Author Topic: Midnight Madness park music  (Read 24639 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Midnight Madness park music
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
I may be older, but I have two young children!  I am raising the next generation, and I am teaching still others (many each year) to filter information, to discern things that fit and do not fit, to stick to a theme in their reading and writing, to understand right from wrong.  As I say, I may be getting older, but my influence in the modern world is significant.  Amen to all who have posted here, and might I add, if the Star Trek Experience can make its way to Dollywood, and if Sponge Bob can become a feature at SDC, I fear TPTB are not listening as closely as we would like.  While I do my part to plug SDC during other times, I will not promote or support SDC during these weird times of disco and gaga.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
Yep, the summer heat and kids make people do crazy things.

(no offense to kids per-se...just Kids Fest)
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Like I siad they should play Dolly Parton!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
The biggest thing for me as a kid in the early 89's was to be deputized by the sheriff, I didn't go there to meet Inspector Gadget, or He Man I went there for the 1880's experience. I guess they feel they will lose business to Looney Tunes, and Disney if they don't have their own Costumed characters.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
Is the music really..truly...harming the park?  It's played how long each night and over how many nights?  I seriously doubt they have any plans on making this a permanent thing.  Moving right along now.....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
^DECLINE BY DEGREES. 

That's all it is.
and FTR it is played all day in the PowderKeg station
SWOOSH

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
Is the music really..truly...harming the park?  It's played how long each night and over how many nights?  I seriously doubt they have any plans on making this a permanent thing.  Moving right along now.....

Yep.  If the targeted demographic doesn't care if you do it or not, and the other half of the patrons don't like it, you certainly could be harming the park.  To quote a contemporary Christian song...."It's a sloooow fade".  Thank you, Thank you very much.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"  Seriously though it does take away from the very thing that brings people to the park. I love the idea behind MM, but don't care for the "relaxed" theming.  It just doesn't feel right.  It's seems sort of like turning on the lights in Fire in the Hole.  Those dips might seem comically small, and the next thing you know ....well it's hard to get the magic back.  The younger crowd isn't going to SDC at MM to score a Lady Gaga speaker rock concert.  They are going because it is a different experience to attend the park at night.   

There were a lot of social events in 1880's that went on after dark.  It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate any of this into MM.

Speaking of Theme; Sponge Bob has about as much business hanging around SDC as the boat parked at the front gate during one of our visits. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting more and more displeased with the treatment of music at Powderkeg.

Unfortunately, some of us don't always get the surveys. I've not received one for several, several months. I'm working on writing a letter to send through their feedback form. I've always received personally-typed replies when I've sent through that before.

I'm gonna be at SDC all day Sunday. Anyone else who's gonna be there should look for me!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Silver Dollar City breaking theme on music? No way, impossible. Everyone knows that in the 1880's, "It's Raining Men" was played at all the local Saloon Bars, and Lady Gaga was played at all of the evening shin-digs.  :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »
I like 80s music, but i'd rather hear bluegrass any day or night at SDC.
Live life like it's the last day!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
Is the music really..truly...harming the park?

Yes.

Silver Dollar City breaking theme on music? No way, impossible. Everyone knows that in the 1880's, "It's Raining Men" was played at all the local Saloon Bars, and Lady Gaga was played at all of the evening shin-digs.  :)

As much as I hate the It's Raining Men gag (and don't think it belongs), at least it is adapted to the musical genre of the saloon set.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
I guess the real answer is in the attendance during these few times that they "break" themeing.  Maybe the aim of those who are trying new things to draw a younger crowd...families with small children, etc. is to insure the ultimate survival of the park.  We must ask ourselves if we are willing to accept some changes to insure that the park survives the changes we are seeing in the industry.  Do we want things to stay the same and hope that there are enough of us around to keep the park going, or do we want the park to evolve and appeal to a whole new generation while trying to stay as close to its roots as possible?  My young nephews only want to go to parks for the latest and the greatest rides....they enjoy Kids Fest because it involves activities they can relate to...and they enjoy (to my horror) the music they play during MM.  I appreciate that all these things keep them wanting to go, because it does expose them to what the park is truly about.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »
I'm at the park right now, and the Saloon show was different from the show that's gone on the last few years. This was my first time seeing it this year.

Fabian & ...can't remember her name, are now already a part of the Saloon instead of just coming in. The songs were all different and all musicals-originated. There was no Raining Men.

As much as I laugh at the gag of Miss Tilly in a Viking helmet, I didn't miss nor not miss the number.

The show seemed a tad shorter, or that may be because it was well-paced and much tighter than it has been in previous years.

Powderkeg put me in a bad mood (I Will Survive, YMCA, etc BLARING on the station speakers during non-MM hours REALLY irks me), so between finally getting to hear the Riverblast theme (I love it!) and a great new(ish) show at the Saloon, my mood has improved.

Of course, I think the cinnamon bread from Sullivan's Mill helped, too. LOL

So far the only modern music I've heard today was at Powderkeg. FITH, Riverblast, American Plunge, etc were all playing themes interspersed with good bluegrass.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »

I was in line at PowderKeg very early in the season and they were playing bluegrass all the while openly making comments about burning the MP3 they WOULD be playing the rest of the year.
The management must know they are breaking the theme and for what ever reason they are allowing it.
Is this because its the " Big" roller coaster right now? the one the kids like to ride?
 I will comment if given a survey this year.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »
Has there ever been an official explanation for the contemporary music during MM?  And why are they allowing contemporary music to be played during regular hours at PK? 

I live 1 hr from SixFlags (STL) and 5 hours from SDC.  I would give just about anything for it to be the other way around, and so would my kids (ages 3-14) for that matter! Six Flags (STL) has more rides but the atmosphere is blech. What makes SDC special IMHO is its spirit and that spirit is altered when The Village People and Lady GaGa are coming through the loudspeakers!