Author Topic: Huck Finn's Tree Fort  (Read 54348 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Huck Finn's Tree Fort
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »
^^My guess would be that parents were losing their kids when they entered the tree fort and exited from the toy store.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »
^Yeah, that makes sense.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
I think I am getting teary from reading what a great place this was. I dont remember it to well considering I was so little. I remember the ball pit cuz they had the slides along the far wall and I was so little it was an effort to get to them. I look at where they were and its not that big of a space....anyway. I miss the tree house and all the memories everyone has. I just wish my son could have enjoyed it the way we did.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
For a brief history of the treehouse, check out my Flickr site and go back into it a page or so and look for an article I wrote titled "Lost" Rides and Attractions of Silver Dollar City.  The treehouse, known by various names as the theme was altered a bit...Herman the Hermit's Treetop House, Rocky's Root Beer Factory, and Huck Finn's Hideaway...was a favorite attraction. As you know, it's been closed since about 2005 or so, likely because of handicapped accessibility laws now in place and because it's very old, and probably a bit too rickety. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
that is a shame, I do remember it as a much younger person.  wish the kids now could enjoy the "old majic".

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
majic??  what that majic?  LOL...  no spell check here......  MAGIC!!!!!!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
I have emailed SDC about the fort and asked for any information on it and this is the reply

Thank you for your email. Your input is very important to us and will be shared with the general manager and management team.

I will post more when I get more information. I hope they are not just blowin train smoke up my skirts.........
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
I just got back from Silver Dollar City this week, and although the tree fort is obviously still closed off, let's just all be so very thankful that it is still standing! It was glistening in the sunlight, and I took several pictures of it.  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
Another good project for winter this year would be a rehab of the tree house! They could also put children's attractions in the area around and below it...see saws, climbing obsticles, swings, simple, easy to maintain playground stuff. Perhaps a few benches and picnic tables for those who get food at the sandwich and pie shop across from it. Would it really cost that much to do it? Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
This would really make my day. I miss that tree house.
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
good point junior..  would be a fairly economical fix...  be nice if it would happen.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
Well, it does beg the question as to why it is still standing? Do they plan on doing something with it in the future, or is it just cheaper to leave it as boarded up eye candy? I guess I can't complain too much. However, I hope the former proves true rather than the latter. :P

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 12:03:05 AM »
I guess I am the odd man out -- I have no emotional attachment to it.  It is an eyesore in my opinion and should just be taken all the way out.

Sorry to trample on some of your emotional parties, but it is not going to reopen.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:16 AM »
I think they're leaving it up partly for sentiment, partly because of the costs of taking it down, and partly due to the fact that they don't have anything lined up to replace it. There's no way it can be restored. Even if it is indeed structurally sound, they'd have to put in an elevator for ADA access and rebuild the trunk/bridge so people could actually fit through it. I very much doubt that would be worth it for the park.

I wouldn't mind seeing it taken down if they replaced it with a couple of good shops to boost mid-town. That area is kind of a backwoods now.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
Loved it as a kid, and I think about sneaking up there every visit. But... I begrudgingly agree.... progress is inevitable. It will eventually come down, regardless of how many memories we have about it. Is it Safe, no. would it still be Fun, yes!

I almost do not want to go back up though. I would not want to tarnish the image in my head, of the air rifles, the star room, the spiral staircase tree, the door to the toy store( that is now non-existant). It is like revisiting your old  elementary, or middle school. It seems well, older, smaller, not quite as cool as it was when you were they 15-20 yrs ago. I will continue to photograph it, and maybe if the opportunity ever did come up for a last trip up...who knows maybe I would compromise my memories for one last look.