle class white kid within 150 miles who watches BET and MTV and wears his Lidz sideways.

They spent their parents' money and went home.

The problem is... ?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
And the thing is, tons of people who like singers like Nelly already come to Branson. I mean, I myself am a fan of artists like Eminem and Snoop Dogg...

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
its kinda a double edged sword. On one hand rap isnt the first thought n my head when I think branson and I dont want that to happen either but on the other hand if it brings cash money to Branson and helps keep it alive then by all means have your little hoopla and vamoose!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »
Nashville and Las Vegas style acts aren't my first thoughts when it comes to Branson, either. I considered those non-local shows to be a corruption of all that was pure. Everybody knows "Authentic Branson" is supposed to be SDC, SOTH, the Presleys and the Baldknobbers and paddleboats on Taneycomo.

Anything more modern than that is an aberration!  ::) ::) ::)

Seriously, "Branson" is lodging and dining and shopping. So long as we keep SDC and SOTH reasonably in the 1880-1920 time frame, whatever goes on outside those parks is just fine with me.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
Again, we are talking about a one time visiting show here. Not a permanent act! ;)

Don't panic! It will be okay. :)