Author Topic: Why do I keep reading that the coasters are closed?  (Read 4627 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Why do I keep reading that the coasters are closed?
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
I am seeing in the trip reports that FITH and Powder Keg seem to be closing alot.
We havent been having bad weather.
Anyone have any ideas?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Why do I keep reading that the coasters are closed?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
PK has always been more finicky having to deal with laser sensors, a compressed air launch, a moving section of track, sensitive restraints, and a lift hill with a hard mid-course break. That's a lot to deal with.

As for FITH, I haven't heard about it being closed down too much. It was closed one morning when I was there last weekend, but it might just have been going through morning testing still, as it was open later that day. Has it been broken down much for anyone else?

TNT and Wildfire still seem to chug away reliably. Has Wildfire ever actually broken down?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
I understand Powderkeg must be a "sensitive" ride to maintain. If I'm not wrong, it is similar to a rollercoaster that Six Flags St. Louis had in place several years ago...it might still be there...I think it was called "Batman the Ride" or something like that. I visited the park last about '96, and the coaster was closed, but the work crew kept running the ride, testing it over and over. It seems like the coaster I'm thinking about was actually closed for an entire season while they tested it...I think they opened it a year later, maybe with a different name after some changes were made. Some of you St. Louis area folks might remember more about this than I do. But, anyway, when I first saw Powderkeg in action a few years ago I was put in mind of the coaster at Six Flags...I think it took off with a compressed air blast, ran the track, and then went pretty high up to where the track dead ended way up in the air...then the coaster went back to the station backwards on the track.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
Batman is the seated/suspended roller coaster opened in 95', it is still in existance, and has had few problems in the 15 yrs since it has opened.

The ride you are thinking of is Mr Freeze that finally opened in 98'. It was originally intended to open for the 1997 season, but problems with the LIM Launch system forced a delayed opening until 1998.

SF StL has had its own problems with Superman Tower of Power on a daily basis. Not like the problems the noteworthy ride a few years back had, but in the past 4 years I have been therre on our trips on nice days, it has been down, or is not running for atleast part of the day.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
All coasters were running fine during my three visits to the park last week.  Although Powderkeg did open 15 minutes late last Wednesday morning.  It was nice during MM when they ran three trains on Powderkeg.  It really kept the line moving.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Could the heat be causing some of this?
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »
YEAH! Mr. Freeze...thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
I love the first 1/2 of Mr Freeze...the second half....well it can feel a bit rough at times! When it was opened there were larger head restraints, and everyone had to remove all earrings before riding (many said because of the magnets, but I believe it was because the head thrashing and bouncing against the restraints could get a little ugly if they were not removed.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »
Thanks for that info on Mr. Freeze...you are right about the year...it was 1997 that I was last at Six Flags St. Louis.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »
The only ride more rough than that one is The Boss...Gosh my head hurts thinking about it!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
I agree The Boss is rough. However, I think The Voyage at Holiday World is even rougher.  When I was on the Voyage in June I was just hoping I would be able to walk when I exited the ride.  That's what I love about Powderkeg and Wildfire, the smoothness of the ride.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »
I have been to SDC a lot this year and have never found a ride closed this season.  I think they are doing a better job than years past with rides not being open.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
One of the funniest things about a ride breaking that I saw was a couple of years ago at SFSTL. I was in line for the Boss and watching Mr. Freeze's train go out. After it had completed it's run to the top, it was coming back and got to the small hill and curve when the power apparently went out on it. The train stopped at the top of the small hill and started backwards, caught in a small dip between two hills. The train continue to roll back and forth between these two hills like a clock pendgemen for about 15 minutes. The people on board had to be removed with a scissors lift after the train had stopped.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
That sounds vomit inducing! I was once stuck on Ninja, but it was after the ride, before we pulled into the station, unfortunately the other train running at the time didn't have the same fortune. The were stuck after the first of two successive loops....