Author Topic: Pin Trading Event !!!  (Read 4200 times)

tomncyndi

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Pin Trading Event !!!
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here collected the pins at SDC ? I have not heard any talk on the pin trading event here on the fan site i was wondering if anyone even knows about this and was going to attend the Pin trading event on Aug 21st ?

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Pin Trading Event !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
I've heard of it before but never caught it. I did see a bunch of the pins in the hospitality house once, almost bought some.
Live life like it's the last day!

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
I admit that when the pins came out I kinda got into them I probably have 50 or so pins but kinda lost interest in it. Started to realize that it was just another way to make some extra money especially for the amount that they want fo the pins. That and anything I buy at the park I try to stay with the stuff that is made there or made in the US at least.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

I have 2.
They jumped on the Disney Wagon with that idea.  I agree they are very expensive to collect.
100.00 worht would fit in the palm of your hand.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
You got me beat, I have one. Thats really saying something for you to beat me! With all 600+ SDC stuff I have only one is a pin!

http://bransonsilverdollarcity.com/specialty-shops/pin-trading/default.aspx?id=386

pintrader

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
The pins are kind of expensive running around $7 each and it is true they are made in China.  But they seem to hold their value very well and I would even say some pins have increased in value.  Some citizens of SDC have what they call employee pins and you can only get these buy trading with them.  This is a good way of getting to talk to the citizens and getting to know them.  Once a year SDC has a pin trading event for all of their pin traders and usually have guest speakers.  Last year Peter Hershend and Uncle Gene spoke to us which was quite an honor.  It's not every day you get to hear a story of the park from the owner himself, plus shake his hand and get an autograph.
                (Anybody got some pins for sale :))

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
I will have to admit that would be pretty cool. Also the pins I had I managed to trade for a lot of the employee pins the first year they started doing it and the the ones I bought usually had something to do with SDC back when.
(Are you looking to buy some)

pintrader

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
Sure would jmc75!  I would always be interested in purchasing SDC pins.  Sounds like you got a pretty good collection.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Hospitality House had a large selection of pins on sale today. (Sun 8/15/10) It was good to see displays of the old, retired pins there as well.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »
My children got into pin collecting in 2007 when we went to Disneyworld.  You can drop some money in a hurry as you keep finding pins you feel you have to have.  I think they have pins from all the parks we've attended in the past few years...Holiday World, Kings Island, SDC, Celebration City, Dollywood and all the Disney parks in Florida.

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
The annual Pin trading event was held last Sat Aug. 21 and was held in the Culinary & Craft School.  Everyone had to be at the gates at 8:30 a.m. for check in, which was an hour & half before park opening.  We all received name tags and were on our way.  It's strange to see modern vehicles like golf carts and trucks running around SDC.  One guy had his window rolled down on his truck and we asked him if he was lost.  He laughed and said "No, I'm in Silver Dollar City" (I actually think he took a wrong turn at Albuquerque).  When we arrived we received a free pin trading event pin and a number for door prizes which were announced later.  There were probably around 20 door prizes given out which ranged from $5 to $100.  These prizes were for the different shops in the city (didn't win any  :'().  We also received a free continental breakfast, which was very good.  They didn't have any guest speakers this year which was disappointing.  It's always a great experience to hear a story from the citizens or management.  I think the worst thing this year was that it was so crowded.  I mean your talking around 120 people packed in the Culinary & Craft School.  But all in all another great day at SDC. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:01:14 PM by Pintrader »