Author Topic: SDCSouvenirs.com  (Read 4222 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
SDCSouvenirs.com
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
With all of the wacky modern music during Moonlight Madness, it appears like Silver Dollar City is trying to “get with the times.” However, one thing that they are sorely missing is an online souvenir shop.

I am a self proclaimed gear geek. I like to be decked out, and  ready to go before I even board the tram in the parking lot. I wish Silver Dollar City had an online website that sold some of their souvenir merchandise such as t-shirts, coffee mugs, key chains, pins, hats, stickers, and so on.

That way, when I arrive at Silver Dollar City, I can focus less time in the generic souvenir shops, and more time seeing the shows, riding the rides, and purchasing artwork from the actual craftsmen inside the park.

Surely it wouldn’t require more than a handful of people to run an online store such as this. Plus, it would result in more revenue for Silver Dollar City.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you feel it would be a good idea, or would you prefer to keep the souvenirs off the internet? :)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDCSouvenirs.com
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
Hmmm... That actually sounds kinda cool.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
I'm OK with it. I'd like to see limited edition or Internet special items, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
Sounds good to me.
Live life like it's the last day!

pintrader

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »
No, I don't think an online souvenir shop is a good idea, it's a great idea.  It would have to add a lot of revenue to the city. What about the family that is visiting from out of state and this is their only trip to the city this year.  They realize they have spent a little too much money on their trip and pass on a lot of things they wanted to buy.  Maybe a month or so down the road they could go online and pick up what they missed.  It seems like a no lose situation for SDC and their visitors.  Maybe SDC feels this would cut attendance, because if you could pick it up online you would not have to come to the park and pay admission.  It is possible it could affect attendance slightly but the online revenue would more than make up for that.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
I don’t believe attendance would be affected. In fact I think it would help promote attendance since I could buy shirts, and caps, and other apparel all year long, and promote free advertisement for Silver Dollar City.

Someone might ask, "Wow, where did you get that cool t-shirt?" I would respond with "SDCSouvenirs.com, or SDCGear.com, (or, whatever the website might be called :P)."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:09:23 PM by Ozark BBQ »

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:58 PM »
I agree 100%!  I don't see a reasonable or logical explanation why they don't do this.  I think everyone is losing on this.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:26 PM »
I'm all for it.  I could get some Christmas shopping done without having to lug the packages on the tram back to the car.  Some are going to strongly disagree with me, but on a side note, I really wish they would put some webcams up around the park.  I know webcams are not 1880ish but there are some times during the day I would really like to pop on the website and see what is happening at the City.  I can just envision looking down the hill towards the Saloon, gazing at the square, or maybe even put one on the train so I could take a ride whenever I wanted.  Just something to allow me a glimpse of what is going on in the park.  People at SDC wouldn't even notice the cameras are there so it wouldn't take away from the theme.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
Actually at one point about  two years a go they did have a site on their web site that you could buys things and have them shipped. I think the problem was that it did not do to well since most people I think just assume go there to actually buy it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
Actually at one point about  two years a go they did have a site on their web site that you could buys things and have them shipped. I think the problem was that it did not do to well since most people I think just assume go there to actually buy it.

I do remember years ago when the Silver Dollar City website had remnants of an online shop, but it never seemed to be working by the time that I discovered it. Then they redesigned their website, and it was completely removed.

I think it's failure wasn't so much that people would rather "go there [to the park] to actually buy it." I think the original online shop just did not have the needed functionality, and there wasn’t enough variety, and volume of merchandise required to support it.

However, with online shops such as eBay, Amazon, and the thousands of other niche online stores, I think the market is definitely there now in 2010.  :)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »

However, with online shops such as eBay, Amazon, and the thousands of other niche online stores, I think the market is definitely there now in 2010.  :)
[/quote]

I agree!  There have been many times that I wish I could buy things from the park when I couldn't actually go.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:13:41 PM »
So what would be a good webiste address for this online store?

SDCSouvenirs.com?
SDCGear.com?
SDCHospitalityHouse.com?

Or what? :)