Author Topic: Huck Finn's Tree Fort  (Read 54029 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Huck Finn's Tree Fort
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
WOW! This series of photos truly knocks me out. NEVER have I heard or seen of this slide exit to the treehouse. My personal association with the attraction goes back to 1970. That means the slide would have been in effect only from when the treehouse opened in 1968, and in the 1969 season. I'd love to see more shots of this slide, and any shots of Grandfather's Mansion when it was "Slantin' Sams." Thanks Rube, for these photos!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
Yeah it took a bit of investigating, but I found the photos, and it all fit together. It was indeed to the left of the earlier posted photo. In fact in this photo, you can see the slide stairs.

SEE!!!! THEY ARE THE SAME!

UP NEXT...Slantin' Sam's
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:47:12 PM by rubedugans »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
those are great pictures! I was really excited to see those! Good find and post and I cant wait to see more photos from you!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »
Unbelievable! :o

This is the number one reason why I am such a huge fan of the knowledgeable folks on this site. That slide is very cool, even for today's standards. I had no idea the tree house ever had a slide on it. They say you get an extra wrinkle on your brain every time you learn something new. Thanks for another wrinkle! ;D

pintrader

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Rube!  It brings back a lot of great memories.  I guess it's been 40+ years since I have laid my eyes on that slide and my elbows hope it will be at least another 40.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:39 AM »
In my notes I had it as Injun Joe's Cave. The area that led you to the cave portion/ light room. This would have been after the 1984 addition of Tom Sawyer's Landing, and the Name change from Herman the Hermit's Zany Tree Top House  to Huck Finn's Hideaway to keep in theme with the Mark Twain characters. I know Disney had a cave, and six flags had a cave... and you did pass through a "cave" in the treehouse exit. I am going to look for proof though on this one, just like the slide/ exit. I remember it, but that is not to say it is true...(I do think it is true because until 1994, I had not been to either Six Flags StL or any Disney parks, only SDC).Until then....

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
Amazing pics, i dont remember it being that big!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
Found this on an old thread...
Posted by: Old Guy 
Insert Quote
The slide was the exit to Herman the Hermit's Tree Top House. It was replaced by the Infinity Room when the theme was changed to H.H. tree top still. That was supposed to be the effect from the stills fumes.It was abandoned after a structural collapse onto the train tracks one night while the park was closed. The theme then changed to the tree top root beer factory complete with a SDC childrens book about a young Zeak Hatfield catching a goast with taffy as bait in A cage at the base of the tree. It turned out to be a racoon. All of this was then removed and changed to huck finns hideaway.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »
Wow, very interesting tidbit there Rube!

Okay, so I am trying figure out the math here, but how many variations, and transformations has the loveable tree house gone through?  :D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Ozark,  go one further ::).....  how many transformations AND how long did each one last? ???

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
Ahh the rope, maze, and the ball pit, the air guns, that place was great. Climbing up the hollow "tree" was always great. Both Hucks Hideaway and Tom Sawyers Landing
 (formerly Hermans Hermits I am pretty sure) were all amazing places. I wonder what the treehouse looks like inside. Injun Joes cave (of stars) always reminded me of a weird music video, I wanted a room like that in my house!

Rube, it was the end of Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel when he walks away covered in little lights...lol. That was my favorite part of the treehouse. :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
In fact that is the exact one sis! Funny how either I have pushed that memory onto you, or we both we subjected to too much MTV in the early 80's!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
I don't remember the cave ever being called Injun Joe's Cave. They must have put  a sign up after I left the park. The room with all the lights in it making it look like  you were in space was called the "Infinity Room." The music was an electronic blipping noise, which was something recorded in the late, late 1960's or early 1970's. I never remember any other music played in there, unless it was changed after 1983 or 84.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
Come to think of it, I also remember the cave as "Injun Joe's Cave."  I don't remember "Infinity Room," but this is probably like around 1983-85, so I guess it may have changed by then.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
Hey hey! someone other than a relative of mine agreeing about the existance of Injun Joe's Cave! Infinity room was the same place, just later in the existance.